Photon working with LapDock!

Search This thread

cdthomas9

Jun 10, 2008
** UPDATED WITH PICS **

I just got a LapDock from an AT&T store thinking I can mess with it to make it work with my Photon. After disassembling the docking connector, I found that there are 2 separate connectors for the ports, which is awesome. This allowed me to manipulate them into position to fit my MoPho. Plugged it up, and it fired right up like the HD dock for the TV. I'm writing this post from it now, it's pretty cool! I plan on putting up some pics in a bit showing the connections. I'll delve into the device more fully later, but this accessory will work with the Photon fully! No limitations (at least, not in my limited testing)

Attachments

• IMG_5795.jpg
    IMG_5795.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 4,626
Last edited:

flipper12

Feb 4, 2010
Orange County, CA
Awesome!

I just ordered my Photon today and was hoping that by the time it arrived, someone would have pulled a MacGyver and figured out how to rig the Atrix dock.

You sir, are this month's official winner MacGyver award. :D

Looking forward to seeing the pics too.

cdthomas9

Jun 10, 2008
pop open the connector, its just clicked together at this point. unscrew the metal clip holding the individual connectors to the chassis. the individual connectors can now be manipulated into position for the Photon.

Attachments

• IMG_5791.jpg
    IMG_5791.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 8,392
  • IMG_5790.jpg
    IMG_5790.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 7,837
  • IMG_5786.jpg
    IMG_5786.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 9,154
Last edited:

cdthomas9

Jun 10, 2008
the connectors can be routed under and behind the LapDock so that the Photon lays on the table. I want to figure out a way to rearrange the connectors to hold the Photon like it should, in the dock normally. Webtop fires up and operates as it does on the HD Station.

Attachments

• IMG_5789.jpg
    IMG_5789.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 6,061
  • IMG_5787.jpg
    IMG_5787.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 7,871

cdthomas9

Jun 10, 2008
Further disassembly. Flip the LapDock over, remove the screw in the middle near the back of the unit. remove the 2 rubber feet at the back of the unit and remove the 2 screws revealed.flip back over. pry (carefully) the back top cover off the unit, working along the very back of the unit. This should pop the cover off. There is a thin wire running to the charge indicator along the front of the top cover, so work carefully. once off, the circuitry can be examined. the connector that leads to the dock is along the left edge of the board. one PCB connector feeds both dock connectors. This connector is like laptop LCD connectors, and easily pops up and off the board

Attachments

• IMG_5800.jpg
    IMG_5800.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,205
  • IMG_5798.jpg
    IMG_5798.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 3,017
  • IMG_5799.jpg
    IMG_5799.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 2,856

cdthomas9

Jun 10, 2008
Nicely done...and glad to give you your FIRST Thanks! I might hafta find me a LapDock on the cheap!

LOL thanks! kinda funny, been lurking here for years, ran into a problem posting this writeup since i was a 'new' member with only 2 previous posts. had to wait 5 minutes between updates.

I saw LapDocks on AT&T's site for only $175 for refurbished units, not too bad considering I paid 300 to get a unit to hack apart....

Reactions: cyiam40

cdthomas9

Jun 10, 2008
After removing the dock portion from the rest of the unit, I removed the connectors and took an Xacto knife to the openings for the individual connectors. I removed the shaped openings for the micro hdmi and micro usb, leaving plain rectangular openings. I then fitted the connectors back in, rotating them to match the orientation on the Photon. Luckily, the Atrix has the same spacing between the ports, just a mirror layout and shifted down the edge of the phone. with longer wires, this could be made to be a perfect fit for the Photon, but Moto apparenly knows best :(

anyway, after getting the connectors set properly, I then pieced it all back together. the new layout strains the wires just a bit, so that everything else is not quite as smooth as it was starting out. It's fine, and works properly, but theres that little bit thats just noticeable. the MoPho hangs off the edge of the dock, and has to be pressed tightly to ensure a good connection, but works great. There is a small piece that pops off of the dock portion, i think its removed if you're using a case with the Atrix, Make sure this piece stays off, I dont think the connection will be very good otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_5801.jpg
    IMG_5801.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2,343
  • IMG_5802.jpg
    IMG_5802.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2,616
  • IMG_5804.jpg
    IMG_5804.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,344
  • IMG_5805.jpg
    IMG_5805.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 2,520

Bandage

Nov 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
After removing the dock portion from the rest of the unit, I removed the connectors and took an Xacto knife to the openings for the individual connectors. I removed the shaped openings for the micro hdmi and micro usb, leaving plain rectangular openings. I then fitted the connectors back in, rotating them to match the orientation on the Photon. Luckily, the Atrix has the same spacing between the ports, just a mirror layout and shifted down the edge of the phone. with longer wires, this could be made to be a perfect fit for the Photon, but Moto apparenly knows best :(

anyway, after getting the connectors set properly, I then pieced it all back together. the new layout strains the wires just a bit, so that everything else is not quite as smooth as it was starting out. It's fine, and works properly, but theres that little bit thats just noticeable. the MoPho hangs off the edge of the dock, and has to be pressed tightly to ensure a good connection, but works great. There is a small piece that pops off of the dock portion, i think its removed if you're using a case with the Atrix, Make sure this piece stays off, I dont think the connection will be very good otherwise.

Hey CD...what about flipping the connectors around in their sockets so the Photon would sit flush, but facing away from the LapDock?

cdthomas9

Jun 10, 2008
Webtop runs great, i like the environment as a whole, but there isnt much to do natively. Email apps and maneuvering around the phone UI is a little irritating. You can just make the Mobile View full screen, but some of the interface doesnt scale well. I'd like to see native webtop apps, like firefox is, but I'm not sure how that works.

Attachments

• IMG_5803.jpg
    IMG_5803.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,250
  • IMG_5806.jpg
    IMG_5806.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,604

ScandaLeX

Feb 27, 2007
PhiLLy
the connectors can be routed under and behind the LapDock so that the Photon lays on the table. I want to figure out a way to rearrange the connectors to hold the Photon like it should, in the dock normally. Webtop fires up and operates as it does on the HD Station.

This thread excited me!!! Have you found a way to make it sit inside yet?

cdthomas9

Jun 10, 2008
Hey CD...what about flipping the connectors around in their sockets so the Photon would sit flush, but facing away from the LapDock?

I thought of that, but the micro hdmi connector doesn't have enough give or length to do it. I also thought of breaking out the soldering iron, kynar wire and HST but I think that theres a lot of wire in those bundles...

cdthomas9

Jun 10, 2008
I would just dremel a nice little hole through the plastic immediately above the base connector and run the wires up the back of the screen, then build a cradle onto the back of the monitor for the phone. I need to save up and buy one and get to work.

LOL, I was thinking of doing the same thing. Just mount the phone to the back of the screen somehow, but the wires are literally no more than 2" long. I think Bandage was looking into micro usb and hdmi extension cables though....

Bandage

Nov 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
LOL, I was thinking of doing the same thing. Just mount the phone to the back of the screen somehow, but the wires are literally no more than 2" long. I think Bandage was looking into micro usb and hdmi extension cables though....

Yeah...no luck finding an effin Micro HDMI extension cable tho. Anyone else find someone who makes / distributes them?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** UPDATED WITH PICS **

I just got a LapDock from an AT&T store thinking I can mess with it to make it work with my Photon. After disassembling the docking connector, I found that there are 2 separate connectors for the ports, which is awesome. This allowed me to manipulate them into position to fit my MoPho. Plugged it up, and it fired right up like the HD dock for the TV. I'm writing this post from it now, it's pretty cool! I plan on putting up some pics in a bit showing the connections. I'll delve into the device more fully later, but this accessory will work with the Photon fully! No limitations (at least, not in my limited testing)
    pop open the connector, its just clicked together at this point. unscrew the metal clip holding the individual connectors to the chassis. the individual connectors can now be manipulated into position for the Photon.
    Close up of the Photon HD Dock vs the LapDock. You can see the difference in orientation
    The Dock connector needs to be flipped out, then can be opened by removing a screw on each side under a small flat cover.