Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,721 Members 52,119 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[WIP] PrimeUX - Samsung UX Port into Prime 1.6

Tip us?

rothnic
Old
(Last edited by rothnic; 16th August 2011 at 09:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 278
Default [WIP] PrimeUX - Samsung UX Port into Prime 1.6

Context: [DEV] Touchwiz for Transformer - xda-developers This was moved because there were no files to test.

What is this? This is based on Prime 1.6. All the samsung galaxy tab 10.1 specific files that run UX have been merged in. Then I decompiled the framework for both the TF and GT10.1, and merged in functionality into the TF framework. It has come a long way, and the launcher is usable. However, the statusbar does not come up because systemui.apk FC's.

PrimeUX: Download THIS IS NOT USABLE YET, PEOPLE WHO EDIT SMALI ONLY

You will get FC's from systemui, media, and myfiles. Media and myfiles could be avoided by leaving out more of the samsung files that fguy did not include in his. I assume it is because of the FC's.

This is meant for others to work on the systemui issue, not for any real use.

Porting Process:

Here was what I was using to decompile the framework. Drop all the files into the framework directory, then run decompile.bat and it'll all go into respective folders under an out folder. Then you can do this to the samsung framework, then diff them with winmerge or something like that.

When you find an error in logcat, search for a term related to it within Notepad++'s search in files feature. Generally, this will point you into the direction of a missing class. Then you can copy the class over into the associated TF framework file by right clicking on the highlighted missing class within Winmerge. However, sometimes it isn't so easy because Samsung and Asus have heavily modified the HC framework. Asus to add the dock functionality, samsung for the touchwiz stuff.

Tools: Decompile Framework
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rothnic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gtj94
Old
Thanks Meter 525
Good to see this happening! quick question, there isn't any resizing needing to done yea? Just smali edits?

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App
Desire HD >> JellyTime (JB 4.1.1)
Samsung Galaxy S II >> CM9 Nightly (ICS 4.0.4)
HTC Sensation >> ParanoidAndroid (JB 4.1.1)
Asus Transformer >> Team EOS (JB 4.1.1)

Hit thanks if I've helped you in any way

rothnic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtj94 View Post
Good to see this happening! quick question, there isn't any resizing needing to done yea? Just smali edits?

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App
I guess I'm unsure what you mean by resizing.

Currently it is at a point where more merging needs to happen(i think) to get the mini apps working. The systemui.apk has a major dependency on the mini apps working, so it crashes without them working.

The main problem I have is there is a FC by systemui, pointing to the mini apps as the problem. However, there is no way to find out why the mini apps aren't running. So, I don't know if more framework porting needs to happen, or what.

Roach2010
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2261

DONATE TO ME
Hey rothnic. Great work so far. I don't envy you task of trying to merge the frameworks but you have my full support. I'm no smali expert by any means but I'll help out if I can.

I suggest keeping a healthy supply of beer at hand as smali editing drives me to drink

stitoo
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Ported going to interface with applications such keyboard? I do not like asus keyboard

rothnic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach2010 View Post
Hey rothnic. Great work so far. I don't envy you task of trying to merge the frameworks but you have my full support. I'm no smali expert by any means but I'll help out if I can.

I suggest keeping a healthy supply of beer at hand as smali editing drives me to drink
Yeah, not the most fun stuff in the world. Was going to get around to touching base with you if I ever get it working. I'll package it up as a delta so it's not a full on release to manage. If there is a way to get it working, I hope to document the changes I made so it could be applied to TF updates as they come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitoo View Post
Ported going to interface with applications such keyboard? I do not like asus keyboard
If it works, I'll probably alter Prime 1.6 as little as possible. Have you tried Thumb Keyboard from the market? Worth the cost.

dwillMUFC
Old
Thanks Meter 39

DONATE TO ME
Just comparing smali files and in "smali\com\android\systemui\statusbar\tablet" the TableyStatusBar$H file in the Prime UX, when compared to the A500 UX rom exact file. There are many differences between the two. Now Myself have only done minimal smali editing. However I was just wondering if this has already been looked at and/or whether they theoretically should be the same?

Thanks

Dan

rothnic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwillMUFC View Post
Just comparing smali files and in "smali\com\android\systemui\statusbar\tablet" the TableyStatusBar$H file in the Prime UX, when compared to the A500 UX rom exact file. There are many differences between the two. Now Myself have only done minimal smali editing. However I was just wondering if this has already been looked at and/or whether they theoretically should be the same?

Thanks

Dan
I started using the A500 UX version of systemui.apk. I had the errors that we still have now. But, I thought maybe the version that Fguy used for the Acer might not work well with this specific implementation of honeycomb. So I tried a newer version of the samsung UX files, but it had no impact.

So that is why you would find differences between the one in PrimeUX versus Fguy's ROM. I tried talking to him about it, but I think the language barrier is too great to really communicate well enough.

I'm not sure if he added anything to the SystemUI.apk or not, but my intuition was that the changes were mainly to the framework files. That is a consideration to make, though.

nicknowsky
Old
Thanks Meter 23
this is great, I was wondering if and when we were gonna see this ported. Its great to see the DEV'n really starting to take off!!
AT&T 8125...AT&T 8525...LG Incite...AT&T Tilt....myTouch 3G&G1....Nexus One

iPad 16Gb....Camangi Webstation....iPad 2....Asus Transformer....HTC HD2 (2nd)....Nexus S....New iPad....Galaxy Nexus GSM....Nexus 7....Nexus 4....iPad Air(its amazing) (2nd)

Dundledorf Calrissian

br13an
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Why are you guys concetrating on the keyboard so much for this port, it just gives extra unneeded problems with it, maybe it's a better thing to leave the keyboard as it is for now, i guess that can take alot of headaches away,

-HTC Desire : Leedroid 3.3.3 (2.3.x)(DIED)
-ASUS Transformer TF101: Revolver ROM (3.2.x)
-Samsung Galaxy S 2 : GingerMOD 0.3 (SOLD) (2.3.x)
-Galaxy Nexus: CM10.2 Nightly's (4.4.4)
-HTC One (M8): InsertCoin 3.0.8 (4.4.2)