XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Support for Japanese input from the keyboard

Tip us?

Kumabjorn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Question [Q] Support for Japanese input from the keyboard

Noobie posting with certain trepidation (just watched the video).

Got the Transformer and would like to use the Keyboard for Japanese input when docked. Settings has support for Japanese as system language but in the Language & Keyboard section there isn't anything for Japanese support.

I have OpenWnn Flick and can type Japanese on the screen, but not from the keyboard (also the OpenWnn Flick pulls out a huge orange plate when flicking).

Does anyone know how I can write Japanese using the keyboard?

Kumabjorn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Angry Solution (sort of)

After a lot of experimentation, I have come up with a workable solution to my own problem (insert preferred snarky remark here). I post it here in case someone else runs into this problem and is doing a search.

Install OpenWnn/Flick, have the Transformer docked and select OpenWnn/Flick as your "input device". Try typing. You should see the regular alphanumeric letters appearing. Now touch the screen so the cursor locater (a yellowish arrowhead) appears. Type again. If you get underlined alphanumeric letters appearing you are on track. Now enter Shift+Space bar, type again. This time you'll get 日本語入力。So it is doable, not the prettiest of solutions and there are severe limitations for editing during input.

eloisant
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Any news on that front, new applications that work better?

I'm interested by the transformer but lack of smooth Japanese input may be a deal breaker... And I don't really want to buy a Japanese version because I heard the updates are lagging.

Kumabjorn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
It works flawlessly with OpenWnn, I use FlickWnn. You need to have it docked. Then you tap the screen so you get a cursor with a green arrow once you have that you are ready for input. If you begin writing now you get English (for Japanese) and you will recognize that because input is underlined and there are suggestions below the screen. If you now enter Shift+Space bar you should get a Hiragana あ on the status bar. You are now ready to enter Japanese.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Tags
hardware, japanese, keyboard