Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,832 Members 50,442 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Script] WiFi Only (Great for devices no longer activated)

Tip us?

CondemnedSoul
Old
(Last edited by CondemnedSoul; 16th August 2011 at 09:35 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1955

DONATE TO ME
Default [Script] WiFi Only (Great for devices no longer activated)

Scary Alien for helping with some of my brainstorms
CPCookieMan for pointing me in the right direction with my initial thoughts for this project
MongooseHelix for the idea of the script vs a flashable zip

This is a very simple script that utilizes the radiooptions command to disable the radio but still allow use of WiFi without having to use airplane mode. Great for people who just upgraded and want to use their older device for an mp3 player with WiFi access. I wanted to make it to be run in init.d on startup but haven't successfully got it working that way yet so for now it can be run with script manager. This script can be run as follows:

1. Download the script and place it somewhere on your SD Card. (Maybe make a folder named Scripts to keep things organized)

2. Download Script Manager from the market.

3. Open Script Manager and navigate to where you saved the script then select the script.

4. Check the options for run as root and if you always use wifi only because you don't have service on your device check off Run at boot as well.

5. When prompted by superuser allow superuser permissions.

I have tested this script on my Incredible and my Eris as well and should be universal to run on any android device.

Download Here

If you are using this on an inactive device and don't want the activation screen coming up after reboot and new ROM flash follow these simple steps.

*NOTE: you need to be using a ROM that has EPST.apk in it for this procedure to work.

1. Select emergency call and dial ##778.
2. Select edit and enter service password 000000.
3. Select NAM Settings.
4. Change Mobile Directory number to 0000000000 (Ten digits).
5. Change MIN1 to 0000000 (Seven digits).
6. Change Mobile Country Code to 000 (Three digits).
7. As you back out "Commit the Change".
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to CondemnedSoul For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cvbcbcmv
Old
Thanks Meter 205

DONATE TO ME
cool! Will this work on any rom? I guess it should. This is just what I've been looking for. I'm getting a second dinc to test roms, this won't be on a line so this will be perfect. I haven't flashed scripts before (however it sounds easy enough) is it easy to disable it?
Device history:
Palm Pre Plus (2009)-lit on fire
Droid Eris (2010)-sold
Droid Incredible (2010)-sold
HTC Rezound (2011)-returned on GN release date
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (2011)-Lost it :/
Kindle Fire (2012)-Collecting Dust
Nexus 7 (2012)-Current tablet-Clean rom
Samsung Galaxy S3 Pebble Blue (2012)-Sold
Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost (2013)-Current Phone

CondemnedSoul
Old
Thanks Meter 1955

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbcbcmv View Post
cool! Will this work on any rom? I guess it should. This is just what I've been looking for. I'm getting a second dinc to test roms, this won't be on a line so this will be perfect. I haven't flashed scripts before (however it sounds easy enough) is it easy to disable it?
Yes. It will work on any rooted device and any ROM. Just run through Script Manager and if you want to disable it change the settings within Script Manager to disable run on boot then reboot. It's that easy.

cvbcbcmv
Old
Thanks Meter 205

DONATE TO ME
hey, will this work on a nexus one? I'm getting one for rom testing instead of a second incredible, so, same deal. I would think this would work, but will it?
Device history:
Palm Pre Plus (2009)-lit on fire
Droid Eris (2010)-sold
Droid Incredible (2010)-sold
HTC Rezound (2011)-returned on GN release date
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (2011)-Lost it :/
Kindle Fire (2012)-Collecting Dust
Nexus 7 (2012)-Current tablet-Clean rom
Samsung Galaxy S3 Pebble Blue (2012)-Sold
Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost (2013)-Current Phone

CondemnedSoul
Old
Thanks Meter 1955

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbcbcmv View Post
hey, will this work on a nexus one? I'm getting one for rom testing instead of a second incredible, so, same deal. I would think this would work, but will it?
Yes.. It should work on any rooted device running any ROM. If you want to double check to be certain you can check inside the ROM for /system/bin/radiooptions, then you will know for certain it should work. The script uses that to shut down the radio.

T-Keith
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Cool, almost makes me wish I would have kept my Eris.
Moto X 32GB
Nexus 7 (2012)
HP printer with Zeen Tablet (2.2)
HP touchpads

jumperalex
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default tether?

So can this allow us to tether the wi-fi only phone to our new network phone? the idea being to use the non-network phone to stream pandora, use google maps, etc?

CondemnedSoul
Old
Thanks Meter 1955

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumperalex View Post
So can this allow us to tether the wi-fi only phone to our new network phone? the idea being to use the non-network phone to stream pandora, use google maps, etc?
Yes. That can be done or connected to a WiFi ap. Whatever you would like to do with it.

Sent from my ADR6300

Carnage9270
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quick question, I have an old incredible with a cracked screen I wanted to turn into an MP3 player like youre suggesting here. How exactly do I download from the market on a deactivated phone? Can't get past setup without the phone being activated.

CondemnedSoul
Old
Thanks Meter 1955

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage9270 View Post
Quick question, I have an old incredible with a cracked screen I wanted to turn into an MP3 player like youre suggesting here. How exactly do I download from the market on a deactivated phone? Can't get past setup without the phone being activated.
There is a way to get past that using ##778. I don't remember without going through it exactly what in all to do but i have a link at home
On ny comp and I can add the details when i get home.
Sent from my ADR6300