5,594,438 Members 32,886 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android APP developing: Patenting Apps?

Tip us?

tannerw_2010
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Android APP developing: Patenting Apps?

Alright here's the deal. I have an app idea for a game that I plan on creating that is very simple, and I have a good feeling it will take off. My worries is that developing it will almost be pointless because of the lax android market policy. I am a new programmer, so my worry is I will make the app pretty decent, and some more experienced programmer will be able to duplicate it and make it better. This just doesn't seem right. I know this happens all the time (Fruit Slice, for example, is a Fruit Ninja knockoff and it's free).

Android is a love it/ hate it relationship. Users love being able to download just as good of knockoffs for free, but I'm sure this is a major turn off for developers who worked hard on their original idea's, just to have it undercut by another developer who will offer a similar (or even better app) for free. Part of me wishes I could just develop it for iOS, but I don't have a Mac or iPhone, and don't ever plan on getting one.

My question is, is there anyway to stop it? Like a patent, or something similar? This is my major hesitation to developing for android. I know I'm not going to be the best programmer out there, but it's the idea that make the apps, and that's where I feel like (I'm sure a lot of other people do too) I could do some contributing. Let me know how you guys feel about this

tannerw_2010
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Anybody? 10Char

nyydynasty
Old
Thanks Meter 212
welcome to programming for any platform. There are (free) alternatives to almost every single program (android-based, windows-based, etc...)

Hans Schmucker
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I think you're in a very bad place to ask about that question. Programmers are usually not at all fond of patents since they tend to be overly broad, hard to detect and generally of low quality. (In case you haven't noticed that's also my opinion)

But yes, if that's what you want to do, a patent would be the way to go. Copyright protects your code, but not your idea.

dugiteddy
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Make it free. Put ads on it. If it takes off make an iOS one
Sent from my MOTWX435KT using XDA App

leftAlone
Old
Thanks Meter 32
As far as I can remember, from my Intellectual Property Law class, software (i.e. apps) cannot be the subject of a patent. But of course, this changes from country to country.

Here are some links you might want to read up on:
http://www.wipo.int/patentscope/en/p....html#software
http://www.freibrun.com/articles/articl2.htm
Press thanks if this helped you out!

Hans Schmucker
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Computer-based inventions... yeah, they're not supposed to be patentable: Not in the US and even less in the EU. The key point is how computer-based inventions is defined. The standard way around it is simply to patent "a machine doing XY" instead of "XY"

Basically, the patent clerks don't check for anything but formalities. I used to help out on the peertopatent platform, but it just became ridicolous because the clerks would let everything through no matter what prior art or explanations of obviousness we provided.

Gusar321
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Patenting is the worst thing you can do. Don't you read all the patent BS going around lately? Also, spending money on a patent won't be enough, you'll also need to spent money enforcing it, and you won't make any friends by being a litigator.

All you can do is provide the best product you can come up with and hope for the best. If someone makes something similar but better, well, you'll just have to work harder. Or drop the whole thing.

But as others have said, you'll have this problem on *all* platforms. A practical example, when Nero released their burning app for Linux, my thought was "This is kinda cool, but why would I pay for Nero, when there's K3B and other apps that to the job, but are open source and free?"

The trick is to provide something others don't have. In the case of NeroLinux it's familiarity for ex-Windows folks or dual-booters. In your case it could be more features, better graphics, easier to navigate interface, regularly provided additional content... something in that direction.