Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Openvpn

OP rweb

26th August 2011, 03:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9

99 posts
One of the top reasons I wished root was openvpn. Anybody knows about working binary and TUN/TAP driver for D3? If yes, it could save me time, if not I'll build it over the weekend. TIA.
26th August 2011, 03:46 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 140

1,345 posts
More
Since the sources are available, we just need somebody bright enough to compile the module against those sources. I am sure it is coming shortly. That's the sole reason I would use root too.
26th August 2011, 04:26 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

99 posts
Not a big problem, I'll do it later.
26th August 2011, 05:21 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 8

208 posts
Even if you built the driver using the moto source code, I don't know if you could inject the driver into the kernel area anyway. I'm pretty new to Moto Android, but doesn't the locked bootloader prevent tampering with the kernel?
26th August 2011, 05:26 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

99 posts
You only need to be root to load kernel modules. It's not a new kernel.
27th August 2011, 04:21 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 8

208 posts
I see, so you plan on loading the module manually every time? what a pain. I guess its a small cost compared to the alternative.
27th August 2011, 04:39 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

27 posts
If you use OpenVPN Settings, it will load the kernel module for you.

I must say though, Motorola did a good job expanding on Android's VPN support. I was able to connect to my IPSEC VPN, stock, unlike every other Android phone I've had.
29th August 2011, 04:43 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 11

64 posts
It looks like the tun driver is built into the stock kernel. I built the kernel from Moto's source and in its .config, tun is set to be compiled in the kernel.

So to verify this, I installed the openvpn binaries using OpenVPN Installer from the market and tried giving it a whirl. It connected and created a tun device, but failed on running ifconfig and route. Not sure where its pulling these bins from, but links in both bin and xbin point to busybox.

I can configure tun0 and the routing table manually and successfully pass traffic through the tunnel. This isn't ideal, so I'd like to find out why openvpn is unable to use these tools. Any ideas?
The Following User Says Thank You to limaxray For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th August 2011, 02:50 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

99 posts
First thanks, you are right, tun/tap is built-in. I wouldn't have expected this.
Second, could you please point me to .config? I must be blind, I cannot find it.

I see the strange behaviour as you. However it doesnt't bother me much, because I write a start script anyway.
I can only imagine there is something wrong with the binary of OpenVPN Installer. I found a hint to this:
http://code.google.com/p/android-ope...es/detail?id=2
However I tried the workaround with the symlink to /system/xbin/bb, it didn't work neither.
29th August 2011, 03:43 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 11

64 posts
It is surprising to see tun built in - I wonder if they were considering adding OpenVPN support out of the box.

You're probably right that there's something wrong with the OpenVPN Installer binaries. I made a script in GScript for the time being, but prefer using OpenVPN Settings.

.config is nowhere to be found, but it is generated when the Moto kernel source is built. Now I'm assuming this is the same config used on the prod device, but that's a pretty big assumption.

Anyway, see attached. It sure is odd I can't attach a gzipped tarball on a forum focused on Linux development.
Attached Files
File Type: zip config.zip - [Click for QR Code] (16.8 KB, 29 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to limaxray For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread