5,599,977 Members 45,314 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Gorilla Glass screen so is a protector necessary?

Tip us?

harmohn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Default Gorilla Glass screen so is a protector necessary?

Just wanted to get some thoughts / experience from you guys on this please.
The Following User Says Thank You to harmohn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rusty!
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1735
Gorilla Glass is tough, but it's not the indestructible thing a lot of people think it is. I still have the factory protector in place.
Google Nexus 5 on Giffgaff UK
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty! For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

harmohn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Cheers Rusty!

Was asking as I'm generally pretty careful with my devices and was thinking it should be durable enough for my jean pocket.

crzycrkr
Old
Thanks Meter 199
Durable, yes, scratch proof, no. Even people that are gentle get scratches once in a while. If one grain of sand gets in your pocket with the phone you could end up with scratches. Do yourself a favor and get a good quality protector that you will never notice once its on. I use Steinheil protectors.

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crzycrkr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

harmohn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
Durable, yes, scratch proof, no. Even people that are gentle get scratches once in a while. If one grain of sand gets in your pocket with the phone you could end up with scratches. Do yourself a favor and get a good quality protector that you will never notice once its on. I use Steinheil protectors.

Thanks for the advice crzycrkr - you make a fair point, I'll take a look at the Steinheil.

Cheers, H

XT69
Old
Thanks Meter 15

DONATE TO ME
my only problem is with protectors I can't make the same slick swipe movements, that I used to make on the glass surface... the film just sticks to my fingers, and sliding on it is just not so fluent...

crzycrkr
Old
Thanks Meter 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT69 View Post
my only problem is with protectors I can't make the same slick swipe movements, that I used to make on the glass surface... the film just sticks to my fingers, and sliding on it is just not so fluent...
You have not tried any good protectors then. Stick with dry application ones. The wet applications are more rubber like. The Steinheil is called the Ultra Optics I think. Have one on my Transformer and you can't even tell its there and can slide across it just like the glass. I used Boxwave in the past, but they scratched too easily. There are a lot of good protectors out there, just do some reading and stay away from Zagg Invisible Shields no matter what you do.

aMpeX
Old
Thanks Meter 201

DONATE TO ME
I use a cloth pouch for my phone and haven't got any scratches since I got it (launch)

Like crzycrkr said, sand and minerals/stones in general are kryptonite for Gorilla Glass, whereas coins/keys/metal are no problem.

So, in my opinion, if you keep the phone in a pouch, you shouldn't face any serious problems.
Did my post help you? Please hit Thanks! Use the search function!

Rusty!
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1735
Unless some sand finds it's way into the pouch, then you're utterly boned.
Google Nexus 5 on Giffgaff UK

MikuSE610
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmohn View Post
Just wanted to get some thoughts / experience from you guys on this please.
Hey dude. Do use a screen protector, my Nokia X6 has Gorilla glass too. but it has some scratches at the screen even when I put it inside a leather case.

The Following User Says Thank You to MikuSE610 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]