[SCRIPT] Adblock Script and Updater
I put together a small shell script to make it easy for anyone rooted to block ads and check to see if they have the latest version I keep of adhosts. If after checking you do not have the latest, it will download it for you automatically.
What does this script do (in a nutshell):
1) Checks to see if you have the latest version of ad hosts for adblocking from me
2) If you do not have the latest, it will download it for you
3) If you have the latest, it just exits out, no changes
4) Installs the script to your /system/xbin directory so the next time you just have to type:
and it will run the script for you
How to run this?
Get this if you are using an AOSP ROM:
1) Download it from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24904191/blockads
Try this if you are using a SENSE ROM (thanks chrootz for the fixes):
*** If you have troubles getting the script to work, try updating your system to the latest version of busybox
(stick it in /system/xbin and overwrite the current version of busybox, then change the permissions to 755 and owner and group to root) ***
2) Move it to /data/local/tmp (if you dont have it, create it) from a file explorer with root permissions (must set the system in r/w mode) or from the terminal shell
3) make sure the script has the right permissions by typing:
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/blockads
in the terminal shell (in the emulator or whatever you use to get to it)
4) run the script by typing
5) let it do its thing
After its done you can run it again anytime from the terminal by typing
as already mentioned.
I'm working on making it a GUI app next (with more features), but this should tie anyone who wants it over until then
Anyone who finds any adservers and wants me to add them to the list, feel free to list them here and I will add them.
2011-12-01: Updated to block carrieriq