OP MindSplit

21st August 2011, 03:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Another Planet
Thanks Meter: 346

427 posts
Donate to Me
More
I recently rooted my phone and flashed the TWRP recovery for it as it was recommended on IRC. One of my favorite apps when I had my rooted 4G was Rom Manager. It allowed me to easily backup and flash roms whenever I pleased.

Is there something similar to that for TWRP? Rom Manager requires having Clockwork Mod recovery to use. Also what are the advantages / disadvantages if any to either recovery?

Sent from my Evo 3D using XDA Premium App
21st August 2011, 04:28 PM   |  #2  
Flag Springfield, OH
Thanks Meter: 838

2,797 posts
More
I like doing everything manually from recovery myself. The advantages of TWRP of CWM is the ease of access of certain options in the menus. I love having the wipe cache and dalvik cache as an option in the install zip menu. You can also change the theme easily. I like the backup options in the Nandroid menu and the fact that it backs up your wimax partition. There are many advantages in TWRP over CWM imo. It is designed for the Evo 3D natively and CWM is a port, so it's options are not designed for the Evo 3D. TWRP is just laid out better and you don't have to scroll through the work no 8 times just to wipe cache. Rom Manager is nice, but even when I did use CWM on my NS4G, I never, ever used the app because I just feel safer doing things manually.

All this is a matter of opinion, so it ultimately is up to you. Maybe the ultimate and best reason to shoose TWRP over CWM is because when you go into the Wipe Menu there is a roll of toilet paper in the background.
The Following User Says Thank You to housry23 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2011, 05:30 PM   |  #3  
Flag Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Meter: 355

4,441 posts
There working on something similar to rom manager
21st August 2011, 06:27 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Another Planet

427 posts
Donate to Me
More
Instead of making a new thread ill go ahead and ask here. I'm currently doing a Titanium Backup of my apps / data. I'm also going to do a nandroid backup using TWRP since I've decided to dive into a rom. Are there any other recommended steps I should take before I flash? I hear talk of kernals but know nothing about them.

*Edit

To be more de specific this is the rom I plan on using.
[ROM][8-21-11][2.3.4] gbsense-e3d-deck [0.5]

I read in his thread there was only 2 kernals for 2.3.4, stock and another custom that's floating around.

Sent from my Evo 3D using XDA Premium App
Last edited by MindSplit; 21st August 2011 at 06:32 PM.
21st August 2011, 07:05 PM   |  #5  
Flag Springfield, OH

2,797 posts
More
If you are going to a 2.3.4 Rom I would stick with the stock kernel that comes with the Rom for now. Until HTC releases the source for the 2.3.4 kernel we won't have any custom kernels to flash. I would suggest searching here and on Google what is a Linux kernel and what benefits a custom kernel can give you in Android.

Also, if you flash an incompatible kernel it will at least break things like wifi, sms, mms and other functions of the phone and at most completely make your phone unbootable and you will have to nandroid restore.
The Following User Says Thank You to housry23 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2011, 07:21 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Another Planet

427 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by housry23

If you are going to a 2.3.4 Rom I would stick with the stock kernel that comes with the Rom for now. Until HTC releases the source for the 2.3.4 kernel we won't have any custom kernels to flash. I would suggest searching here and on Google what is a Linux kernel and what benefits a custom kernel can give you in Android.

Also, if you flash an incompatible kernel it will at least break things like wifi, sms, mms and other functions of the phone and at most completely make your phone unbootable and you will have to nandroid restore.

So in other words i can just flash this Rom and i'm good to go.
21st August 2011, 07:59 PM   |  #7  
Flag Springfield, OH

2,797 posts
More
Yep. The Rom's always include a kernel. If you want a custom kernel, that is a separate flash. Some Rom's include a custom kernel and some include stock kernels. I will say that I am using a Rom based off the HTC 2.3.4 update and has the stock kernel and it is actually very smooth and runs fast. I really am not sure overclocking is necessary on this phone, especially after all of the Sprint and HTC bloat are taken out. Though I can understand why people want and do overclock, but seriously benchmarks don't mean shiz to me. How the phone runs in real time use and how the battery performs are my greatest concerns.
Last edited by housry23; 21st August 2011 at 08:02 PM.
25th August 2011, 03:28 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 12

175 posts
I had the same question as the OP. It looks like i won't be using rom manager. Can you point me to a step-by-step on rom flashing using TWRP? Thanks. All google searches seem to return flashing "how to's" using CWM Rec.
25th August 2011, 05:03 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

45 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meccadon123

I had the same question as the OP. It looks like i won't be using rom manager. Can you point me to a step-by-step on rom flashing using TWRP? Thanks. All google searches seem to return flashing "how to's" using CWM Rec.

curious about this too, i've searched here and googled with no luck. everything i find only explains step by step with rom manager/clockwork

i'm assuming you just enter recovery, select install zip -> choose zip to flash -> select your custom rom.zip from the list and then let it do it's thing.

just want to be sure so hopefully someone can confirm or post proper steps.
25th August 2011, 07:50 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 2

45 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meccadon123

Can you point me to a step-by-step on rom flashing using TWRP? Thanks. All google searches seem to return flashing "how to's" using CWM Rec.

finally found someone who would actually respond. not step by step per say, but i you read this post you should get the idea

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=4402

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread