Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,213 Members 39,950 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Texting using Wifi

Tip us?

klbjr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Default Texting using Wifi

Does anyone know or can recommend an app the lets you send/receive SMS & MMS with the Thrive over Wifi?

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using XDA Premium App.
The Following User Says Thank You to klbjr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

firemedic624
Old
Thanks Meter 45
I have been using Heywire for sms. It does not do mms but it is excellent for sms. The person you send the message to doesn't need to have Heywire installed.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

thesaber2000
Old
Thanks Meter 2
you can try texttab. What it does is connect thru Bluetooth to your phone, and receives any SMS your phone gets and sends them to your thrive. Which you can reply and send on your thrive once your paired up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thesaber2000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eilisaine
Old
Thanks Meter 0
TexTab worked awesome on mine! I absolutely love that program. Thanks for the head's up on that app. Definitely worth paying for it...

steven7590
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I have google voice and I have loved being able to text from any browser, including the thrive's browser. Especially if you're on sprint for your mobile servce, I would strongly recommend setting up google voice.

Sent from my Epic 4G SON!!!!!!

High_Life
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven7590 View Post
I have google voice and I have loved being able to text from any browser, including the thrive's browser. Especially if you're on sprint for your mobile servce, I would strongly recommend setting up google voice.

Sent from my Epic 4G SON!!!!!!
Sprints decision to work in collaboration with google voice makes it this way. I have Sprint and love them for this. A friend of mine is having trouble figuring out how to send google voice sms from his Thrive since he is on TMobile tho.

Xavion2004
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I use DeskSMS, I started using it over month ago and the fact it actually syncs with my contacts on my phone rather they have Google Voice or any other service makes it IMO the best app there for texting over wifi without having to jump between phone numbers. Especially for those of us that didnt want to lose our MMS capability by completely syncing with Google Voice.

MeInGatineau
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I tried DeskSMS for a little while and it works ok. I stopped using it because Google Voice Canadian numbers are still not available. Hopefully I will use DeskSMS again once Canadian Google voice numbers are available.

Rogers Wireless use to offer wifi calling and text for consumer however this option is no longer compatible with my current plan with them so I had to improvise.

I`ve also tried textplus which work very well and you can get a Canadian number by
paying a monthly fee.

klbjr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic624 View Post
I have been using Heywire for sms. It does not do mms but it is excellent for sms. The person you send the message to doesn't need to have Heywire installed.

HeyWire just got an update that now allows MMS.

bensalltel
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am using google voice on all my android devices and computers. Most over wi_fi and all sync almost at the same time. Love the thrive.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk