Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,969 Members 37,842 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Openvpn

Tip us?

rweb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Openvpn

One of the top reasons I wished root was openvpn. Anybody knows about working binary and TUN/TAP driver for D3? If yes, it could save me time, if not I'll build it over the weekend. TIA.

leobg
Old
Thanks Meter 132
Since the sources are available, we just need somebody bright enough to compile the module against those sources. I am sure it is coming shortly. That's the sole reason I would use root too.
leobg

rweb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Not a big problem, I'll do it later.

Darksurf
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Even if you built the driver using the moto source code, I don't know if you could inject the driver into the kernel area anyway. I'm pretty new to Moto Android, but doesn't the locked bootloader prevent tampering with the kernel?

rweb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
You only need to be root to load kernel modules. It's not a new kernel.

Darksurf
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I see, so you plan on loading the module manually every time? what a pain. I guess its a small cost compared to the alternative.

neonerz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
If you use OpenVPN Settings, it will load the kernel module for you.

I must say though, Motorola did a good job expanding on Android's VPN support. I was able to connect to my IPSEC VPN, stock, unlike every other Android phone I've had.

limaxray
Old
Thanks Meter 11
It looks like the tun driver is built into the stock kernel. I built the kernel from Moto's source and in its .config, tun is set to be compiled in the kernel.

So to verify this, I installed the openvpn binaries using OpenVPN Installer from the market and tried giving it a whirl. It connected and created a tun device, but failed on running ifconfig and route. Not sure where its pulling these bins from, but links in both bin and xbin point to busybox.

I can configure tun0 and the routing table manually and successfully pass traffic through the tunnel. This isn't ideal, so I'd like to find out why openvpn is unable to use these tools. Any ideas?
The Following User Says Thank You to limaxray For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rweb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
First thanks, you are right, tun/tap is built-in. I wouldn't have expected this.
Second, could you please point me to .config? I must be blind, I cannot find it.

I see the strange behaviour as you. However it doesnt't bother me much, because I write a start script anyway.
I can only imagine there is something wrong with the binary of OpenVPN Installer. I found a hint to this:
http://code.google.com/p/android-ope...es/detail?id=2
However I tried the workaround with the symlink to /system/xbin/bb, it didn't work neither.

limaxray
Old
Thanks Meter 11
It is surprising to see tun built in - I wonder if they were considering adding OpenVPN support out of the box.

You're probably right that there's something wrong with the OpenVPN Installer binaries. I made a script in GScript for the time being, but prefer using OpenVPN Settings.

.config is nowhere to be found, but it is generated when the Moto kernel source is built. Now I'm assuming this is the same config used on the prod device, but that's a pretty big assumption.

Anyway, see attached. It sure is odd I can't attach a gzipped tarball on a forum focused on Linux development.
Attached Files
File Type: zip config.zip - [Click for QR Code] (16.8 KB, 29 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to limaxray For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]