FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Turn Your Camera Into a Live Puzzle Game

The classic sliding puzzle game hasnt changed much, if at all, over the years. Dating all the way … more

Samsung Begins Production of 8 Gb RAM Chips

With the release of Android 5.0, our favorite mobile operating system has become 64-bit ready. … more

CM, Micromax and OnePlus – Sales Ban Lifted

It’s less than a week since our recent in-depth analysis of the legal battle over the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Atrix 4g Headphone Audio Jack Fix

OP slowjett

6th April 2012, 04:32 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 1

21 posts
That was my problem too! Just stopped working today and I was just going out for my run.. quick search found this thread.

Used a paper clip and got a HUGE piece of lint out! Reps!
21st April 2012, 04:31 PM   |  #12  
Flag Little Falls
Thanks Meter: 0

43 posts
More
My Bluetooth headset sounds fine, but when I have something plugged into my Atrix's headphone jack it clicks and pops. It does recognize that something is plugged into the headphone jack though. I looked and there isn't lint or anything in the jack. Is there a chance I could have some mild corrosion?
24th April 2012, 09:54 PM   |  #13  

1 posts
Thanks jaymondus & slowjett. I thought my phone had a hardware issue and had to be taken for service. Thankfully, the lint was the problem in my case too. I easily removed it using a long pin. After this, I also carefully used a vaccum cleaner to remove any left over tiny lint traces inside the heaphone port.
20th February 2013, 08:13 AM   |  #14  
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 2

5 posts
More
Thumbs up Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymondus

Contributing my own experience, since this thread popped up when I was searching for help. My Atrix 4g headphone jack stopped working completely 2 days ago. I tried 3 different sets of headphones (all confirmed to be working on other devices) to no avail. I even uninstalled some recently updated apps like TuneIn Radio Pro to no avail.

So, after reading this thread and confirming the phone is not recognizing the jack being plugged, I concluded that it is a physical obstruction. With a flashlight I carefully (one eye shut) peeked around the headphone jack hole itself. I could see there was some lint in there at the very bottom. Next I took a hairpin, using pliers, created a tiny "L" at the end of it...ya you know where this is going.... Went fishing at the bottom of the hole and ever so gently removed a STRIP OF LINT!! It was about 1/4 inch long, but guess what? After removal and trying headphones EUREKA, success! The headphones are working as expected.

Just offering this as another root cause for headphone jack not working. Be aware of lint! And don't mess up your phone by fishing too hard in there

I did this, and found an obscene amount of lint. Thanks, so much!
21st February 2013, 07:05 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 9

53 posts
yup, did this fix and it worked perfectly. thanks for the heads up. also, bending the clips a bit helps as well.
1st April 2013, 05:45 PM   |  #16  

2 posts
Thanks for the help, unfortunately I wasn't able to get the headphone jack working on my atrix. I think my problem is slightly different though, I dropped the phone with headphones in and it landed right on the top such that it pushed the headphones even further down into the jack. Ever since then it only detects the headphones if I push on them and hold them down, as soon as I let go it goes back to playing through speakers.

I guess I'll just have to live with not being able to use headphones until I get a new phone
1st April 2013, 06:10 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 1,330

2,175 posts
Donate to Me
This is exactly why the headphone jack is not actually soldered to the MBO. First, it is much more likely to spare the MBO any damage, and second, makes for very easy replacement, to the point where you can just order the new part and do it at home.
2nd April 2013, 02:47 AM   |  #18  
Flag Tulsa
Thanks Meter: 25

280 posts
More
Re: Atrix 4g Headphone Audio Jack Fix
The headphone jack itself is a separate part that is held in place with some adhesive tape. If you disassemble as in the op and pull it out you can easily replace it. I swapped mine out in about 5 minutes the other day.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium
2nd April 2013, 05:06 AM   |  #19  

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatphreek

The headphone jack itself is a separate part that is held in place with some adhesive tape. If you disassemble as in the op and pull it out you can easily replace it. I swapped mine out in about 5 minutes the other day.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

Good to know, I guess I'll find somewhere to order a new jack from then.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread