[PUDDING] Photon/Electrify Pudding bootloader unlock [Updated: 12/10/2011]
Use of the following has been know to cause bricks and/or loss of functions in most of the devices it was attempted on. Because of this, the Thread was permanently closed. However the files will remain to assist in further development. Additionally, there is no promise if any of the links still work. So if you choose to mess with these files, you do so knowing it will probably brick your device.
Moscow Desire, XDA Moderator
WARNINGS: READ ALL OF THIS BEFORE CONTINUING
1. All phones
You most likely will lose 4g data connectivity from using this, hopefully a workaround is on the horizon.
2. All phones
This has received limited testing, use at your own risk and accept that there may be a risk of hard bricks now or in the future (Unless you get your SBK.)
3. All phones
Charge your phone, all the way please.
4. Use at your own risk. Have a backup phone, insurance plan or other means of recovering from a possible brick or loss of functionality. You are using experimental software at your own risk.
Works/Does not work list
Sprint en/us 45.2.5: Warning: Loss of 4g connectivity very likely
Electrify 2.3.5: Danger: Untested, I do not own one and cannot test
8/30/2011 Added stock recovery image for those wishing to use pudding remover.
8/25/2011 Pudding remover added. This restores your stock bootloader. 4G will be restored but your phone will be locked again. This is only the bootloader, so system changes will not be removed (root, recovery, program data, etc). Having the custom recovery still installed
with the locked bootloader may cause problems (soft-brick, you will need to use full sbf or re-unlock and flash back the stock recovery). will cause you to soft brick. You will need to reflash the unlocker to recover and either leave it unlocked or restore the stock recovery and use the pudding remover afterwards. Thank you tuxy for being the only one basically willing to test this.
8/16/2011 Just a quick update on the 4g issue, most likely this will go unresolved until your kernel source is released and someone with the appropriate skills in kernel hacking fixes your ATAGS passed by the bootloader. For now you can either be unlocked and use 3g, or locked and use Wimax/4g. Pick your poison, at least neither is a permanent thing.
Who does/doesn't need this.
You need this if:
1) You need to flash custom single partitions such as system, osh, boot.img, recovery, or data.
2) Mainly for testing custom kernels, see number one.
3) You have a real ROM with a custom kernel, like CM7 or MIUI, and want to flash it.
You don't need this if:
1) Number one in the last section doesn't make any sense to you or sounds like gibberish.
2) You wanna show your friends how much cooler or better than them you are.
3) You just want to install P-ROMs and Themes.
You want pudding for Photon? There is pudding in space too!
1mb bootloader only
Use this to unlock after flashing pudding sbf (not available), also to flash custom partitions.
for windows thanks to romracer. Direct Download Link
for linux in several flavors thanks to eval-.
You may need to reinstall drivers after the unlock.
RSDLite 5.5 Download
64bit windows drivers
1) Make sure you are on the stock Recovery. If not, flash the image I provided below using this command:
fastboot flash recovery stock_recovery.smg
2) Flash the nopudding4u sbf using RSDLite or sbf_flash.
- 3.6mb stock recovery image from CM5
- 1mb bootloader only, stock locked bootloader. For those of you who want a quick way to return to 4G.
Is your phone fully charged?
This should be first thing you check whenever you flash anything.
0) Back up all your apps and anything else you want to keep that is stored in /data, YOU WILL LOSE ALL FILES IN /DATA
1) Flash the pudding sbf file via sbf_flash(*nix/Mac) or RSDLITE(Windows).
2) Get moto-fastboot in your $PATH or at least in the same directory as the command line you open.
3) Open a command line or well, linux users know what to do, in the folder with pudding.
4) Type moto-fastboot oem unlock
5) Look for the UNIQUE ID number and copy it, use copy or your fat fingers might mistype it.
6) Type moto-fastboot oem unlock YOUR_UNIQUE_ID_THAT_YOU_JUST_COPIED
Here is a picture of the steps on a windows command line (yes, I renamed moto-fastboot to just fastboot on my PC.) The blurry bits are where YOUR unique ID shows/is entered.
A moto-fastboot flashable /system image
with su already in /system/bin (pre-reooted) This is based of the system in Yay4jugg's thread
(NB: you need to be unlocked to flash this
0) Make sure your phone is charged.
1) Boot your phone in to fastboot mode, connected to PC.
2) At the prompt/cmdline type moto-fastboot flash system system.img
3) Make sure you have superuser app installed from market.
Romracer's official CWM thread for Photon
Calkculin's CWM thread
A video guide on how to root and install CWM for unlocked Bootloaders
Shabby's OC kernel
1) Don't panic.
2) Stop panicing.
3). If you get the following error messages, try restarting the flash process from the start:
- The "secure_motorola_flash" interface could not be found the super-file is secure and for re-flash, the phone needs a super-file that is not secure and for reflash. (0x7066)
4) Just try and go through with the unlock process anyhow
5) Try a different USB port, this is most likely because windows will reinstall all the drivers.
6) Try a different version of RSD Lite.
7) Make sure you put your phone in to USB NONE before plugging it back in. If you do not do this your system will not install all the devices correctly. Alternately, try Motorola Phone Portal mode.
8) Last resort PM me with very specific information about your problem and if applicable screen shots from your computer or phone.
Big thanks to Yay4juggs and Edgan.
The attached file below is only for Electrify owners and is untested
MOD EDIT: Attachment Removed