Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Android Malware Now Capable of Recording Your Phone Calls !!!

OP srikanth.naidu

srikanth.naidu
7th August 2011, 03:10 AM   |  #1  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
A new find by the researchers at CA Security have unearthed a new kind of malware on andriod which can record infected devices conversations and uploads it to a remote server !

Andriodians beware
Source: http://community.ca.com/blogs/securi...ersations.aspx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th August 2011, 07:35 AM   |  #2  
xHausx's Avatar
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 4,537
 
6,781 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Donate to Me
More
Another reason why it's important to check the permissions for an app before installing it. I'm bad about sometimes just hitting ok without looking but usually I'll go back and check afterwards just in case.

Check out Permissions Denied and Privacy Blocker in the market, they are both good apps that will prevent apps from getting permission to do stuff you don't want them to. Just be aware that the affected app may FC if it tries to do something and you have it blocked. I believe CM7 now is also able to block permissions on an app by app basis.
The Following User Says Thank You to xHausx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th August 2011, 11:16 AM   |  #3  
Member
Rapid City, SD
Thanks Meter: 1
 
60 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
More
I usually have some sort of security installed on my phone. Regardless of checking apps before you install them, is this something I should continue to do? I flash new ROM's / ROM updates quite often, and I worry sometimes that it may be a good idea to make sure that Lookout, which is the anti-virus / anti-malware program that I use is installed before I do anything else.
7th August 2011, 07:22 PM   |  #4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
I usually try to read the permissions, and some apps go out of their way to use permissions that are not necessary. I have been using Lookout Mobile Security, but I am not sure how well it works.
srikanth.naidu
7th August 2011, 08:23 PM   |  #5  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
I think its time phone makers start inculcating permission management as in CM 7 in to there builds to help user's control these things. You could also use LBE Privacy guard, to control apps.
Last edited by srikanth.naidu; 7th August 2011 at 08:33 PM.
8th August 2011, 12:57 PM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Flag Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 2
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHausx

Another reason why it's important to check the permissions for an app before installing it. I'm bad about sometimes just hitting ok without looking but usually I'll go back and check afterwards just in case.

Check out Permissions Denied and Privacy Blocker in the market, they are both good apps that will prevent apps from getting permission to do stuff you don't want them to. Just be aware that the affected app may FC if it tries to do something and you have it blocked. I believe CM7 now is also able to block permissions on an app by app basis.

Another nice app for this is called LBE Privacy Guard. I'm also a bit lax on checking before installing, but LBE will ask you in your notification window to confirm each perm. Allowing you to choose permit, ask each time it needs it, or deny access all together. I use it to deny access for network on games that don't need it to function and phone identification for almost all apps as most really don't need that info to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to LuvMyDroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th August 2011, 02:06 PM   |  #7  
ToBe_HH's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Donate to Me
Which software to record calls?
Hi there,

as far as I know you cannot really record calls in Android becuase you can not intercept the phone directly. Therefore basically all phone recording software requires you to switch to speaker mode and records the call via the microphone (which may result in very bad audio quality, depending on your location).

Or is there now another (a better) way to record calls? Does an app exist, which records calls?

Kind regards,

∵ ToBe
8th August 2011, 02:46 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 3
 
114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBe_HH

as far as I know you cannot really record calls in Android becuase you can not intercept the phone directly. Therefore basically all phone recording software requires you to switch to speaker mode and records the call via the microphone (which may result in very bad audio quality, depending on your location).

That was my understanding of it as well.. heck for the Desire you need to be rooted, flash a specially-modified kernel, and have the correct radio ROM flashed.
8th August 2011, 02:58 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Flag Quezon City
Thanks Meter: 27
 
206 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBe_HH

Hi there,

as far as I know you cannot really record calls in Android becuase you can not intercept the phone directly. Therefore basically all phone recording software requires you to switch to speaker mode and records the call via the microphone (which may result in very bad audio quality, depending on your location).

Or is there now another (a better) way to record calls? Does an app exist, which records calls?

Kind regards,

∵ ToBe


there is one, works well with sony ericsson x10 mini pro, from android market

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
8th August 2011, 04:56 PM   |  #10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2009
More
I installed "LBE Security Service". (needs root) : works great
The author writes:
Protect your privacy by controlling the permission of each application to access your sensitive data.
- Block malicious operation from Mal-wares and Trojans.
- Block unwanted network traffic if you donít have a unlimited data plan.
- Find out which application is trying to steal your privacy by checking the security log.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes