View Poll Results: Did this method work for you?
Yes 52 67.53%
No 25 32.47%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

[GUIDE] Get Stock Recovery/Install OTA Updates without losing data.

21st August 2011, 07:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 143

262 posts
More
Installing OTA updates while having Custom Recovery (ex. ClockWork mod) is not possible. You need Stock Recovery to install the OTA update.
I'll be showing you how to install Stock Recovery, and how to get back to ClockWork mod, without the need of flashing a total new stock ROM (RUU).

Please read this very well before starting:
Quote:

* I'm not responsible about anything that may happen to your device, please don't follow this guide if you don't know exactly what you're doing.
* This guide is for Windows users only. If you can get the official "recovery.img" or "recovery_signed.img" from somewhere else, then you can follow the guide (b) and start from step 5.
* If you're on Custom ROM, this will not work for you. Go flash an RUU instead.
* Please download the OTA update zip file before starting.
* If you deleted any system apps before, doing an OTA update will probably fail with Status 7. In this case, you'll have to restore the deleted apps as they were. If it still doesn't help, you'll have to flash an RUU and then do the OTA update.
* After flashing the OTA, you'll need to run Revolutionary to install custom hboot giving you permissions to flash recoveries and other things through fastboot. (IT IS A MUST IF YOU WANT TO USE "Android Recovery Manager" to flash ClockWorkMod after updating)

To start, you can either follow guide "a" or guide "b". Following guide "a" is easier, safer and faster, I personally recommend it.
Quote:

(a)

Getting stock Recovery using Android Recovery Manager
1. Download Android Recovery Manager.
2. Open the application.
3. Click on Start!.
4. Click on Download a recovery
5. Select your Software Version from the list.
6. The application will tell you what to do next.
7. When the application finishes flashing, press <No> which will reboot into recovery.

Installing OTA Update
8. When you see the (!) hold <Power> button and Press Volume UP. (If this doesn't work Press Volume UP then <Power> button)
9. Go to "Apply update from sdcard" and press <Power> button.
10. Choose your "update.zip" and press <Power> button.

Quote:

(b)

Getting stock Recovery manually
Download your stock RUU from here or here.

If you don't have adb, please follow from step 1 to 3 in Step 4 in this thread.

1. Once you downloaded RUU open it and wait until you get to the "View Readme" page where there is the picture of an HTC device.
2. Go to your temp folder (Generally on Win 7 it's in "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp")
3. Look manually for folders that have lots of characters in that format: "{XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX}".
4. One of them should have another folder in it and 2 files, this folder should be in that same format "{XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX} too.
5. There should be in that folder something named "rom.zip" or "firmware.zip", open it up, and extract the "recovery_signed.img" or "recovery.img" to your ADB folder which is usually in C:\adb
6. Go to C:\adb and make sure that "recovery_signed.img" file is there. If not, repeat step 5.
7. Open command prompt (Press the start Logo on your keyboard + R, then write cmd and press enter) and type "cd C:\adb" {without quotes}
8. Ensure your phone is switched on (regular home screen) and connect it by USB in charging mode (Ensure USB Debugging is On by going on your phone to Settings -> Applications -> Development and Check USB Debugging).
9. Enter the command "adb devices". This is to confirm your phone is connected. (It should come back with list of devices attached and your serial number)
10. Enter this command "adb reboot bootloader" and wait until it reads on your phone fasboot USB.
11. Then enter this command "fastboot flash recovery recovery_signed.img" or "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" depending on the name of the .img you extracted and wait.
12. Enter this command "fastboot reboot-bootloader"

You should have something similar to this.

Installing OTA Update
13. After doing step 12, you'll be on fastboot and have BOOTLOADER highlighted. Press on <Power> Button.
14. Press Volume Down, and highlight RECOVERY, then click <Power> button.
15. When you see the (!) hold <Power> button and Press Volume UP. (If this doesn't work Press Volume UP then <Power> button)
16. Go to "Apply update from sdcard" and press <Power> button.
17. Choose your "update.zip" and press <Power> button.

Run revolutionary and then ClockWorkMod can be installed using ARM (Android Recovery Manager), just choose ClockWorkMod x.x.x.x from the download page and click "Download and Flash".

Hope it helped
Please vote and click Thanks if it did

Special thanks to prank1, f3nd3r and vslnweb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recovery1.jpg
Views:	52695
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	708855  
Last edited by claudenegm; 27th January 2013 at 05:09 PM.
The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to claudenegm For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2011, 07:57 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 42

567 posts
I dont tested it but it CANT work ;)

You push recovery_signed.img in your ADB folder and you are trying to flash an recovery.img ;)

Just a little error .... but confusing for "noobs" ;)
The Following User Says Thank You to xtcislove For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2011, 07:59 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

262 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtcislove

I dont tested it but it CANT work ;)

You push recovery_signed.img in your ADB folder and you are trying to flash an recovery.img ;)

Just a little error .... but confusing for "noobs" ;)

Just a typo, thanks for pointing it out
21st August 2011, 09:28 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 14

143 posts
More
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudenegm

1. Once you downloaded RUU open it and wait until you get to the "View Readme" page where there is the picture of an HTC device.

2. Go to your temp folder (Generally on Win 7 it's in "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp")

3. Look manually for folders that have lots of characters in that format: "{XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX}".

4. One of them should have another folder in it and 2 files, this folder should be in that same format "{XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX} too.

5. There should be in that folder something named "rom.zip", open it up, and extract the "recovery_signed.img" to your ADB folder which is usually in C:\adb

I have tried doing that, but I cannot seem to unzip the file. Windows keeps telling me that the .zip is invalid... Anyone have any suggestions??? I have also tried updating via "update.zip" and I get a status 7 error...
21st August 2011, 09:32 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

262 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsnlweb

I have tried doing that, but I cannot seem to unzip the file. Windows keeps telling me that the .zip is invalid... Anyone have any suggestions??? I have also tried updating via "update.zip" and I get a status 7 error...

I suggest using WinRAR. Don't use update.zip, this was not designed for that.
Just use winrar to extract the file, and then follow the guide.
21st August 2011, 09:33 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 7

114 posts
More
Probably because it's in use. Copy and paste the zip file to another folder and then extract that copy.
21st August 2011, 09:36 PM   |  #7  
Flag Landskrona
Thanks Meter: 50

496 posts
More
I only took rom.zip and renamed it PG58IMG.ZIP and put it on sd-card then restarted phone in vol down + power.
I was on rom 1.45 but wanted to go back to rom 1.35 and this worked for me
21st August 2011, 09:55 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

262 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbilbo

I only took rom.zip and renamed it PG58IMG.ZIP and put it on sd-card then restarted phone in vol down + power.
I was on rom 1.45 but wanted to go back to rom 1.35 and this worked for me

Yea, it should work. But you got the stock ROM and lost root.
I posted this tutorial to show how to update OTA without installing all the stock ROM and without loosing any personal info.
Last edited by claudenegm; 21st August 2011 at 10:01 PM.
21st August 2011, 11:07 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
It works if you're in S-OFF revolutionary? You lose the S-OFF? thanks

Enviado desde mi HTC Sensation Z710e usando Tapatalk
21st August 2011, 11:11 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

262 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorky40

It works if you're in S-OFF revolutionary? You lose the S-OFF? thanks

Enviado desde mi HTC Sensation Z710e usando Tapatalk

It does work in revolutionary, and you wont loose S-Off. You wont loose anything except the ClockWork mod, which will be replaced by the stock recovery
Last edited by claudenegm; 22nd August 2011 at 04:28 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to claudenegm For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
clockwork, custom recovery, ota, ruu, stock recovery
Previous Thread Next Thread