Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,629 Members 41,290 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HDMI Adapter Problems/Flickering Output

Tip us?

peare
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I had the adapter for over a month and never had the flickering problem on my 55" Samsung 3D LED TV. The only problem is the scaling. It doesnt really fit the screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to peare For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CazeW
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Can also report that I'm now having problems with the adapter. Previously I've only used it for short moments at a time so I didn't notice it back then but now that I tried watching a movie, it was pretty terrible.

LSL1337
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm also having the same issues

i just got mine 30 mins ago, pluged it in, and instantly, there was the flickering

and it only scales to 720p

i've got EU 3G model, with custom ROM...

VERY dissapointed

NightFire123
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSL1337 View Post
I'm also having the same issues

i just got mine 30 mins ago, pluged it in, and instantly, there was the flickering

and it only scales to 720p

i've got EU 3G model, with custom ROM...

VERY dissapointed
720p is normal cause it only mirrors the tabs screen. indeed its 1200x 800 not 720p.
Only if you playback e.g. a full hd youtube Video or a Video with the Stock player it scales up to 180p.

CazeW
Old
Thanks Meter 137
I've been working with pershoot on this and he might have a fix for it. My initial testing has been promising but it's too early to say for sure.

CazeW
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazeW View Post
I've been working with pershoot on this and he might have a fix for it. My initial testing has been promising but it's too early to say for sure.
For those of you having the flickering issue, give pershoots kernel (here) a test run. After intensive testing with him, he managed to fix the flickering almost completely for me and my adapter is now useable.

pershoot
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3801
0910 release includes this.

let me know if it makes this beter for all of you that had this incessant flicker issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to pershoot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NightFire123
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I dont think that this is software related, otherwise mine woundnt work with the 7" dock.

CazeW
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFire123 View Post
I dont think that this is software related, otherwise mine woundnt work with the 7" dock.
At least for me, pershoots kernel improved it a lot and I can new use mine. Give it a try.

Also, it could be software related if the 7" dock uses an older MHL chip that has better driver support than the one in the adapter (this is just guessing though).

Hodders
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Me too - just got the HDMI adaptor.

Tried with two cables on two TVs both flicker about every 4 seconds with a slight break in sound. One TV loses sync and the picture disappears for a couple of seconds and then comes back. The other just glitches with a slight loss in sound.

I have tried turning it on from cold unplugging and plugging it back in, battery at 50% battery at 100%.

My guess is that the problem is with the cheap switched mode power supplies that they use for these devices. The electrical noise introduced is not going to help get high frequency signals to a TV.

This would tie in with why battery charge level has an impact - low battery = more noise as the charger pumps out more current.

It is also a real pain that the charger has to be plugged in as it destroys so much of the portability and introduces so many extra cables.

Can we get any more feedback on if the custom rom by pershoot helps reliably ?