Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,008 Members 51,805 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Movie player

Tip us?

t0ne
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Movie player

Hi guys,

just got a HP touchpad. now is there a video player on here? and if its there what format do they have to be in to view it. have tried a couple of different ones and cant get them up.

Is there a player app i can download onto it at all ?

thanks

looktall
Old
Thanks Meter 13
there is a photos & videos app built in, but it's pretty poor for video.

you need to add your video files to the root of the built in storage (the tablet installs onto your computer as a removable drive).

i still haven't got my head around the video file support just yet, but it doesn't seem to handle .avi, divx, xvid etc.

mp4 seems to be the main format.

there are a couple of apps for streaming videos from a upnp media server, but nothing free as far as i can tell.
kalemsoft media player seems to be the best of these as it lets you load video files from the local storage on your tablet as well as browse for remote stuff.
i have successfully played an avi file using this app.
i've only tried the demo version so far which requires internet access in order to assess the trial period.

i don't particularly want to purchase the paid version just yet.
HTC Android Basic Kitchen - The newbie-friendly kitchen for HTC Android devices
The Following User Says Thank You to looktall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cdbillups
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I used Handbrake and followed the instructions here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...eset-dvds.html I just tried a short 45 minute kids dvd to see if it would work okay. It was about a 400mb file. Placed it in a folder called Videos on the root of the usb partition and it shows up fine in the Photos and Videos app.

looktall
Old
(Last edited by looktall; 23rd August 2011 at 01:37 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
Placed it in a folder called Videos on the root of the usb partition and it shows up fine in the Photos and Videos app.
see i tried doing that as well. creating a folder called videos on the root and it wasn't detected.
only when i added the file direct to root could i access it.
are directory names case sensitive?

a video player that allows you to browse and/or add directories would be much better.

EDIT: looks like i had a folder called video. changed it to videos and it shows up.
strangely enough kalemsoft creates a folder recordings. when i added a video file to that, it also showed up.
HTC Android Basic Kitchen - The newbie-friendly kitchen for HTC Android devices

nunjabusiness
Old
Thanks Meter 73
I have put my videos in the download folder and they show up in the stock player fine. Also converted DIVX avi files to MP4 with Handbrake. Used the ipad HD settings for nice quality.
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to nunjabusiness For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

backbone92
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Kalemsoft Media Player wil read a lot of video formats , you can find it on app catalog.

vanngoh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The kalemsof that i downloaded isnt displaying in full screen and sometimes will hang on my TP. Guess its still not compatible to TP yet?

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

RumoredNow
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunjabusiness View Post
I have put my videos in the download folder and they show up in the stock player fine. Also converted DIVX avi files to MP4 with Handbrake. Used the ipad HD settings for nice quality.
Thanx for the tip about Handbrake, nunja. I'll try it for conversions. I concur with the settings...

I'm on a Pre 2 and have no problems with mp4 playing (once you get the settings down it becomes rote). For my phone I use iPod settings...

For ripping from DVD I use DVDFab3 - I know there are way newer versions out there and I tried them but always go back to version 3. I just like the UI and it has never let me down. Point it at a DVD or ISO and under Mobile click Generic. You can configure it for generic mp4 and get a resolution up to 848x480 which should be alright on the TP screen. Your settings like Resolution, bitrate, volume level, subpicture - can all be saved as a profile.

DVDFab3 in a .rar file. Just extract and it will run out of the folder without install...
Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile Variant): Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers
LG Nexus 4 (16GB): Sailfish OS EA3
Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S