Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,083 Members 51,671 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is there a way to ....

Tip us?

shawayne21
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by runcool View Post
SMS Backup & Restore by Ritesh Sahu
However, professionally speaking... a text message IS NOT EVIDENCE! Any of you idiots that think it is, then you're F**king stuipd! Anyone can pick up a phone and send a message. You can not prove that the person really sent the messages. Hell, the other issue with it is that if you printed out. you'll likely forget to put ALL the text messages in. I find people like you stupid and people like you should be beat up many times until you're either in a hospital or worse.

THEREFORE LEGALLY A TEXT MESSAGE CAN NOT BE USED IN COURT. If the judge is smart, he will tell you the same.
If emails are used for evidence im pretty sure texts are as well ...
Current Device: AT&T HTC One X
ROM: CleanROM JL Beta 1
Kernel: Stock

yamaford
Old
Thanks Meter 53
The most legit way would be to get them from sprint but you have to do some paperwork for that. Don't ask me how I know. Lol

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

waterbound
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by runcool View Post
SMS Backup & Restore by Ritesh Sahu
However, professionally speaking... a text message IS NOT EVIDENCE! Any of you idiots that think it is, then you're F**king stuipd! Anyone can pick up a phone and send a message. You can not prove that the person really sent the messages. Hell, the other issue with it is that if you printed out. you'll likely forget to put ALL the text messages in. I find people like you stupid and people like you should be beat up many times until you're either in a hospital or worse.

THEREFORE LEGALLY A TEXT MESSAGE CAN NOT BE USED IN COURT. If the judge is smart, he will tell you the same.
You are wrong. Period.
Text messages, emails and ANY form of communications CAN and HAVE BEEN admissible for years. Prosecutors usually subpoena the cellphone service provider as well when necessary. Depending on your local and state laws, the government may even be able to subpoena a person's cellphone records without informing the owner of the account.

PART of what you said is correct, you can't prove the actual person was the source of the communications but that isn't your problem. The judge / prosecuting office will consider all forms of admissible evidence. The prosecuting office will look for patterns for harassment cases and documenting texts and related communications will be required almost immediately.

In your case, Backup SMS works great for many in similar situations. Backup to your gmail account and document/print from there. Good luck!
Phone: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Hardware: 0003
HBoot: 1.12
Baseband: Always the latest
Recovery: TWRP 2.3.3.0
Kernel: Anything stable for JB ROMS
ROM: Currently CM10.1 or any 4.2 variant
Battery: Stock
[B]SD: Kingston 16GB Class 10