5,594,700 Members 33,614 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android Malware Now Capable of Recording Your Phone Calls !!!

Tip us?
srikanth.naidu Old
Thanks Meter
Exclamation Android Malware Now Capable of Recording Your Phone Calls !!!

A new find by the researchers at CA Security have unearthed a new kind of malware on andriod which can record infected devices conversations and uploads it to a remote server !

Andriodians beware
Source: http://community.ca.com/blogs/securi...ersations.aspx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xHausx
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4457

DONATE TO ME
Another reason why it's important to check the permissions for an app before installing it. I'm bad about sometimes just hitting ok without looking but usually I'll go back and check afterwards just in case.

Check out Permissions Denied and Privacy Blocker in the market, they are both good apps that will prevent apps from getting permission to do stuff you don't want them to. Just be aware that the affected app may FC if it tries to do something and you have it blocked. I believe CM7 now is also able to block permissions on an app by app basis.
The Following User Says Thank You to xHausx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Terghan
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I usually have some sort of security installed on my phone. Regardless of checking apps before you install them, is this something I should continue to do? I flash new ROM's / ROM updates quite often, and I worry sometimes that it may be a good idea to make sure that Lookout, which is the anti-virus / anti-malware program that I use is installed before I do anything else.

blyss
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I usually try to read the permissions, and some apps go out of their way to use permissions that are not necessary. I have been using Lookout Mobile Security, but I am not sure how well it works.
srikanth.naidu Old
(Last edited by srikanth.naidu; 7th August 2011 at 07:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter
I think its time phone makers start inculcating permission management as in CM 7 in to there builds to help user's control these things. You could also use LBE Privacy guard, to control apps.

LuvMyDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHausx View Post
Another reason why it's important to check the permissions for an app before installing it. I'm bad about sometimes just hitting ok without looking but usually I'll go back and check afterwards just in case.

Check out Permissions Denied and Privacy Blocker in the market, they are both good apps that will prevent apps from getting permission to do stuff you don't want them to. Just be aware that the affected app may FC if it tries to do something and you have it blocked. I believe CM7 now is also able to block permissions on an app by app basis.
Another nice app for this is called LBE Privacy Guard. I'm also a bit lax on checking before installing, but LBE will ask you in your notification window to confirm each perm. Allowing you to choose permit, ask each time it needs it, or deny access all together. I use it to deny access for network on games that don't need it to function and phone identification for almost all apps as most really don't need that info to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to LuvMyDroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ToBe_HH
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default Which software to record calls?

Hi there,

as far as I know you cannot really record calls in Android becuase you can not intercept the phone directly. Therefore basically all phone recording software requires you to switch to speaker mode and records the call via the microphone (which may result in very bad audio quality, depending on your location).

Or is there now another (a better) way to record calls? Does an app exist, which records calls?

Kind regards,

∵ ToBe

Ciela
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBe_HH View Post
as far as I know you cannot really record calls in Android becuase you can not intercept the phone directly. Therefore basically all phone recording software requires you to switch to speaker mode and records the call via the microphone (which may result in very bad audio quality, depending on your location).
That was my understanding of it as well.. heck for the Desire you need to be rooted, flash a specially-modified kernel, and have the correct radio ROM flashed.

necrohades
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBe_HH View Post
Hi there,

Or is there now another (a better) way to record calls? Does an app exist, which records calls?

Kind regards,

∵ ToBe

there is one, works well with sony ericsson x10 mini pro, from android market

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

outchard
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I installed "LBE Security Service". (needs root) : works great
The author writes:
Protect your privacy by controlling the permission of each application to access your sensitive data.
- Block malicious operation from Mal-wares and Trojans.
- Block unwanted network traffic if you donít have a unlimited data plan.
- Find out which application is trying to steal your privacy by checking the security log.