Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,856 Members 46,915 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Remove VCast Media Manager?

Tip us?

Yue Fairchild
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Remove VCast Media Manager?

I had a Droid Incredible 2 for a couple weeks, and when I plugged it into my computer it installed something called VCast Media Manager. It stays in my system tray whenever I restart windows. I don't see any way to uninstall it. What do I do to get rid of it?

kiint
Old
Thanks Meter 17
you have to uninstall it using Start Menu->Control Panels->Programs and Features
(if you are on a pC)

brw01730
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I have the same issue on two windows XP machines.

This path does not exist on XP: "Start Menu->Control Panels->Programs and Features"

I did go here: "Start Menu->Control Panels->Add or Remove Programs"

And there are no entries for Vcast or Verizon or Media Manager to uninstall. Anyone else having this issue?
The Following User Says Thank You to brw01730 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

artvandelay440
Old
Thanks Meter 1148

DONATE TO ME
you can remove it from the system tray on start up:

windows key+ R

run "msconfig"
go to startup tab
remove media manager from processes
apply and restart

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw01730 View Post
I have the same issue on two windows XP machines.

This path does not exist on XP: "Start Menu->Control Panels->Programs and Features"

I did go here: "Start Menu->Control Panels->Add or Remove Programs"

And there are no entries for Vcast or Verizon or Media Manager to uninstall. Anyone else having this issue?
If it's just a driver, uninstall it from Device Manager.
Try Copy, as opposed to Dropbox. Better, IMO:
https://copy.com?r=iXPemk

Follow me on Twitter for the most up to date info: https://twitter.com/#!/ArtVandelay440
My website with all the goods
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to artvandelay440 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brw01730
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks artvandelay440!

I launched msconfig and found that the name listed under "Startup Item" was VMMModeSelection. I assume this stands for VCast Media Manager Mode Selection, not too obvious.

The only way I realized it was the startup for VCast was by expanding the Command column which showed the path was "C:Program Files\HTC\ModeSelection\VMMModeSelection.exe"

Thanks again!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brw01730 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ginfest
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brw01730 View Post
Thanks artvandelay440!

I launched msconfig and found that the name listed under "Startup Item" was VMMModeSelection. I assume this stands for VCast Media Manager Mode Selection, not too obvious.

The only way I realized it was the startup for VCast was by expanding the Command column which showed the path was "C:Program Files\HTC\ModeSelection\VMMModeSelection.exe"

Thanks again!
Had the same issue and got rid of it. Thanks for the tip!

Syntax0111
Old
(Last edited by Syntax0111; 17th April 2013 at 04:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yue Fairchild View Post
I had a Droid Incredible 2 for a couple weeks, and when I plugged it into my computer it installed something called VCast Media Manager. It stays in my system tray whenever I restart windows. I don't see any way to uninstall it. What do I do to get rid of it?
So I've been dealing with having to look at the VCast Media Manager in my system tray for too long, so today, I decided to attack the problem. What I tried to no avail using Windows XP:

• Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs (was not listed)
  • msconfig - Now, although this does remove it from the system tray, it doesn't really get rid of it; you're just booting with a Selective Startup (which I have a problem with for some reason, OCD?).

Anyway, here's what I did:

Since the program isn't really configured (installed) I decided to simply remove the program from it's current directory (delete it). I apologize for not noting the exact directory but I believe it was somewhere in C:\Program Files\HTC\ModeSelection\VMMModeSelection.exe. This might be different depending on your device. Better yet, search your C: drive for VMMModeSelection.exe and delete the entire directory.

This stops it from running at startup but doesn't get rid of it in msconfig, so run a registry cleaner (I used CCleaner) and you're done.

Hope it helps someone else out there that prefers not to run a Selective Startup.

Syntax0111

simobk
Old
(Last edited by simobk; 17th May 2013 at 05:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Found this googling the same problem for the Droid DNA. I know the thread is old but I will update it because it's the first search result.

Here is the cleanest way to get rid of it

Removing it from the startup :
  • Start > Run > regedit then depending on your OS, navigate to :
    • Win32 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    • Win64 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
  • Delete VMM Mode Selection

Deleting the program :
  • Go to C:\Program Files\HTC
  • Delete ModeSelection

Hope it helps,

Simo

PS : This is valid in my Win7x64 system with a Verizon Droid DNA. Use at your own risk although you'd have to try real hard to cause any harm
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to simobk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gadgetdaddy
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by simobk View Post
Found this googling the same problem for the Droid DNA. I know the thread is old but I will update it because it's the first search result.

Here is the cleanest way to get rid of it

Removing it from the startup :
  • Start > Run > regedit then depending on your OS, navigate to :
    • Win32 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    • Win64 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
  • Delete VMM Mode Selection

Deleting the program :
  • Go to C:\Program Files\HTC
  • Delete ModeSelection

Hope it helps,

Simo

PS : This is valid in my Win7x64 system with a Verizon Droid DNA. Use at your own risk although you'd have to try real hard to cause any harm
It's the same in WinXP Pro (sp3)
What a pain this app has been.

Thanks simo

rprussell
Old
Thanks Meter 3
You guys are awesome. I was just going through and cleaning out old android device drivers and junk software, and I couldn't figure out where the heck this one lived.

Thanks!