Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,547 Members 43,358 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV] Kernel Editing/HTC PUCCINI ROM DEVELOPMENT

Tip us?

jcarrz1
Old
(Last edited by jcarrz1; 11th September 2011 at 10:43 PM.) Reason: pics
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1428
Default [DEV] Kernel Editing/HTC PUCCINI ROM DEVELOPMENT

UPDATE, LOOKS LIKE IT'S GOING TO BE (ALMOST) IMPOSSIBLE TO PORT ENTIRE ROM, LOOKING INTO BITS AND PIECES THAT CAN BE PULLED.
here's the leak, for those who want it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1240772

My progress. My kernel won't boot. I changed the bootclasspath and added some things to the init.rc, but it won't work, rebooting BEFORE THE CAMERA CLICK. If i flash clemsyn 3.1 v18 on top, the camera clicks, but it still reboots.

No logcat.

Anyone have any ideas? obviously it's not just the kernel, but the rom. I deleted stuff from the rom to fit onto the transformer, and hopefully I didn't mess it up. But i'm good at cramming **** onto the G1 and generally know what to use.

My kernel is based on prime 1.6. This is a 3.1 rom. I edited the bootclasspath and changed default.prop according to the puccini boot.img. both extracted perfectly, and my new kernel packaged up all nice. It, however, does not boot.

Any ideas are welcome. There wasn't a bootloader update in 3.2 or something that would prevent booting a 3.1 rom? food for thought.

If anyone wants me to upload my work so far, let me know.

Thanks for your input,
jcarrz1

p.s. the only part I wasn't sure about was the mkbootimg options, based on what RaYmaN said in another thread, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1121379 I followed his advice to omit cmdline option. I think that's the correct way, anyone else interpret differently?

Rayman's tools were the heart of this effort, thanks a bunch. Also to Roach2010 for a solid 3.1 base.

Jcarrz1

Teaser

Thank me for my efforts
HTC Sensation z710a
T-Mobile G1 on AT&T US (retired)
Asus Transformer TF101-A1

.............................................Click "Thanks" if I helped..........................................
PM me if you have questions.
The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to jcarrz1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ultimaex
Old
(Last edited by Ultimaex; 1st September 2011 at 07:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 19
Isn't HTC using a Qualcomm soc? That could mean they are using a different instruction set which cause the reboot.

could be the reason why they got it booting on the flyer and we don't have success on tegra devices
Let's see if someone else with a tegra device is successful and gets it booting.

Edit: sometimes I should read more carefully. If your kernel doesn't boot there is something really strange going on. Can't you flash stock 3.1, replace the boot loader and try your port again?

Jhinta
Old
Thanks Meter 255

DONATE TO ME
missing some info about the images your using ..
you have build the kernel , oke but witch ramdisk did you used?
witch kernel did you used ?
kernel config file?

gnufabio
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3531

DONATE TO ME
Is it a 3.1 or a 3.2 rom?
Quote:
Information Technology MUST be human. What does it mean? It means that the resources it produces must be available for everyone for free. #opensource

lilstevie
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1020

DONATE TO ME
one word, NEON

mskip
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 13633

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnufabio View Post
Is it a 3.1 or a 3.2 rom?
The OP said in the first post that it is a 3.1 Rom

Mark.

lilstevie
Old
Thanks Meter 1020

DONATE TO ME
The following is from surfaceflinger
Code:
Attribute Section: aeabi
File Attributes
Tag_CPU_name: "ARM v7"
Tag_CPU_arch: v7
Tag_CPU_arch_profile: Application
Tag_ARM_ISA_use: Yes
Tag_THUMB_ISA_use: Thumb-2
Tag_VFP_arch: VFPv3
Tag_NEON_arch: NEONv1
Tag_ABI_PCS_wchar_t: 4
Tag_ABI_FP_denormal: Needed
Tag_ABI_FP_exceptions: Needed
Tag_ABI_FP_number_model: IEEE 754
Tag_ABI_align8_needed: Yes
Tag_ABI_enum_size: int
Tag_ABI_HardFP_use: SP and DP
In short the puccini rom will never run on a Tegra2 device, ANY Tegra2 device, as the Tegra2 SoC lacks NEON support

fonix232
Old
Thanks Meter 363

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie View Post
The following is from surfaceflinger
Code:
Attribute Section: aeabi
File Attributes
Tag_CPU_name: "ARM v7"
Tag_CPU_arch: v7
Tag_CPU_arch_profile: Application
Tag_ARM_ISA_use: Yes
Tag_THUMB_ISA_use: Thumb-2
Tag_VFP_arch: VFPv3
Tag_NEON_arch: NEONv1
Tag_ABI_PCS_wchar_t: 4
Tag_ABI_FP_denormal: Needed
Tag_ABI_FP_exceptions: Needed
Tag_ABI_FP_number_model: IEEE 754
Tag_ABI_align8_needed: Yes
Tag_ABI_enum_size: int
Tag_ABI_HardFP_use: SP and DP
In short the puccini rom will never run on a Tegra2 device, ANY Tegra2 device, as the Tegra2 SoC lacks NEON support

Yup. Although if you swap the surfaceflinger to a Tegra2 generic one, it *should* work.

I'm sure that the kernel will NEVER boot on our device, as it's for Qualcomm platform, not Tegra2. But the ROM itself worth playing around, mostly if we can get the nice Launcher with themes.
If you like my work, invite me for a drink or two!

Devices:
  • Alcatel OT-995
  • Nokia Lumia 520

lilstevie
Old
Thanks Meter 1020

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonix232 View Post
Yup. Although if you swap the surfaceflinger to a Tegra2 generic one, it *should* work.

I'm sure that the kernel will NEVER boot on our device, as it's for Qualcomm platform, not Tegra2. But the ROM itself worth playing around, mostly if we can get the nice Launcher with themes.
yes, you could swap the flinger, but you still have the problem of everything else,

the point of that was not that just this one binary, but the whole rom, that also means the launcher and everything use NEON.

Also the kernel not running is a given, that is hw specific. My point is the ROM itself will not run

jcarrz1
Old
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1428
Thanks everybody for your advice. I stupidly assumed that "oh look it's a 1280x800 honeycomb tablet" lets port the software.

However, my kernel question persists; what did I do wrong? is it right to use mkbootimg in the way I did?

Thanks everyone.
HTC Sensation z710a
T-Mobile G1 on AT&T US (retired)
Asus Transformer TF101-A1

.............................................Click "Thanks" if I helped..........................................
PM me if you have questions.

The Following User Says Thank You to jcarrz1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]