Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,461 Members 47,549 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Do you have that noise?
yes 99 61.88%
no 61 38.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

[MINI PRO][SK17][CICADA] Continuous electrostatic noise when the device is active

Tip us?

sur1k
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_gangte View Post
And I'd like to know if the electrostatic noise is annoyingly loud or not.
I'd also wanna know if SE is going to manufacture new handsets without the noise.
To answer the first question you need to get a mini pro and check it (follow the instructions in the 1st post). Some people say that it doesn't bother them. For me it's annoying. But you need to make your own conclusion.
The second question could answered only by SE officials. Stick to the official thread mentioned in the 1st post. They promised to inform us about the problem investigation.
The Following User Says Thank You to sur1k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Super Chimp
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Think I am going to take mine back to see what can be done with it.

sxxorp
Old
(Last edited by sxxorp; 1st September 2011 at 07:43 PM.) Reason: update
Thanks Meter 32
Hi all,
@Super-chimp: you take it to the service center, replace it, switch to sth else, or what?
I hope we don't get into the phase what dryhte mentioned with the nail varnish (though I wait for his findings on that topic, too).

I collected at our forum where I'm active on this topic:
1. in the official SE-forums started a thread with the most Views considering this topic
2. XDA: I'am the 2nd most active in the forum addressing the problem
3. I contacted SE support of US, exchanged several e-mails
4. I indicated this week by phone and e-mail the issue to the Hungarian SE-Support.
5. I try to find out the reason why the SK17i are quarantined by one vendor (confirmed by many British consumers), you still can not get it.
6. I typed here (I mean there), and to the Hungarian SE-blog
7. I'm one of the authors to a blog-post detailing all the problem we face with SK17i
(and I even don't mention the t-seria.hu, GSMArena forums, and Facebook)

huh, a little UPDATE- I just wanted to let you know I'm with you, but nothing is happening except from my thread receiving high view-numbers (I know you're part of it - keep on), WHEN I realized that got a less ordinary message! (I don't have time - Google translate from Hungarian, sorry):
"Sony Ericsson (official avatar - no standard members can have this)
(rookie)
Dear sxxorp,
Read user reviews and want to find out exactly that problem. We tried to reproduce the error to us the Xperia mini pro appliances, but we had no this problem.
We would like to invite you to drop into the machine for repair, where priority will handle the matter, but please send it to us and the service panel Registration number.
Thank you,
Sony Ericsson
Official Sony Ericsson's presence in the forums Mobilarena"
I will reproduce it for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to sxxorp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

galimpic
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Just to confirm that I checked 2 units (black miini pro,week 31), the first had problem with screen so I exchanged it with the second one, but BOTH had the static noise problem. The one I am using right now is making noise all the time during work and during audio or video recording, except when USB is connected. It is so loud in recordings even when the environment is not quiet, that it definetely must be recognised as a malfunction, not 'normal', 'usual' etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to galimpic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Cherek
Old
(Last edited by Cherek; 1st September 2011 at 09:29 PM.) Reason: [Edit] somehow I started to reply on an old post[Edit]
Thanks Meter 2
I, myself, am getting a refund and will wait how SE responds before I get anothere Mini Pro. Eventhough I was so looking forward to getting this phone.
If any news develops I'll let it be known. Especially in the special SE topic
http://talk.sonyericsson.com/thread/22121?tstart=0
In Hoc Signo Vinces

sur1k
Old
(Last edited by sur1k; 1st September 2011 at 09:41 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxxorp View Post
I will reproduce it for them.
It sounds threateningly. We'll be waiting for the results. I added link to your post to the 'News' section.

By the way, I tried to communicate with Russian SE support via email twice. No answers for now.

@galimpic ,
could you upload a video with USB connected? Just to avoid misunderstanding: you need to connect mini pro to charger or laptop. Otherwise USB cable doesn't change anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to sur1k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sxxorp
Old
(Last edited by sxxorp; 1st September 2011 at 09:56 PM.) Reason: upd
Thanks Meter 32
It's just hard, certain, not threatening. If their post can suggest that
1. this problem is difficult to encounter (while I alone met with 7 different devices ALL having the issue) and
2. like they haven't heard about it (at least Jeff, and US SE told that they are aware of it, just investigating keeps .... long) I can allow myself this certainty

I hope they checked devices from a new, secretly revised line that's why they seem like innocent child meeting sth new
UPD: I softened it little bit on the official forum - XDA is more free, it stays here - as threat is not my intention, pls check
Thanks for your sensitive attitude!

sur1k
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Oh, by the way, maybe the following info could be useful for SE (if they are really interested in solving this issue).
Compass and accelerometer acts a little bit strangely. Go to service menu (*#*#7378423#*#* or *#*#SERVICE#*#* from the Dialer) - Service Test. Check both Compass and Accelerometer. Even when the phone is not moving (e.g. placed on the table) I see continuously changing values. If you install some Compass app from Market you'll get the pointer jumping around North. I didn't have such problem on x10 mini pro.

sur1k
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
News from official thread (thanks sxxorp):

Quote:
Similar story 2nd Sept. from Facebook, excerpt:
"- hey.. i had to retail store to buy mini pro but he told me that sony ericsson had withdrawn the model due to hardware issues and mainly faulty touchscreen functionality

- Is this true?
- Well i live in ......., India. Had visited stores in Banjara Hills ........ Wanted to buy mini pro but it was out of stock and said that users had touchscreen issues. Also said that new stock is not expected in near future as they are trying to address the issue."
Touchscren issue... - maybe related, just addressed inaccurately?
Posted by sxxorp in the first post of the official thread:
http://talk.sonyericsson.com/thread/22121?tstart=0

Are SE just waiting for all people exchange noisy pro to silent mini?

sxxorp
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Dear Sur1k, the way you do you can quote anything you like During weekend I didn't have the time.

Mini Pro switch to Mini...:
But then make it a clear fact and do it in an accelerated process!!
My device will be examined next week in prioritized process initiated by the official Hungarian SE branch, I hope it'll worth my time, I'll keep you updated with any results!

The Following User Says Thank You to sxxorp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
mini pro, noise, sk17