XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Screen off when useing HDMI

Tip us?

smd3235
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Screen off when useing HDMI

this was asked in another fourm but never got a solid answer. I have my tablet connected to my TV in my bedroom and it is connected to my media server so i can watch movies from it and have it displayed on the tv. The issue is im staring at the tablet and TV both screens are on. Here is the question that the other user asked on the other fourm

"Is it possible to turn the a500 display off when connecting to a TV using HDMI out? If you try to lock the device (hit the power button), it halts the device completely. There is not brightness option for "completely off," so that's not an option. Ideally, I'd like to save battery if I'm watching a movie via HDMI.

Does this require a 3rd party app, if so, do you know of any? Thanks in advance! "

dito33
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Yeah I stumbled on that one too and I don't think you can I hope someone prove me wrong I hope.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

sanaell
Old
Thanks Meter 68
it's dual screen so no way to turn it off, unless Acer decide to do it so...

but why not just cover the screen..... with the case..
My 4Shared Folder

Acer Iconia A500:
download qrcode
link: firmware, utilities, root

Acer Liquid Metal S120:
download qrcode
link: firmware

tu3218
Old
Thanks Meter 242
I think the point of turning it off is to save battery. I also am in the same position. I use it to watch netflix on my upstairs tv but it sucks cause it depletes the battery quicker then if I could just turn the screen off on the tablet. Hopefully something can done to resolve this. Maybe a mod or something.

sanaell
Old
Thanks Meter 68
don't tell me that you are not going to watch 8 hours in a row movies from the tablet on your TV.... without plugin on power your tablet... or even if you are in a friends house, you are watching a 3 hours movies but you will not stick to your tablet 8 straight hours...
or you bring your powercharger...
My 4Shared Folder

Acer Iconia A500:
download qrcode
link: firmware, utilities, root

Acer Liquid Metal S120:
download qrcode
link: firmware

mburke178
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanaell View Post
don't tell me that you are not going to watch 8 hours in a row movies from the tablet on your TV.... without plugin on power your tablet... or even if you are in a friends house, you are watching a 3 hours movies but you will not stick to your tablet 8 straight hours...
or you bring your powercharger...
+1 +1 +1 +1, if you wanna use it as a dvd player plug it in.

Ragnorok64
Old
Thanks Meter 1
You could conceivably use Widgetsoid or something similar to reduce screen brightness to 0%.

trevoryour
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Has anyone tried looking at Tasker to see if it has functionality to allowing this?

vanisleguy1976
Old
Thanks Meter 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorok64 View Post
You could conceivably use Widgetsoid or something similar to reduce screen brightness to 0%.
But if you reduce the screen brightness to zero, will it not in turn reduce the output to your tv to zero? As far as I know, the tv will show exactly what the tablet shows. As someone else pointed out, just close the case. That's what I do! And heck yes, plug the tablet in so you can enjoy the awesomeness longer

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy S3 (Rogers Edition)
HTC EVO3D GSM
Acer Iconia A500

Ragnorok64
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisleguy1976 View Post
But if you reduce the screen brightness to zero, will it not in turn reduce the output to your tv to zero? As far as I know, the tv will show exactly what the tablet shows. As someone else pointed out, just close the case. That's what I do! And heck yes, plug the tablet in so you can enjoy the awesomeness longer

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk
Changing the brightness on the tablet does not affect the brightness of what's output over HDMI.

Also note that I said "conceivably" I woudn't suggest actually lowering the brightness to 0%, and hitting OK, it'd be difficult to get it back up whiel blind poking.