[GUIDE] Unicode fonts on TouchPad for Vietnamese languages
Hello everyone. I'm a new TouchPad owner here, and a new member of precentral as well
Having the TouchPad so far has been a great exerience, but I was a little ticked off that I could not read anything in Vietnamese when I come across websites such as yahoo.vn or vnexpress.net. Even youtube search in Vietnamese do not appear correctly, all I see is square box
So I begin to dig around the net and found that HP decide to get rid of Unicode in all their fonts!
Luckily I found this Vietnamese website who was very informative on finding how to add Unicode fonts to the TouchPad but was missing key fonts here and there, and applications wasn't working correctly without "stock" fonts. So without further adieu, here are the instructions to adding unicode fonts to your TouchPad! I believe these will only work for non-character asian sites, beside chinese.
1. Make sure your TouchPad has enough battery life, greater than 50%. Plug your TP into your computer or laptop, and set to USB mode.
2. Download this Unicode Fonts
, and extract it as is to your TP drive on the computer. Note: Again extract as is directly to the HP TouchPad drive in your computer, not any other folder.
3. Disconnect USB mode by safely remove hardware, but leave the wire still connected. Turn on Developer Mode on your TP, and open WeOSQuickInstall.jar. You should know how to do this already, if not read up on it before proceeding!
4. Click on Tools, then Linux Commandline. Copy this command without quotes "mount -o remount,rw /" and paste to the window that appeared after you click on Linux Commandline, then hit enter on your laptop or pc. Do not do CTRL+V for paste as it will not work, you have to physically right click and select paste!
5. Copy this command without quotes "cp media/internal/HPbackupunicodefonts/*.* usr/share/fonts", and hit enter on your laptop or pc. Again, do not do CTRL+V, as I know a lot of people would love to do just that.
Wait a few seconds until it finish and you see two lines displaying "root@........" Then you're done.
6. Remove the usb cord from your TP, clear cache out from your browser on your TouchPad (you should know how to do this already too, if not search here or google
) Reboot your TP completely, not luna restart, but complete restart it.
Mod please make this a sticky as I think it's necessary because this took me quite a few days of trial and error to find out what fonts were needed, and to have all games/apps to work! If anyone can, please spread this news out to your fellow friends and websites but please do not take sole credit for it.