Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,404 Members 49,197 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Phone Not Charging Thread

Tip us?

beartrap
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Exclamation Phone Not Charging Thread

This is now happening on my replacement phone! I got the first phone replaced because it wasn't charging but now it's happening again on the replacement. It seems to only happen when the battery gets to 20% or lower. When it does this, it doesn't matter if it is USB or wall charging. I have been able to get the new phone to charge now twice by rebooting - one time it took three reboots. The first time it happened on my first phone the battery widget stuck on 50% and I didn't get the low battery warning and the battery went to 0 before I knew it and it took forever to begin charging again. I've been on different battery modes when it happens, so that isn't causing it.

I've mentioned this on a couple other threads and there's been others that responded it happened to them, so I thought I'd start a thread on this in case Motorola is monitoring this forum (they better be). Anyone else chime in here so we can get a feel for how widespread this may be.
LG G2 on AT&T
Nexus 7 2013
Samsung ATIV5

criptix
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Just let mine go down to 20 plugged up and its charging but im only on day one

Sent from my MB855 using XDA Premium App

jfdebo779
Old
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartrap View Post
This is now happening on my replacement phone! I got the first phone replaced because it wasn't charging but now it's happening again on the replacement. It seems to only happen when the battery gets to 20% or lower. When it does this, it doesn't matter if it is USB or wall charging. I have been able to get the new phone to charge now twice by rebooting - one time it took three reboots. The first time it happened on my first phone the battery widget stuck on 50% and I didn't get the low battery warning and the battery went to 0 before I knew it and it took forever to begin charging again. I've been on different battery modes when it happens, so that isn't causing it.

I've mentioned this on a couple other threads and there's been others that responded it happened to them, so I thought I'd start a thread on this in case Motorola is monitoring this forum (they better be). Anyone else chime in here so we can get a feel for how widespread this may be.
Have you tried doing a hard reset and letting the phone sit for 20 minutes. It could be some kind of bug. I know mine had some force closes on the first day. I did a hard reset from recovery and let the phone sit at first boot. Then did a reboot and have had no problems since.

jfdebo779
Old
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
Default Master reset for photon 4g.

http://https://motorola-global-porta...ory-data-reset

beartrap
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdebo779 View Post
Have you tried doing a hard reset and letting the phone sit for 20 minutes. It could be some kind of bug. I know mine had some force closes on the first day. I did a hard reset from recovery and let the phone sit at first boot. Then did a reboot and have had no problems since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdebo779 View Post
I did a factory reset on the first phone and that didn't change this problem.
LG G2 on AT&T
Nexus 7 2013
Samsung ATIV5

ericdabbs
Old
Thanks Meter 309
I haven't seen this problem on my phone. Best thing to do is report it to the Motorola forums and have them look at it especially if many others are experiencing the same issue.

In the mean time, you possibly could have another bad unit. Not sure why it would not charge when the battery hits 20% or lower. Also what battery widget are you using?

beartrap
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
I haven't seen this problem on my phone. Best thing to do is report it to the Motorola forums and have them look at it especially if many others are experiencing the same issue.

In the mean time, you possibly could have another bad unit. Not sure why it would not charge when the battery hits 20% or lower. Also what battery widget are you using?
Good idea on the Moto forums. I have tried Battery Monitor widget, Circle Battery widget and Battery Notifier (big text) widget. No one widget was in use or installed for every instance I had a battery charge problem, but I guess it may be more than one widget with potential interferences. Has anyone else been using any of these widgets and not experienced this problem?
LG G2 on AT&T
Nexus 7 2013
Samsung ATIV5

tx_dbs_tx
Old
Thanks Meter 230
@Beartrap

What battery widgets etc have you installed? Sounds like a compatability issue with something that was installed. Try using the phone completely stock with no custom widgets installed. If you can get the phone back to stock out of box condition that would be the best way to troubleshoot this problem. I doubt it's another bad phone.

beartrap
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_dbs_tx View Post
@Beartrap

What battery widgets etc have you installed? Sounds like a compatability issue with something that was installed. Try using the phone completely stock with no custom widgets installed. If you can get the phone back to stock out of box condition that would be the best way to troubleshoot this problem. I doubt it's another bad phone.
I agree it's not a bad phone, but some bug either in the phone or installed app/widget. I'd like to know what battery widgets people are using that haven't had this issue so I know what's safe.
LG G2 on AT&T
Nexus 7 2013
Samsung ATIV5

tx_dbs_tx
Old
(Last edited by tx_dbs_tx; 8th August 2011 at 07:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 230
Not exactly related to battery widgets but i have noticed that Estrong's, Astro and File Expert file managers do not work correctly on my Photon. They don't show the full capacity of my 16gb sd card and they also don't show all the files in my download folder. So I'm thinking theirs going to be more incompatability issues with this phone until app developers get some updates rolled out for this phone.

As for battery widgets, i don't use them. I use the stock battery ifo that is included with the Photon. Sorry I can't give any help with that. but I'm pretty sure the widgets in the Android Market will not be fully compatible with the Photon. Uninstall everything you installed from the market and use your phone for a day or so and see how it acts.

Tags
battery, charge, charging