[GUIDE] How to get Ubuntu on the TouchPad
First off this is completely from Rennat over at PreCentral
TUTORIAL: How to get the UbuntuChroot up and running for your HP TouchPad
UbuntuChroot is the raw Ubuntu terminal without the familiar GNOME graphical interface that all have come to think of Ubuntu. With this installed, you will be able to install ubuntu programs and launch them with in the terminal card.
To do this, the basic rundown will be making a new WebOS Doctor that has a separete partition of memory for Ubuntu to run with in. Then we will install it on your TouchPad and mount that partition so it will be able to be used after a reboot of the device. Lastly, we will install Xecutah, XServer, and UbuntuChroot from Preware and boot up Ubuntu on your TouchPad.
Both credit and Props go to WebOS Internals for making this possible and putting in all the hard work they have to make it as easy as it is.
I nor WebOS Internals take no responsibility over what may happen to your device. If you follow these instructions it 'should' work perfectly. If you do endup messing something up you 'should' be able to just doctor the device using the stock WebOS Doctor from HP.
- I have provided 2 different ways to set your device up to install the UbuntuChroot onto your device; use the meta-doctor and create your own doctor (Step 1-A) or do as Step 1-B says and contact my army of monkeys for an easier alternitive that won't take forever.
##You my want to backup app data and the like using Save/Restore in Preware as you will lose all your data buy installing a WebOS Doctor. Please do so! And done hesitate to ask questions.
Step 1-A: Creating a WebOS Doctor
- We will be using the Meta Doctor to create a special WebOS Doctor that will create a 2GB (or more if you wish to do so) partition in /media/ext3fs/ were Ubuntu will be.
- Use the WebOS Internals Guide to installing and running the Meta Doctor.
In Step 2 you will have to rename you downloaded webOS doctor to the name of the Bell Mobility doctor they have under Step 2'3 (webosdoctorp100ewwbellmo.jar) go ahead and add the webOS version after it like it advises.
- In Step 2'6, if you are using a Wifi Only TouchPad you will be using the last one which has touchpad for device and WiFi all for the carrier.
- Once the Meta Doctor is done, run the Web's Doctor it created under the 'builds' folder. And setup your device.
Step 1-B: Contacting My Army of Monkeys
- If you are having trouble with or are intimidated by Step 1-A go ahead and contact my army of monkeys at firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 2: Mounting the new ext3fc partition on bootup
- Now before we continue we have to make sure we have the partition fully setup and mounted on bootup. To do this follow the below WebOS Internals instructions.
Step 3: Adding Testing Feeds
All of this is done on device either via novaterm or an SSH login. (simpler terms mean use WebOS Quick install by connecting you device, opening WebOSQuickInstall, and click Tools-Command Line.) If your device does NOT have a folder at /media/ext3fs then you will need to create it first. Use the following two commands:
it is important that you use /media/ext3fs as the location, otherwise some homebrew applications (such as Optware and the Ubuntu 11.04 Chroot) will not be able to find it and use it properly.
mount -o remount,rw /
mkdir -p /media/ext3fs
After you have created the mountpoint, we are going to edit the fstab file to set it up to mount at bootup.
Now to get it mounted you have several options, the best one is the first command as it will use the data in /etc/fstab. If that works, then you have done this correctly and your ext3fs will mount at bootup.
mount -o remount,rw /
echo "/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs ext3 noatime,data=writeback 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
If you do not want it mounted at bootup, but you do need it mounted, you can use this command.
mount /dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs
- Follow these WebOS Internals Instructions to add the Testing Feeds.
NOTE: These are edited slightly and will only work on a Wifi only TouchPad.
- Open Preware and wait for it to finish loading.
- Open the App Menu (tap "Preware" in the top left corner of the screen) and tap Manage feeds.
- Scroll to the bottom until you see the New Feed box.
- Type or paste a name (webos-testing-armv7) and URL (Right Click - Copy Address) sure the URL does *not* have a slash at the end.
- Make sure the IS COMPRESSED option is set to YES.
- Tap Add Feed and then tap Yes when the alert pops up.
- Gesture swipe back. Preware will alert you that you have added feeds and ask if you want to update them now. Choose YES.
Step 4: Installing UbuntuChroot, Xecutah, and XServer
- Open up Preware and tap List Of Everything.
- Search for and install the following: UbuntuChroot, Xecutah, and XServer
- Now opened Xecutah and tap XServer and a new card will come up.
- Go back to Xecutah and tap UbuntuChroot. Then swipe back to the new card that came up.
- Now you should have the Ubuntu terminal. Done. It should have a few 'mount' commands and then the @Touchpad:
Step 5: Installing Programs
- Now to have some fun after all that work you put in!
- Type the below and it will update the program lists.
- Now type the following to install what ever you wish!
/***type the below for AbiWord
apt-get install abiword
/***type the below for the Chromium Browser
apt-get install chromium-browser
/***type the below for GIMP
apt-get install gimp
/***type the below for Eclipse
apt-get install eclipse
/**type the below for LibreOffice
apt-get install LibreOffice
/***type the below for LXDE (a windows graphical interface) and then launch it by typing lxsession.
apt-get install lxde
agian from precentral enjoy guys
Mods please move to there thread i was in a rush (dead battery) and put it in the wrong forum
HTC Touch Pro-->HTC Touch Pro 2-->HTC Desire-->HTC Legend-->Acer Luiquid E-->Nexus One-->SE X10-->HTC HD2-->Nexus One-->HTC Hero-->LG Optimus 7-->HTC Incredible S-->HTC Sensation 4G-->Motorola Razor V3-->Nokia 2610-->SE X10-->HTC Wildfire S-->HTC Desire Z-->HTC Incredible S-->HTC Sensation 4G-->HTC Raider-->HTC EVO 3D-->HTC Incredible S-->Xperia Arc-->HTC Amaze-->HTC Evo 3D-->IPhone 4-->HTC Evo 3D-->Xperia Play-->HTC Raider-->Nokia 920-Matte Black
Drop Box Referral, give 500 MB to me and get 500 MB for you ---> http://db.tt/o00MBOW