I've got some strange electrostatic noise from the back side of my mini pro (when the screen is on and even off - just listen to it longer). And it turned out that the problem is common for new mini pro (some people just doesn't mention it). Looks like it is hardware one, so it could harm overall device work in the future (no one know when). So this thread was started to collect all related info: reasons, workarounds, solutions, official comments etc. If you're sk17 owner, please, take part in this thread (check instructions below).
1. Update the software of your device via SEUS or PC Companion
2. Visit repair centre if the problem remains
3. Having troubles with the repairment? Contact Johan-SEAnswers on official SE forum
Video (sorry for Russian comments ):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-BKIxDxOdc (with back cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71UresimhaQ (without back cover)
Another sample (not mine) with SE comment:
- 27.oct.2.3.4 update launched. They removed the noise from videos. But it's just a workaround. You can still hear it by putting the backside of your sk17 to your ear with the screen turned on.
- 05.oct.Cricket Team rebranded to Cicada Team. More info...; firmware update time shifted to late October - early November.
12.sep.: SE promises to solve the problem via software update (check this post for details). The same day me and BlackArty got similar emails from Russian SE Customer Support, which promised to launch that update in mid-October.
- SE really approved the problem? Check Linkinsoldier post for details.
- Thanks to sxxorp we have massive update. Check the official thread.
==> http://communities-origin.sonyericss...art=0&tstart=0 <==
You can use the following template (bold text should be replaced by the data of your sk17):
My mini pro has electrostatic noise when the device is active.
Device model: sk17i (your country)
Prod. week: 11W28
What devices have this problem?
At the moment both SK17i and SK17a are reported to have this issue. Production weeks mentioned: 11W28, 11W29, 11W30, 11W31, 11W32, 11W33, 11W34, 11W35, 11W36, 11W37, 11W38.
How to check the device?
- Listen to samples to know what kind of noise we're speaking about.
- Turn the screen on, place the backside of your mini pro near your ear and here it is (the best part of the backside to 'enjoy' that sound is upper left corner, right under the headphones jack). Though sometimes you can hear it even when you're calling someone if the environment is quite enough. And it's still here when the screen is off (not continuous if there's no active apps; several short clicks with silent intervals). Actually, the noise is here when the device is active (even with the screen off). For example, connect headphones, start the music player, lock the screen and check the noise.
- Please, share the results of your tests in comments below and take part in SE community discussion mentioned above. This could help us to know more about this problem and get it faster to solve the issue. If you do not have the noise, please, make a short video in silent environment, upload it to youtube or somewhere else and share the link with us!
- Contact SE support in your country with the problem description via email, twitter, facebook etc. If you'll get some interesting info from them, please, share it with us.
Please, first of all contribute to the related thread in official SE community (look at the BIG red text above).
- Do your device has that noise or not? If not, proove it by video sample.
- Info about your device: SK17i or SK17a, country, SI and production week (a string like "11W28", which means 28th week of 2011; you may use the template under the BIG red text). All could be found at the sticker under the battery.
- (optional)Some extra info that could be useful for other sk17 owners: probable reasons, workarounds / solutions, official SE answers, comments etc.
- Here's the related discussion on official SE Community:
- We've got more info. SE promises to solve the problem via software update (check this post for details). The same day me and BlackArty got similar emails from Russian SE Customer Support, which promised to launch that update in mid-October.
- I sent an email to Russian SE Customer Support. They told me to go to service. Without any comments. It was done on August, 20.
UPD The phone got back on August, 25 with software reinstalled and noise persisted. Though they told me that 'there's no described problem'.
sxxorp has got a little bit more info from them. Check his posts: #31 and #32.
- Somewhat like the first official approval of the problem: SE left the comment under one of the 'noisy videos':
Hi Everyone, we are investigating this noise that some people are hearing. Please be sure to check out our forum at our website for any more news. - Jeff
No ideas for now.
Workarounds / solutions
- Removing the back cover reduces the noise.
- Looks like plugging USB-cable in (doesn't matter if it's plugged into laptop or charger) removes the noise. But still some quite clicks (not so annoying though).
- (thanks to BlackArty)The noise disappears when the processor is loaded heavily. For example, run the StabilityTest (could be downloaded from Market for free) and check your device. You'll hear only 'metronome clicks'.
Check post #3 and #10 by sxxorp to find out what else we've tried to do.
If you know some related threads on any forums, post link to them in the comments. I'll add them here. Just don't forget to mention its language.
Official SE community (Eng): http://talk.sonyericsson.com/thread/22121?tstart=0
Androidforums (Eng): http://androidforums.com/sony-ericss...und-noise.html
Sony-Ericsson.ru (Ru): http://www.sony-ericsson.ru/forums2/...howtopic=64895
4pda.ru (Ru): http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=269616
Thanks in advance for your contribution!
the Cicada Team =) (former Cricket Team)
P.S. Cicada Team & Cricket Team names (c) by sxxorp.
P.P.S. My mini pro is SK17i, 11W28, SI 1249-4753.