Battery Issue Solved (so far at least)

OP Xeno62277

19th August 2011, 04:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Greensboro
Thanks Meter: 10

92 posts
More
I've been noticing (especially since a little after the GB update) my battery dying very quickly... sometimes not lasting more than 6 hours of moderate use.

I started reading threads here, there, and anything a google search would bring back. Apparently the battery drain is caused by the system's suspend process going rogue. I installed the full version of System Panel to monitor my usage, and sure enough suspend was taking up a lot more cpu cycles than anything else on my phone.

From reading further there isn't any specific phone setting/app that can fix this bug. Then I read something interesting... someone said that they only see the problem if they plug their phone in (usb or wall charge... doesn't matter), then unplug it without a restart.

Since I sit at a desk all day I frequently plug my phone in (nandroid backups, moving files to/from my sd card, etc.). I decided to do a test. I already have Tasker kill my ringer when my phone is plugged into any usb, so I added an exit task to reboot the phone when I disconnect usb.

I disconnected my phone from usb, and it restarted automatically... exactly what I wanted. Since then I haven't seen suspend do a damn thing. I have turned wifi on/off, killed data sync/turned back on, etc... all the things people have tried to fix the issue. Still nothing over the past couple of hours for suspend.

I will continue to monitor... so far it looks very promising.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Xeno62277 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2011, 05:39 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Look forward to seeing your results!

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App
19th August 2011, 09:38 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

13 posts
Yeah, I'm betting that will work just fine. I've been seeing it go nuts after being plugged in for a while and did mention it in another thread. I was suspicious of suspend but hadn't had enough time to be sure. Now that I know its that well have to see if there is a more elegant fix than restarting every time we unplug. That does work though. Good job point out the exact problem.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App
20th August 2011, 05:00 AM   |  #4  
Flag Sacramento
Thanks Meter: 71

458 posts
More
What are you using to auto reboot when u-plugged??? I can't find that option in system panel or task manager.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
20th August 2011, 04:03 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel187

What are you using to auto reboot when u-plugged??? I can't find that option in system panel or task manager.

Appliation called TASKER. It allows your phone to autoperform routines based oncertain events
20th August 2011, 08:43 PM   |  #6  
Flag Mesa, Az
Thanks Meter: 12

162 posts
More
How did you set up the profile? I've been missing around for a bit and i cant figure it out...

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA Premium App
20th August 2011, 10:58 PM   |  #7  
Flag Sacramento

458 posts
More
I tried the reboot trick and im going on 16 hours at 70% battery. Plus system panel shows cpu under 1% when device is suspended.

21st August 2011, 02:07 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 130

127 posts
More
Thank you for finding this out. I tried this on my DX2 after full charge and its at 62% going on 11 and a half hours with moderate use.
21st August 2011, 04:20 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 59

741 posts
More
Will deff. do from now on, would love to know wtf is up with this.
21st August 2011, 04:41 AM   |  #10  
Flag Sacramento

458 posts
More
Seems like every phone has there bugs. I came from htc incredible and ut wont charge to 100% while on. You have to bump charge it while off to get the lost 10%

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread