Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,702 Members 44,654 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][REWRITE][2.1+] Fine Volume ControlV2, 100 different volume levels

Tip us?

richardop
Old
(Last edited by richardop; 3rd January 2012 at 09:18 PM.) Reason: v1.3
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Arrow [APP][REWRITE][2.1+] Fine Volume ControlV2, 100 different volume levels

Major rewrite - no longer uses the earpiece speaker
  • With the new app, you get 100 different volume levels from silent to full volume.
  • Works on Media/Alarm/Ringer & Notification/System (in-call excluded)
  • Still has the automatic overlay that appears when changing volume (ROM dependent) but also has a regular volume control app
  • More customisation
  • For those people using ROMs that don't support the automatic popup, there is a secondary launcher icon that shows the media volume dial for a few seconds.

48 Hour Trial: https://market.android.com/details?i...h.finevolumev2

Unlocker: https://market.android.com/details?i...olume.unlocker

Uninstall (or at least disable) the old app before using the new one

The old version of the app is now deprecated, but the unlocker will work with the old and new version. (you get both versions of the app if you buy the unlocker)

Deprecated
Fine Volume Control

I've just released a new app that enhances the standard media volume dialog by adding 2 functions:
  • A fancy volume dial (complete with glow) to use instead of repeatedly pressing the volume buttons
  • A finer volume setting that effectively lets you go below 1 bar of volume by redirecting sound to the earpiece speaker when you drop below a threshold marked on the slider.

Free version: https://market.android.com/details?i...ech.finevolume

Full version: https://market.android.com/details?i...olume.unlocker includes more colours, dialog styles, adjustable dial sensitivity, size, toggle button pulse and removal of ads.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to richardop For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jzuijlek
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Looks nice, but force closes on MIUI, but maybe that's to be expected.

Reeonimus
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Great Idea. I just tried the free version and am having a couple problems. There is no visual indication when turning the "dial". Some animation with min and max gauges would be nice.

My volume bar now doesn't increase or decrease when changing volume. No matter what the volume bar is always 3/4 full. I can see the yellow indicator line but it means nothing when the bar doesn't move.
Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII
ROM: Vanilla RootBox

Device: Nexus 7

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later" - Mitch Hedberg

asp2010
Old
Thanks Meter 247
This is a great idea. I definitely like being able to control the volume without pressing the hardware buttons, because mine are a bit worn down.

Unfortunately, your app doesn't work on my HTC Desire (using Gingerbread Sense). When I press either volume button, the normal Volume pop-up appears. When you update the app, I will try it again

Good luck and keep up the great work!

richardop
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzuijlek View Post
Looks nice, but force closes on MIUI, but maybe that's to be expected.
What version of android is MIUI? I've had a report of FC on a 3.2 device and it needs fixing for that. Unless MIUI has a different volume dialog layout, it should work. Can you post here or submit a stacktrace? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeonimus View Post
Great Idea. I just tried the free version and am having a couple problems. There is no visual indication when turning the "dial". Some animation with min and max gauges would be nice.

My volume bar now doesn't increase or decrease when changing volume. No matter what the volume bar is always 3/4 full. I can see the yellow indicator line but it means nothing when the bar doesn't move.
There's a brushed texture to the dial that turns with it, maybe it's too faint. min/max could be added, good suggestion. What device/rom/version of android do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp2010 View Post
This is a great idea. I definitely like being able to control the volume without pressing the hardware buttons, because mine are a bit worn down.

Unfortunately, your app doesn't work on my HTC Desire (using Gingerbread Sense). When I press either volume button, the normal Volume pop-up appears. When you update the app, I will try it again

Good luck and keep up the great work!
Are you sure it's in media volume context? Currently it only applies to media. Also, is that 2.2?

Cheers

Reeonimus
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardop View Post
There's a brushed texture to the dial that turns with it, maybe it's too faint. min/max could be added, good suggestion. What device/rom/version of android do you have?

Cheers
Hmm yeah it doesn't appear to move to me. I'm using an HTC Evo 3D 2.3.4 stock ROM rooted.

Again though, great idea for more fine control, I can't believe android doesn't have such a feature. Work the few kinks out and you have my support friend!
Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Device: Nexus 7

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later" - Mitch Hedberg

daveid
Old
Thanks Meter 298
Acer A500, Android 3.1, FC. Report sent.

richardop
Old
(Last edited by richardop; 19th August 2011 at 01:42 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeonimus View Post
Hmm yeah it doesn't appear to move to me. I'm using an HTC Evo 3D 2.3.4 stock ROM rooted.

Again though, great idea for more fine control, I can't believe android doesn't have such a feature. Work the few kinks out and you have my support friend!
Does the volume level change and then redirect to the earpiece at all, so it's just that the UI is stuck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveid View Post
Acer A500, Android 3.1, FC. Report sent.
I've coded a fix for that crash, thanks! The dialog won't match the honeycomb theme (for now at least).
Another thing, the finer volume function won't work on a device if it's lacking an earpiece speaker. You'll still be able to use the dial to control media volume, though.

I'll release an update soon.

richardop
Old
(Last edited by richardop; 14th November 2011 at 11:46 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Just released an update.

V1.1
Fixed F/C on Honeycomb and some non-stock ROMs.
Tidied up Preference Screen.

asp2010
Old
Thanks Meter 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardop View Post
Are you sure it's in media volume context? Currently it only applies to media. Also, is that 2.2?
Yes, it was the media volume I tried to change. I'm using Gingerbread 2.3.3. I will try the update and some other ROM versions when I get home in a couple of days

Sent using the XDA app

Tags
dial, fine, volume