Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,911 Members 49,262 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] root and unbrick [UPDATED 6/14/2013]

Tip us?

psouza4
Old
(Last edited by psouza4; 14th June 2013 at 05:52 PM.) Reason: Updated app to 1.09, updated links
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 165

DONATE TO ME
Post [Guide] root and unbrick [UPDATED 6/14/2013]

This is an updated (and short) version of my guide for rooting and/or unbricking your DROID 3. This method works on Motorola phones running Android OS 2.3.4 or earlier. If you have a version of MotoBlur/Android on your DROID 3 that isn't compatible with this version, you can use the unbrick method to return your DROID 3 to MotoBlur 5.6.890 Verizon OTA first.

All instructions and downloads are linked from my website at:
www.psouza4.com/DROID3

UPDATE 9/1/2011 1.03: completely re-written, includes one-click root and unroot for practically all Motorola Gingerbread devices, /system/app fix & restore, and ADB temp root. DROID 3 fixes work for build 5.5.959 (stock) and 5.6.890 (late August OTA update).

UPDATE 9/8/2011 1.05: lots of logic testing for fixing bad root attempts/root carry-over's for DROID X, DROID 2 Global, and other devices. Some messages were made clearer, and unrooting is now open to other devices (/system/app restore optional).

UPDATE 7/8/2012 1.08: new links for the system restore features

UPDATE 6/14/2013 1.09: guide re-written, files re-uploaded, everything should be working again (I removed /system/app restore feature since it wasn't reliable and now unnecessary with unbrick/restore methods)
Helio Ocean -> HTC Touch Pro -> Motorola Droid -> Motorola Droid X2 -> Motorola Droid 3 -> HTC Rezound -> Samsung Galaxy Nexus -> Samsung Galaxy Note II -> Samsung Galaxy Note III
The Following 59 Users Say Thank You to psouza4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nosaturn
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks! That was dead easy and i'm happy that i still have root after rebooting a couple of times.
I assume that if i do a factory wipe, I will have to use this root method again, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to nosaturn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

psouza4
Old
Thanks Meter 165

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaturn View Post
Thanks! That was dead easy and i'm happy that i still have root after rebooting a couple of times.
I assume that if i do a factory wipe, I will have to use this root method again, right?
No, you will lose superuser.apk which can be re-installed from the market as it is wiped when the /data partition is formatted, but su and busybox are installed in /system/xbin and will not be removed during a factory reset, so it will survive a factory reset (but you will just need to reinstall superuser).
Helio Ocean -> HTC Touch Pro -> Motorola Droid -> Motorola Droid X2 -> Motorola Droid 3 -> HTC Rezound -> Samsung Galaxy Nexus -> Samsung Galaxy Note II -> Samsung Galaxy Note III

nosaturn
Old
Thanks Meter 3
oki doki.... i saw another thread on unrooting the phone and if i have to exchange it, i'll experiment there

psouza4
Old
Thanks Meter 165

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaturn View Post
oki doki.... i saw another thread on unrooting the phone and if i have to exchange it, i'll experiment there
I'm in the process of writing a one-click unroot for Droid 3.
The Following User Says Thank You to psouza4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DoubleYouPee
Old
Thanks Meter 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouza4 View Post
nvm didnt read

slow88lx
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouza4 View Post
Awesome!!!

deyna
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Woot for root!

spacecasespiff
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Thank you

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

NyghtGT
Old
Thanks Meter 32

DONATE TO ME
So freaking stoked to try this tomorrow.

My Droid 3 is in Tennessee and i'm too damn hyped...i've contemplated driving to go get it, DAMN!

@psouza4, is this a script made by you? I make websites and fancy stuff like that and i'm steadily compiling all my information on the Evo into web format and would be interested in including this method with my Droid 3 page in the works at your request.
Nyght
iPhone User / Android Developer

Tags
bloat, droid 3, guide, root