FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

Phone Not Charging Thread

497 posts
Thanks Meter: 53
 
By beartrap, Senior Member on 8th August 2011, 07:43 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
This is now happening on my replacement phone! I got the first phone replaced because it wasn't charging but now it's happening again on the replacement. It seems to only happen when the battery gets to 20% or lower. When it does this, it doesn't matter if it is USB or wall charging. I have been able to get the new phone to charge now twice by rebooting - one time it took three reboots. The first time it happened on my first phone the battery widget stuck on 50% and I didn't get the low battery warning and the battery went to 0 before I knew it and it took forever to begin charging again. I've been on different battery modes when it happens, so that isn't causing it.

I've mentioned this on a couple other threads and there's been others that responded it happened to them, so I thought I'd start a thread on this in case Motorola is monitoring this forum (they better be). Anyone else chime in here so we can get a feel for how widespread this may be.
 
 
8th August 2011, 08:39 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 70
 
More
Just let mine go down to 20 plugged up and its charging but im only on day one

Sent from my MB855 using XDA Premium App
8th August 2011, 09:41 AM |#3  
jfdebo779's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 26
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartrap

This is now happening on my replacement phone! I got the first phone replaced because it wasn't charging but now it's happening again on the replacement. It seems to only happen when the battery gets to 20% or lower. When it does this, it doesn't matter if it is USB or wall charging. I have been able to get the new phone to charge now twice by rebooting - one time it took three reboots. The first time it happened on my first phone the battery widget stuck on 50% and I didn't get the low battery warning and the battery went to 0 before I knew it and it took forever to begin charging again. I've been on different battery modes when it happens, so that isn't causing it.

I've mentioned this on a couple other threads and there's been others that responded it happened to them, so I thought I'd start a thread on this in case Motorola is monitoring this forum (they better be). Anyone else chime in here so we can get a feel for how widespread this may be.

Have you tried doing a hard reset and letting the phone sit for 20 minutes. It could be some kind of bug. I know mine had some force closes on the first day. I did a hard reset from recovery and let the phone sit at first boot. Then did a reboot and have had no problems since.
8th August 2011, 09:45 AM |#4  
jfdebo779's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Louisville
Thanks Meter: 26
 
Donate to Me
More
Master reset for photon 4g.
http://https://motorola-global-porta...ory-data-reset
8th August 2011, 02:36 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Antonio, TX (Bexar county, you figure it out)
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdebo779

Have you tried doing a hard reset and letting the phone sit for 20 minutes. It could be some kind of bug. I know mine had some force closes on the first day. I did a hard reset from recovery and let the phone sit at first boot. Then did a reboot and have had no problems since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdebo779

http://https://motorola-global-porta...ory-data-reset

I did a factory reset on the first phone and that didn't change this problem.
8th August 2011, 06:09 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 314
 
More
I haven't seen this problem on my phone. Best thing to do is report it to the Motorola forums and have them look at it especially if many others are experiencing the same issue.

In the mean time, you possibly could have another bad unit. Not sure why it would not charge when the battery hits 20% or lower. Also what battery widget are you using?
8th August 2011, 06:49 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Antonio, TX (Bexar county, you figure it out)
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdabbs

I haven't seen this problem on my phone. Best thing to do is report it to the Motorola forums and have them look at it especially if many others are experiencing the same issue.

In the mean time, you possibly could have another bad unit. Not sure why it would not charge when the battery hits 20% or lower. Also what battery widget are you using?

Good idea on the Moto forums. I have tried Battery Monitor widget, Circle Battery widget and Battery Notifier (big text) widget. No one widget was in use or installed for every instance I had a battery charge problem, but I guess it may be more than one widget with potential interferences. Has anyone else been using any of these widgets and not experienced this problem?
8th August 2011, 06:52 PM |#8  
tx_dbs_tx's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Texas, USA
Thanks Meter: 3,406
 
Donate to Me
More
@Beartrap

What battery widgets etc have you installed? Sounds like a compatability issue with something that was installed. Try using the phone completely stock with no custom widgets installed. If you can get the phone back to stock out of box condition that would be the best way to troubleshoot this problem. I doubt it's another bad phone.
8th August 2011, 06:55 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Antonio, TX (Bexar county, you figure it out)
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_dbs_tx

@Beartrap

What battery widgets etc have you installed? Sounds like a compatability issue with something that was installed. Try using the phone completely stock with no custom widgets installed. If you can get the phone back to stock out of box condition that would be the best way to troubleshoot this problem. I doubt it's another bad phone.

I agree it's not a bad phone, but some bug either in the phone or installed app/widget. I'd like to know what battery widgets people are using that haven't had this issue so I know what's safe.
8th August 2011, 07:00 PM |#10  
tx_dbs_tx's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Texas, USA
Thanks Meter: 3,406
 
Donate to Me
More
Not exactly related to battery widgets but i have noticed that Estrong's, Astro and File Expert file managers do not work correctly on my Photon. They don't show the full capacity of my 16gb sd card and they also don't show all the files in my download folder. So I'm thinking theirs going to be more incompatability issues with this phone until app developers get some updates rolled out for this phone.

As for battery widgets, i don't use them. I use the stock battery ifo that is included with the Photon. Sorry I can't give any help with that. but I'm pretty sure the widgets in the Android Market will not be fully compatible with the Photon. Uninstall everything you installed from the market and use your phone for a day or so and see how it acts.
Last edited by tx_dbs_tx; 8th August 2011 at 07:04 PM.
8th August 2011, 10:38 PM |#11  
cobrahicks's Avatar
Member
Flag Michigan
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
I'm having the same issue, i'm not using any sorta battery widget/app, just stock(non-rooted).

Its been charging for about 4 hours today and went from 20% to 30% and its hot, really hot.

I've had it since day one and seems to match what the OP is saying about once it goes below 20-30% it has a hard time charging but like i mentioned before, mine gets toasty when its failing at charging.

Also had an issue while streaming from google music beta, went from 100 to 20% in <2 hours and once again it was hot as the devil's dick then it wouldn't charge.
Last edited by cobrahicks; 8th August 2011 at 10:41 PM.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, charge, charging
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes