List of Mango-enabled Apps **Latest: Evernote**

Search This thread

prjkthack

Jan 4, 2009
Eagan, MN
www.prjkthack.com
Alright, I figured, it'd be nice to see what all the new Mango APIs can do, and the only good way of doing that is to download and play with an application that takes advantage of Mango specific features. Especially since there aren't many at the moment, and most devs are hesitant to make the jump.

So here are the apps found so far on the Marketplace that are 'mango-enabled':

---

4th & Mayor
-multiple start tiles, deep linking

About Me
-local live tiles

attentive phone (for HTC devices) ◊
-installs to settings

Bandwidth

BBC News Beta
-background agent, multiple start tiles, toast notifications

Beards and Beaks

Catch Phrase Party

Compass
-compass

ConnectivityShortcuts
-multiple start tiles

Custom Tiles Maker Pro
-multiple start tiles

EncryptText
-double-sided tiles

Evernote

Flixter

Flowerz

Fortune Coins (for LG devices) ◊
-camera, compass

Four In A Row

Foursquare
-multiple start tiles, deep linking, app extras

Gchat

GooNews

gReadie
-multiple start tiles, deep linking, background agent, local live tiles

i'm a WP7

Insider
-ringtones

Locations (for HTC devices) ◊
-multiple start tiles, deep linking, compass

MagikMail
-double-sided tiles

Metro Scanner (for LG devices) ◊
-camera, compass

moTweets

MSN Movies
-app extras, deep linking

myMedia WP7
-background audio

NextGen Reader

Network Dashboard
-multiple start tiles

Now (for Samsung devices) ◊

OpenTable

Parachute Panic
-custom ringtones

Park It

Photo Enhancer (for HTC devices) ◊

Pic2shop
-camera

RemoteDesktop

Rise Of Glory

Rocket Riot

Sat Rad Player
-background audio

SelfTimer
-camera

ScanSearch (for LG devices) ◊
-camera, compass

Slacker (for T-Mobile devices)
-background audio, multiple start tiles, deep linking

sound enhancer (for HTC devices) ◊

So What's Today
-multiple start tiles, local live tiles, deep linking

Stopwatch

Tasks

Teletext

Tiny eBook Reader
-double-sided tiles

WeatherLive
-double-sided tiles, background agent, deep linking, local live tiles

Weave

WhatsApp
-contacts

White Light * ◊
-camera

Windows Phone Insider
-ringtones

Wonder Reader
-background agent, local live tiles, multiple start tiles, deep linking, double-sided tiles

WPCentral
-multiple start tiles, deep linking, double-sided tiles, background agent, notifications, local live tiles

Xbox Live Extras

◊ Confirmed to be built on the Windows Phone 7.1 SDK, capable of using everything Mango supports.
• Is not based on the Windows Phone 7.1 SDK but does have some Mango-only features.
* Looks like the White Light app is working just fine on the Samsung Focus, but does not work on some other devices (such as the Dell Venue Pro, or HTC HD7/HD7S). Also, while Mango does not officially support an API to control the LEDs on a device, this app takes advantage of a workaround in Mango's new Camera API to make it work.

---

If you find anymore, reply and I can add them to the list. Let's see if we can get a nice list together and find out what these apps are capable of. Note that I'm particularly only looking for apps that have been published and are available on the Marketplace at this very moment, or even those of you developers that have apps in the works (and have .XAPs available to test out). I will make an attempt to test each app found and log it's use of Mango's features.

Mango Capability Key
multitasking/resume* - the ability for the app to quickly resume (aka fast task switching) when you go back to it (either from the back button, or the new task switcher).
background agent - the ability for the app to run a particular task in the background at particular intervals.
background audio - the ability for an app to play audio in the background when the app is not active and/or take advantage of the on-screen media controls.
deep linking - being able to open a link or pinned item outside of the app or within a Bing search card and be taken directly to a particular part of that app.
multiple start tiles - being able to pin more than 1 tile to the start screen for the same app (usually used as part of deep linking).
app extras - the ability to be displayed within a Bing search card when a particular search is done.
notifications - the ability to display local toast notifications (not push based).
local live tiles - the ability to update and provide live tiles locally on device (not push based). normally used in combination with a background agent.
double-sided tiles - app uses double-sided (front and back) tiles to display information (either push or local).
camera - use of the camera within the app.
compass - uses the hardware-based compass.
installs to settings - app is accessed from the settings menu.
ringtones - app has the ability to set or load custom ringtones onto a device.
contacts - has access to the phone's built-in contact list.

*Because all apps have multitasking and fast resume baked in when they are compiled as Mango apps with the 7.1 SDK, I decided that it doesn't make much sense to list it for every app.

Last edited:

seanlindo06

Mar 21, 2007
Yeah that's pretty lame on their part. Are there any marketplace apps or websites capable of filtering 7.1 apps?

Sent from my Samsung Focus using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

munkeyphyst

Mar 9, 2011
Chicago
I'm running 7720 RTM. I downloaded msn movies and can't find any "deep linking"

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Last edited:

PG2G

Nov 7, 2010
I'm running 7720 RTM. I downloaded msn movies and can't find any "deep linking" when I use the task switcher from MSN movies, my other apps are no longer there, just msn movies.

Do a search for a movie in bing, select the movie card, go to showtimes, hit buy tickets and that will deep link into MSN Movies

Select the movie card, go to apps, and that will deep link into MSN Movies

prjkthack

Jan 4, 2009
Eagan, MN
www.prjkthack.com
Btw what are local live tiles??

Local live tiles are live tiles that are generated on your device, usually with the use of a background agent. So for example, Wonder Reader will now use a background agent to automatically grab RSS feed updates every 30 minutes or so, and then it will generate a local live tile showing you the feed count and the latest headline. All of this, without having to use push notifications or connecting back to the Wonder Reader server or anything like that.

Added descriptions for the terms I used to describe Mango capabilities.

Last edited:

FiyaFleye

Oct 26, 2008
Miami
Yeah, and yes, all that good stuff. App is still horribly laggy & buggy though, they need a better dev.

Whoa. They updated the T-Mobile version, but not the version available to everyone? What an odd move. Haha.

Any idea what's new with it? I assume multitasking/fast resume and being able to play music in the background?

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

prjkthack

Jan 4, 2009
Eagan, MN
www.prjkthack.com
Yeah that's pretty lame on their part. Are there any marketplace apps or websites capable of filtering 7.1 apps?

Not sure about sites that do that. So far, it looks like wp7applist.com hasn't displayed any apps that have been recently updated for Mango only. So not sure if the Marketplace changes prevent them from detecting Mango-only updates, or if something else is going on.

One thing you left out is the dual sided live tiles

I originally thought to group that in with "local live tiles", but now that I think about it, its something specific that can be done with either local tiles or push tiles, so it should be something separate. Thanks for bringing it up.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright, I figured, it'd be nice to see what all the new Mango APIs can do, and the only good way of doing that is to download and play with an application that takes advantage of Mango specific features. Especially since there aren't many at the moment, and most devs are hesitant to make the jump.

So here are the apps found so far on the Marketplace that are 'mango-enabled':

---

4th & Mayor

About Me
    -local live tiles

attentive phone (for HTC devices) ◊
    -installs to settings

Bandwidth

BBC News Beta
    -background agent, multiple start tiles, toast notifications

Beards and Beaks

Catch Phrase Party

Compass
    -compass

ConnectivityShortcuts
    -multiple start tiles

Custom Tiles Maker Pro
    -multiple start tiles

EncryptText
    -double-sided tiles

Evernote

Flixter

Flowerz

Fortune Coins (for LG devices) ◊
    -camera, compass

Four In A Row

Foursquare
    -multiple start tiles, deep linking, app extras

Gchat

GooNews

gReadie
    -multiple start tiles, deep linking, background agent, local live tiles

i'm a WP7

Insider
    -ringtones

Locations (for HTC devices) ◊
    -multiple start tiles, deep linking, compass

MagikMail
    -double-sided tiles

Metro Scanner (for LG devices) ◊
    -camera, compass

moTweets

MSN Movies
    -app extras, deep linking

myMedia WP7
    -background audio

NextGen Reader

Network Dashboard
    -multiple start tiles

Now (for Samsung devices) ◊

OpenTable

Parachute Panic
    -custom ringtones

Park It

Photo Enhancer (for HTC devices) ◊

Pic2shop
    -camera

RemoteDesktop

Rise Of Glory

Rocket Riot

Sat Rad Player
    -background audio

SelfTimer
    -camera

ScanSearch (for LG devices) ◊
    -camera, compass

Slacker (for T-Mobile devices)
    -background audio, multiple start tiles, deep linking

sound enhancer (for HTC devices) ◊

So What's Today
    -multiple start tiles, local live tiles, deep linking

Stopwatch

Tasks

Teletext

Tiny eBook Reader
    -double-sided tiles

WeatherLive
    -double-sided tiles, background agent, deep linking, local live tiles

Weave

WhatsApp
    -contacts

White Light * ◊
    -camera

Windows Phone Insider
    -ringtones

Wonder Reader
    -background agent, local live tiles, multiple start tiles, deep linking, double-sided tiles

WPCentral
    -multiple start tiles, deep linking, double-sided tiles, background agent, notifications, local live tiles

Xbox Live Extras

◊ Confirmed to be built on the Windows Phone 7.1 SDK, capable of using everything Mango supports.
    • Is not based on the Windows Phone 7.1 SDK but does have some Mango-only features.
    * Looks like the White Light app is working just fine on the Samsung Focus, but does not work on some other devices (such as the Dell Venue Pro, or HTC HD7/HD7S). Also, while Mango does not officially support an API to control the LEDs on a device, this app takes advantage of a workaround in Mango's new Camera API to make it work.

---

If you find anymore, reply and I can add them to the list. Let's see if we can get a nice list together and find out what these apps are capable of. Note that I'm particularly only looking for apps that have been published and are available on the Marketplace at this very moment, or even those of you developers that have apps in the works (and have .XAPs available to test out). I will make an attempt to test each app found and log it's use of Mango's features.

Mango Capability Key
    multitasking/resume* - the ability for the app to quickly resume (aka fast task switching) when you go back to it (either from the back button, or the new task switcher).
    background agent - the ability for the app to run a particular task in the background at particular intervals.
    background audio - the ability for an app to play audio in the background when the app is not active and/or take advantage of the on-screen media controls.
    deep linking - being able to open a link or pinned item outside of the app or within a Bing search card and be taken directly to a particular part of that app.
    multiple start tiles - being able to pin more than 1 tile to the start screen for the same app (usually used as part of deep linking).
    app extras - the ability to be displayed within a Bing search card when a particular search is done.
    notifications - the ability to display local toast notifications (not push based).
    local live tiles - the ability to update and provide live tiles locally on device (not push based). normally used in combination with a background agent.
    double-sided tiles - app uses double-sided (front and back) tiles to display information (either push or local).
    camera - use of the camera within the app.
    compass - uses the hardware-based compass.
    installs to settings - app is accessed from the settings menu.
    ringtones - app has the ability to set or load custom ringtones onto a device.
    contacts - has access to the phone's built-in contact list.

*Because all apps have multitasking and fast resume baked in when they are compiled as Mango apps with the 7.1 SDK, I decided that it doesn't make much sense to list it for every app.
    What are those "lots more"? Its going to be impossible to keep track of these. I'm sure the big name apps will be reported on wpcentral or wmpoweruser but I would like to support the smaller devs.

Eventually, this list will become absolutely useless - most apps on the Marketplace will eventually become Mango apps. But in the mean time, since the Mango Marketplace is just getting started, it'd be nice to know what apps have moved over to Mango and to have some new things to play with so we can all see these devs take full power of our devices.

We all like new toys, right?

List updated.
    White Light. Uses your phone's LED as a flashlight & works on my Focus.

works on my focus with 7720RTM. It's not available on my wife's focus that is still running nodo. What phone are you using?

Maybe its a focus/Samsung only thing at the moment.

Running 7712 on an HD7S.
    The Samsung Now app has been updated today to support Mango. It (finally) has a weather live tile and can also do multiple live tiles (for stocks, top tweets etc).