Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,884 Members 52,736 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 [Video Walkthrough]

Tip us?

bskim23
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Does this work with 16GB WIFI UEKME 3.1 tab?

yongck7
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by djR3Z View Post
A big thanks to RoboBear, tphillips, Lorddeff07, and anyone else that has helped make this happen.

I try to make my guides simple and straightforward so that the average user can root their device. I show every detail and walk you through the process. This guide is a complete video walkthrough on how to root the Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi with edits based on the issues that some may run into with previous guides. Without further ado, let's get started!
Thanks for the detail root instruction, it is very clear easy to understand (I have clicked the thank button).

Question: Just want to confirm whether this root method only applied to wifi only tab or applied to all wifi and 3G tab and with different version.

djR3Z
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 613

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdejong11129 View Post
1,000,000 points for not hosting your files on one of the uber-annoying file hosting sites. I used your video to root my EVO phone as well, have been waiting for your guide for the 10.1. great job....
Haha yeah I hate that too, which is why I will always host files myself. But thanks a lot man, I really appreciate the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongck7 View Post
Thanks for the detail root instruction, it is very clear easy to understand (I have clicked the thank button).

Question: Just want to confirm whether this root method only applied to wifi only tab or applied to all wifi and 3G tab and with different version.
Unfortunately this is just for the Wifi only version. I could probably make a written guide for the others, but I don't have the devices to support that. Sorry dude.
DONATE if my guides, tutorials, or reviews helped you!

Guides:
How to Root the EVO 4G LTE |
How to Root the Galaxy Nexus |
How to Root the EVO 3D | Best EVO 3D ROMs
How to Root the Galaxy Tab 10.1 |
Best Android Apps |

Devices I Support: TF700T, SGS3, One X, EVO 4G LTE, gTab 10.1, Galaxy Nexus, EVO 3D, EVO 4G, CDMA Hero
The Following User Says Thank You to djR3Z For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MagicOnline
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Moderator, please make this sticky !!!

Thx.
LG G3
ROM: Stock 4.4.2
Kernel:

OnePlus One
ROM: Stock 4.4.4 CM11S
Kernel:

Google Nexus 7
ROM: Stock 4.4.4 (Rooted)
Kernel:

djR3Z
Old
Thanks Meter 613

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicOnline View Post
Moderator, please make this sticky !!!

Thx.
Ohhh, that'd be nice Hopefully I can get my hands on a 3G and 4G version. Someone PM'd me that this worked on their 3G but their gtab is now unlocked so hopefully I can figure that out blind :P

Guides:
Best Android Apps |

Devices I Support: TF700T, SGS3, One X, EVO 4G LTE, gTab 10.1, Galaxy Nexus, EVO 3D, EVO 4G, CDMA Hero

Yet Again
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Sticky this thread!

jobless
Old
(Last edited by jobless; 1st September 2011 at 06:51 AM.) Reason: UPDATED with fix
Thanks Meter 1
Default Boot loop and no recovery mode ability

Sorry in advance for the long thread.

Great documentation. I hope you can help me. I posted the below at the stickied root thread but I haven't received any responses. It seems I blew away recovery mode. My tablet consistently boot loops. I have the option to choose recovery but when selected the screen goes blank for several seconds then reboots. I can get into download mode but my PC doesn't recognize the hardware and will not install the proper Samsung drivers. After reading your thread I'm wondering if this is because I didn't set debugging mode properly.

"Hi all I need some help. Verizon LTE 10.1 tab is boot looping after attempting bone head maneuver. Attempted root per Lorddeff07's method. Installed recovery file, system rebooted. Installed kernel file, system rebooted. Installed clockwork mod premium from market. Installed clockwork mod recovery for galaxy tab. Initiated backup via cwm, system rebooted and started boot looping. I can get into downloading mode but when I try to access recovery mode the tablet starts to boot loop.

I tried odin but the USB drivers are not installing properly. If I force the driver to install as Samsung ADB the tablet will display "start odin" when in downloading mode. However the odin app does not recognize the tablet. I'm running W7 pro Sp1 x64.

I also tried to use nvflash per shep211's tutorial but that didn't work. I get to section 2 step 17 when the command fails and the tablet will disconnect from the PC.

I know there has to be a way to fix my fUP. can anyone asist?"

FIXED: Removed the Verizon SIM card. Booted into download mode. Manually added the unrecognized driver as Samsung Mobile USB Serial Port. Opened odin flashed the ltecwm.tar.md5 file. Rebooted. All is good. Rebooted into recovery and installed root using Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip. Everything is up and running.

thedefectkid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you so much nice eay guide just rooted my tab thanks to you!!1 I pass you a beer sir

djR3Z
Old
Thanks Meter 613

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobless View Post
Sorry in advance for the long thread.

Great documentation. I hope you can help me. I posted the below at the stickied root thread but I haven't received any responses. It seems I blew away recovery mode. My tablet consistently boot loops. I have the option to choose recovery but when selected the screen goes blank for several seconds then reboots. I can get into download mode but my PC doesn't recognize the hardware and will not install the proper Samsung drivers. After reading your thread I'm wondering if this is because I didn't set debugging mode properly.

"Hi all I need some help. Verizon LTE 10.1 tab is boot looping after attempting bone head maneuver. Attempted root per Lorddeff07's method. Installed recovery file, system rebooted. Installed kernel file, system rebooted. Installed clockwork mod premium from market. Installed clockwork mod recovery for galaxy tab. Initiated backup via cwm, system rebooted and started boot looping. I can get into downloading mode but when I try to access recovery mode the tablet starts to boot loop.

I tried odin but the USB drivers are not installing properly. If I force the driver to install as Samsung ADB the tablet will display "start odin" when in downloading mode. However the odin app does not recognize the tablet. I'm running W7 pro Sp1 x64.

I also tried to use nvflash per shep211's tutorial but that didn't work. I get to section 2 step 17 when the command fails and the tablet will disconnect from the PC.

I know there has to be a way to fix my fUP. can anyone asist?"

FIXED: Removed the Verizon SIM card. Booted into download mode. Manually added the unrecognized driver as Samsung Mobile USB Serial Port. Opened odin flashed the ltecwm.tar.md5 file. Rebooted. All is good. Rebooted into recovery and installed root using Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip. Everything is up and running.
Glad you got it fixed! Did you use the Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip in my pack or from the LTE section in lord's thread?

Guides:
Best Android Apps |

jobless
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I used the Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_10.1_root.zip that you provided.