Verified, ran August GB RUU and phone re-rooted

21st August 2011, 03:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kalamazoo
Thanks Meter: 263

1,340 posts
More
Okay I verified that if you have s-off you will be able to get root back on your phone if you run the RUU.

As expected the RUU did unroot my phone but it didn't touch s-off. So I downloaded CWM 3.0.0.8 from dougpiston.com and changed it to PB31IMG.zip (this has to be a flashable zip file to work) and it loaded from hboot no problem. I then downloaded the latest superuser app using ROM Manager, version 2.3.6.3 efgh, older versions will not work, and just flashed it through recovery. Superuser does not need to be renamed update.zip you can just leave the name as is and select let me choose zip from sdcard and it installs just fine.

Took a while for me to get superuser running again as I had an older version and I could only find the newest version in ROM Manager.

****YOU MUST HAVE S-OFF FOR THIS TO WORK*********************
Last edited by kzoodroid; 21st August 2011 at 03:27 AM. Reason: addded warning
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kzoodroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2011, 02:44 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6

42 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoodroid

Okay I verified that if you have s-off you will be able to get root back on your phone if you run the RUU.

As expected the RUU did unroot my phone but it didn't touch s-off. So I downloaded CWM 3.0.0.8 from dougpiston.com and changed it to PB31IMG.zip (this has to be a flashable zip file to work) and it loaded from hboot no problem. I then downloaded the latest superuser app using ROM Manager, version 2.3.6.3 efgh, older versions will not work, and just flashed it through recovery. Superuser does not need to be renamed update.zip you can just leave the name as is and select let me choose zip from sdcard and it installs just fine.

Took a while for me to get superuser running again as I had an older version and I could only find the newest version in ROM Manager.

****YOU MUST HAVE S-OFF FOR THIS TO WORK*********************

I can't seem to find a link to to superuser inside ROM Manager. Can you tell me where to locate it?

thanks,
John
21st August 2011, 04:01 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kalamazoo

1,340 posts
More
under download rom > extras
The Following User Says Thank You to kzoodroid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2011, 05:28 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 7

68 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

under download rom > extras

You can also get it from here
The Following User Says Thank You to ohnuhuh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd August 2011, 12:18 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 6

42 posts
Thanks to you both. I didn't even click on the Download ROM because it's premium and I'm still getting my feet wet with the whole root thing. I'm off to try the GB RUU w/radio and then re-root.
22nd August 2011, 08:16 PM   |  #6  
Flag Orange County
Thanks Meter: 3

67 posts
More
What if you have s-on?
22nd August 2011, 08:28 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kalamazoo

1,340 posts
More
You can only re-root if you have s-off. S-on blocks you from replacing the stock recovery with a custom recovery and blocks the installation of superuser into the system folder.

Eventually the Unrevoked team will come up with a new way to root phones but this most likely won't happen till the OTA actually starts to drop and people report how they lost root. And then who knows how long it will take them to do it. Could be a few days to a few months.
22nd August 2011, 08:37 PM   |  #8  
Flag Orange County

67 posts
More
Quote:

You can only re-root if you have s-off. S-on blocks you from replacing the stock recovery with a custom recovery and blocks the installation of superuser into the system folder.

Eventually the Unrevoked team will come up with a new way to root phones but this most likely won't happen till the OTA actually starts to drop and people report how they lost root. And then who knows how long it will take them to do it. Could be a few days to a few months.

Jeez, can't believe I screwed myself like that. I'm a regular root/flasher, and no idea how to get my fix now..
22nd August 2011, 08:54 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kalamazoo

1,340 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsoulboy

Jeez, can't believe I screwed myself like that. I'm a regular root/flasher, and no idea how to get my fix now..

I ran the RUU with all expectations of not being able to re-root my phone just so I could test if the OTA would change the security settings on my phone. I also still wasn't sure if I could even get root back if it was still s-off so I was willing to experiment with knowing full well what could happen. From past experience with the Eris and losing root for about 3 months you have to flash these leaks with all expectations that it will break your phone and not sweat it too much if it does as eventually someone will find a fix.
22nd August 2011, 11:45 PM   |  #10  
Flag Orange County

67 posts
More
Quote:

I ran the RUU with all expectations of not being able to re-root my phone just so I could test if the OTA would change the security settings on my phone. I also still wasn't sure if I could even get root back if it was still s-off so I was willing to experiment with knowing full well what could happen. From past experience with the Eris and losing root for about 3 months you have to flash these leaks with all expectations that it will break your phone and not sweat it too much if it does as eventually someone will find a fix.

You're absolutely right. I have no doubt in my mind someone will come up with a way to root 2.3 on the INC

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread