Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,798 Members 48,964 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Get your Old Android Market Back

Tip us?

Omnichron
Old
(Last edited by orb3000; 15th September 2011 at 11:25 PM.) Reason: Tag!
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 117
Talking [APP] Get your Old Android Market Back

You know what distinguishes a good the from the from a bad on? The good one spend his time is helping others, while the bed one spend his is time consolidation power

There are no stupid question, every question is a quest for knowledge..Knowledge flows freely here at XDA! ask and ye shall b answered.

ThaNx to all the member that TEAM AD with the various tips and trick for this post I walk away, but my knowledge increased by the experiences shared with is wonderful group people. Long Live Android!

Installation:
1. Download files below, do not rename them! Transfer to SD Card.

2.* Use any file explorer and mount system as RW and delete file name (Root Explorer works nicely)‘Vending.APK’ and ‘MarketUpdater.apk’ from /system/app/. You can also delete folders com.android.vending and com.android.vending.updater in /data/data.
*Do a reboot.
* Open File explorer/ Root Explorer and Mount your file system as RW and copy ‘updater.apk’ from SD Card to /system/app/ and do a reboot.
* Now, mount your file system as RW from explorer and copy ‘market.apk’ from SD Card to /system/app/ and Reboot phone.

Edit: I feel retarded.. forgot to mention that this method is iffy on my rooted stock ROM, but it works great on my rooted custom rom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
acolwill[/B];16952837]What functionality? All I see is fancy graphics designed for children and iRetards, there's no discernible change in how apps are grouped or searched for since version 2.12.
I have 5 android devices ranging from the HTC Hero up to the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the new market looks **** on every one. Application presentation is marred with oversized text and incessant scrolling, making it slower to actually see information pertinent to what you are looking at. Emphasis should be on the applications contained within the market, not the market application itself.
Other than that, the obfuscated way that application permissions are presented to a user in the newer versions makes it far too easy for the layman to install things with less than honourable permission requests. At least in version 2.12 you HAD to move your fingers around to accept permissions, since then all it takes is two jabs with a finger with little or no perceived consequence.

The fault lies with Google for forcing the new market style on users, no choices outside of root&destroy.

So thanks for actually taking the time for making the Google apps look nice, just let those whom want the 'clean' version have their say.

--

The attached Vending.apk is the "old" market. In order to install it, you must be rooted and you need either a little knowledge of ADB or Root Explorer from the market.

Using ADB;
Reboot into recovery and plug into pc, mount /system using your recovery
From your preferred ADB console:
adb push Vending.apk /system/app
adb shell rm /system/app/MarketUpdater.apk
adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/Vending.apk
adb shell chown root.root /system/app/Vending.apk
Reboot.

Using Root Explorer;
Download apk to sdcard
mount /system rw
browse to /system/app
remove MarketUpdater.apk
remove Vending.apk
browse back to sdcard and copy the Vending.apk to /data/local/tmp
copy the Vending.apk from /data/local/tmp to /system/app
using permissions action, set permissions on Vending.apk [Owner: Read Write. Group: Read. Others: Read]
using set owner action, set owner to 0 - root, group to 0 - root.
Close and reboot.

The Root Explorer method may not work for all phones, and will not work on HTC phones which do not have s-off. The ADB method should work on any rooted device which previously had market access.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
here.david[/B];16956089]Thanks that worked BTW, on the Vibrant (MiUi) here is the command I used to mount without going into CWM....

From your preferred ADB console:
adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/stl9 /system
adb push Vending.apk /system/app
adb shell rm /system/app/MarketUpdater.apk
adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/Vending.apk
adb shell chown root.root /system/app/Vending.apk
Reboot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
nygmam[/B];16959137]I use a simple method, which works very well, and so far has not had a down side:

1) Using Titanium Backup (Or another app that lets you do this) either Freeze (Paid app) or Backup, then delete Market Update (Free App)
2) Go to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, and scroll down to market, and select
3) Uninstall updates from Market

This is very easy to do, and you may be able to use other freeze or backup apps to achieve the same result. Also note, no reboot required.
Attached Files
File Type: apk market.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.76 MB, 36945 views)
File Type: apk updater.apk - [Click for QR Code] (5.3 KB, 19734 views)
Douchebag Level: Maximum
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to Omnichron For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nygmam
Old
(Last edited by the_scotsman; 24th August 2011 at 10:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 178
I use a simple method, which works very well, and so far has not had a down side:

1) Using Titanium Backup (Or another app that lets you do this) either Freeze (Paid app) or Backup, then delete Market Update (Free App)
2) Go to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, and scroll down to market, and select
3) Uninstall updates from Market

This is very easy to do, and you may be able to use other freeze or backup apps to achieve the same result. Also note, no reboot required.

[Phone: T-Mobile Note 3]
[ROM: Rooted KK Stock 4.4.2][knox: 0x0]

Wife: Samsung Galaxy S4- Stock

_____

[For Sale]:HTC HD2 - TMOUS
[ROM:Pixeldroid JB 4.2.2 V6]
[R:2.15.50.14][SPL:HardSPL2-1024 2.08]
_____

Twins Tablet x2: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Stock Rom - Rooted

Samsung Smartview Dual View TV app - Works on S2, S3 maybe more
<<User name should be NYGMan, been meeing to change it for some time, but now it's too late>>
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nygmam For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

starquake64
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Why would anyone want to do that? To put it in a different way: What are the advantages of the old market?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starquake64 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

qaliza
Old
Thanks Meter 412
Thanks man, the new market sucks...
Carrier: Etisalat Egypt
Device: HTC ONE

Scratch0805
Old
Thanks Meter 1193
For some people the new market lags a lot especially on lower end phones, the last version was terrible for me so I had to use the old one but this latest update is a huge improvement, so i'll stick with it.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using XDA Premium App

My Devices
Samsung Galaxy S2
Asus Nexus 7
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
2 x Samsung Galaxy Ace 5380i's
HTC Wildfire

mycolourscreen

My Dropbox

nikosrs4
Old
Thanks Meter 367

DONATE TO ME
If you change the density of your phone's display, you wont't be able to download many apps(shazam free for example). It says that your device is incompatible, that's why I reverted back to the old market.

Sent from my HTC Desire

li9ht
Old
Thanks Meter 9
new market sucks..it lags on older phone

werdna72
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Agreed. Installed it, and soon had to restore old version from backup!
HTC One X+
Android version 4.1.1
Baseband version 3.1204.168.32
Kernel version 3.1.10-gf362097 root@abm032 #1 SMP PREEMPT
Build number 1.17.206.1 CL135278 release-keys
Browser version WebKit/534.30

QBall45
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Any chance this will work without root? My wife hates the new market.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 13812

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBall45 View Post
Any chance this will work without root? My wife hates the new market.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
Have you given a brief look at the benefits of root vs stock? Well worth it.. Just a little research about rooting your particular phone and you can do it quite simply

New? | How2XDA | Rules | GPL | Get A Mod | Staff | Apply - RC/RT | Apply - RD | Apply - Mod
New to the HTC One Max? - Check This | Kernel Sources: Vigor | Fireball | Inc | M7 | T6 | M8