Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,022 Members 53,604 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][2.1+] Tablet Talk - Text Message (SMS) on your Tablet

Tip us?

apDroid
Old
(Last edited by justmpm; 18th May 2013 at 03:14 PM.) Reason: update
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113
Default [APP][2.1+] Tablet Talk - Text Message (SMS) on your Tablet

Tablet Talk is an application for text messaging (SMS) on tablets. It requires that the tablet be connected to an Android phone also running Tablet Talk. When a message is received on the phone, it is forwarded to the tablet. When a message is sent from the tablet, it is forwarded to the phone. The tablet and phone can be connected either via Bluetooth or a Wifi network. Tablet Talk also syncs messages you send and receive on your phone while not connected--when you connect, such messages will sync to the tablet. It has too many additional features to list, including caller ID notifications. Currently, you can mute or ignore incoming calls from the tablet, with more to come.

As of September 6th, Tablet Talk v1.0.0 has been published to the Android Market. However, the hope is that this thread will remain an active place for leaving feedback, requesting features, and releasing test versions with experimental features. As always, all suggestions and feedback are highly appreciated. If you have any questions feel free to ask here or via PM or email. Thanks for looking!

When posting issues, please include the following:
-Tablet: model/OS version and ROM (if not stock)
-Phone: model/OS version and ROM (if not stock)
-If the problem is with Bluetooth, Wifi, or both
Wifi mode: I recommend only using Wifi on trusted, secured networks--e.g. your home network

-------------------

Known issues:
-Not receiving messages? (One of the most emailed and reported "issues":) Are you using a third party SMS app on your phone such as GoSMS or Handcent? If so, please see the FAQ of Tablet Talk's help section for detailed instructions on fixing this problem. It requires a simple and quick change to your third party SMS app's settings. For example:
Handcent: Settings->Application Settings->Default Messaging application: set to "Disable".
Go SMS: Settings->Receive Settings->Disable other message notification: uncheck
After configuring the third party app, please open the Android SMS app that came on your phone. Go into its settings and disable notifications. This step is to prevent double notifications for incoming messages.
-MIUI ROMs: Make sure to allow the app permission to send SMS, otherwise it will crash on the phone whenever you try to send messages. New: disable "System MMS app priority" in MIUI's SMS app, otherwise it will block other SMS apps such as Tablet Talk or Go SMS.
-Infinite DHCP lease time: experiencing seemingly random and/or frequent disconnections when using Wifi? Please see Issue 20461 and Issue 18648 for more information. Huge thanks to Jon for this information!! This may explain some unresolved Wifi connection problems.
-Custom ROMs/kernels: If you experience frequent disconnections with Bluetooth and/or Wifi and are not using stock firmware on your phone and/or tablet, please try a different ROM or stock firmware. There have been numerous cases where users switched to a new ROM and disconnections ceased. If you do not want to deal with the hassle of switching ROMs then just email or PM me and I will take care of you no problem!
-Battery apps: numerous users have found that apps such as Juice Defender or CPU Tuner cause Tablet Talk to disconnect.
-------------------
TODO:
-UI improvements
-Cool stuff
-------------------
Changelog: (If a requested feature or reported bug is not listed then please feel free to post here or contact me again. Please note this list may be missing implemented changes)

v1.4+
-Changelog is in app's help section under "What's new"
The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to apDroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daveid
Old
(Last edited by daveid; 7th August 2011 at 08:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 296
Acer A500 running Honeyvillain 1.05a which is based on Acer's 3.1 release.
Nexus One running Cyanogenmod 7.1 RC1, 2.3.4.
As a daily use, I would do bluetooth. But, both worked for me (wifi disconnects randomly on my phone, so it is less preferential).
Any way to interact with the phone's notification system so that it stops the ringtone when the message is read on the tablet?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

doaneramma
Old
Thanks Meter 23
LG Optimus Pad 3.0.1 rooted
Motorola Atrix 2.3.4 running cherry pie
Bluetooth working great!

now if it could also have a caller id pop up like the Playbook, it would really be over the top cool!
The Following User Says Thank You to doaneramma For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

apDroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveid View Post
Acer A500 running Honeyvillain 1.05a which is based on Acer's 3.1 release.
Nexus One running Cyanogenmod 7.1 RC1, 2.3.4.
As a daily use, I would do bluetooth. But, both worked for me (wifi disconnects randomly on my phone, so it is less preferential).
Any way to interact with the phone's notification system so that it stops the ringtone when the message is read on the tablet?
Thank you for the feedback. When the phone disconnected, would the tablet always detect it and change to disconnected?

I am looking for a way to disable incoming text notifications on the phone without risking messages not being saved in the default SMS application inbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaneramma View Post
LG Optimus Pad 3.0.1 rooted
Motorola Atrix 2.3.4 running cherry pie
Bluetooth working great!

now if it could also have a caller id pop up like the Playbook, it would really be over the top cool!
That is in the next update
T-Mobile Vibrant (retired - backup and dev)
Galaxy Nexus - best phone ever made

Galaxy Tab 10.1
Nexus 7
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apDroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NoHousePhone
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Using Acer with the epic 4g all running stock. Epic on eg22. Working great so far. Minor thing. Number has to be in 123-123-1234 or 1234567890. I have it connected via Bluetooth.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHousePhone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

apDroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHousePhone View Post
Using Acer with the epic 4g all running stock. Epic on eg22. Working great so far. Minor thing. Number has to be in 123-123-1234 or 1234567890. I have it connected via Bluetooth.
Thanks! Is there a number format you were trying to use in "Compose new message" that it said was invalid? The way it is supposed to work now: it ignores any dashes, and allows any length numbers that may or may not be preceded by a +. Hence "123", "+1234", "23423234", etc are allowed.

Galaxy Tab 10.1
Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to apDroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

baseballfanz
Old
Thanks Meter 1,711
Can the icon in status bar be hidden?
The Following User Says Thank You to baseballfanz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NoHousePhone
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Some numbers are in (123) 123-4567 format.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

apDroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113
Quick update: by default, incoming call notifications are shown on the tablet. In the future there will be more options to control the sound and vibration for such notifications. If there is interest, conversation threads will also include call logs for received calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfanz View Post
Can the icon in status bar be hidden?
My only concern is the inability of the user to know if Tablet Talk is running in the background and if so, what exactly it is doing. I will think about this more, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHousePhone View Post
Some numbers are in (123) 123-4567 format.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
Whoops, fixed. Thank you again!

Galaxy Tab 10.1
Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to apDroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

andri2805
Old
(Last edited by andri2805; 8th August 2011 at 10:25 AM.) Reason: added gadget details
Thanks Meter 49
Aaron,
This has the potential to be something HUGE. Imagine all the people who've purchased
high-end smartphones and would like added functionality ala Playbook. Man, you could
make things such as the Asus Padphone and Moto Lap-Docks obsolete! Much luck to
you in perfecting and ENHANCING this app;fantastic effort mate.
-Andri

Phone(s) Moto MB511 Flipout Android 2.1 stock Blur
Tablet Archos 70 8GB Android 2.2 aos 2.3.81
WiFi+Bluetooth

The Following User Says Thank You to andri2805 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]