Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,870 Members 50,689 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Root] Universal Xoom Root - ANY XOOM ANY UPDATE

Tip us?

nivlheim_o_O?
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Will this root method wipe the data (user & programs) of my Xoom (currently on the 4.0.3 OTA) ?

AchillesGr
Old
Thanks Meter 4
worked for me!!!
thanks

stiflingcobra
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivlheim_o_O? View Post
Will this root method wipe the data (user & programs) of my Xoom (currently on the 4.0.3 OTA) ?
When i rooted my 4.0.3 my Xoom was already unlocked so I only had to flash recovery and root files. This did not wipe the device.

However I belive the unlock process will wipe it though but someoe willl confirm that...

Craxx
Old
Thanks Meter 251
...only unlocking the xoom or a factory reset wipes all.

Craxx

Send from my MZ601 eos ICS with Tapatalk
best regards
Craxx

Nexus 4
LG O2x P990
XOOM Mz601
Huawei Ideos X3

cat2115
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxx View Post
...only unlocking the xoom or a factory reset wipes all.

Craxx
Will this is also wipe/delete all apps folder that I installed from the market? currently i'm on [ROM][Nightly][ICS] Team Eos WiFi Nightlies (Wingray/MZ604). I would like to start fresh so that no other folders in it besides ICS Rom.

ValenteL
Old
Thanks Meter 825
How about windows drivers to connect the Xoom to a pc?

Sorry if there is a answer before yet.

Thank You

Craxx
Old
Thanks Meter 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat2115 View Post
Will this is also wipe/delete all apps folder that I installed from the market? currently i'm on [ROM][Nightly][ICS] Team Eos WiFi Nightlies (Wingray/MZ604). I would like to start fresh so that no other folders in it besides ICS Rom.
Yes factory reset and unlocking wipes all. But you have also format your sd and then it is clean:)

Craxx

best regards
Craxx

Nexus 4
LG O2x P990
XOOM Mz601
Huawei Ideos X3
The Following User Says Thank You to Craxx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Soundbombing
Old
Thanks Meter 5
best way to setup adeb and fastboot:
http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/moto...platforms.html

NooRotic
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarnz View Post
Universal Xoom Root

Thats right, this method will work for any xoom on any update - Including future updates!!!

Note: Unlike the similar method floating around on here, this also gives you an unsecured boot image.

-- Please Note: this thread is still a work in process and has been sped up by the arrival of the 4g Xooms --

Current requirements: adb & fastboot have been setup and you have an external sdcard for your xoom.

1. Setting up adb & fastboot
Coming Soon! (If you want to write this section for me and pm me it, thats fine !)

2. Downloading the rooting-update zip file.
Download the zip file from here.
Now place this on your external sdcard. - Sorry this is a requirement at the moment, like I said this is a bit rushed.
3. Flashing recovery
1. Download this Recovery image.
2. If your device is locked, now is a good time to unlock it.
Code:
Select Code
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot reboot
3. Flash recovery
Code:
Select Code
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery-Tiamat-R4c-100611-1150-cwm.img
Once you have verification on your device that this has been flashed, reboot your device by holding volume up + power.
Then 3 seconds after you see the Motorola logo, hit volume down. You should now see "Android Recovery" in the top left corner. Hit volume up to boot into recovery.

4. Flashing the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file.
If you're in clockwork mod recovery you can continue (This recovery image will say it is clockwork mod) . If you're not looking at clockwork mod, then you need to repeat step 3 again.

In cwm, go into "install zip from sdcard" -> "Choose zip from sdcard", then select the Xoom-Universal-Root.zip file you downloaded.
Note: use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select

Reboot your device and then welcome to your rooted device!

Downloads
Universal Xoom root - version 1.0
Confirmed on upgraded new 4G Xoom: came back from moto with locked bootloader, HC 3.2.6. All steps followed and no issues encountered. Many Thanks and Long Live Team Tiamat / Team EOS *throws fist into the air*

now which yummy ROM to install *rubs hands*

kfdorman
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I am new to rooting etc, and have followed all of your steps, however I am now stuck with the M logo and the DUAL CORE TECHNOLOGY badge central screen.

My Xoom is a UK 3G Xoom, MZ601. I successfully unlocked the bootloader, connected with adb, then flashed the recovery-tiamat-r4c-100611-1150-cwm image.

I also successfully entered recovery mode and chose to install the xoom-universal-root.zip file I downloaded from this post.

Now I always get stuck at the M logo when trying to boot. It will still boot into recovery mode if you can give me some help as to what I should do from here.

Thanks

karl