Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,888 Members 52,759 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Galaxy S noob here.

Tip us?

RiKKu28
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Unhappy [Q] Samsung Galaxy S noob here.

Hey all,

So basically I just bought my first android phone couple of weeks ago. Its the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 running 2.33 Firmware.
It is not yet rooted (have read some articles found in these forum found them really helpful)
but I'm not gonna root it for now I think cause this is my first android phone Im still a noob (used to apple)

Now my problem is I will be going abroad in 2 weeks and could really use the GPS.Tried donwloading GPS Status but i never actually got a lock on the satelites (or it took too long that I gave up) I also tried the fix but the code (but when dialing *#*#1472365#*#* nothing happened lol)

I also downloaded loads of GPS software such as AndNav2,Wisepilot,Navigon,CoPilot,Sycig but 90% of those gave me an error when I try them such as this software cannot be started on your device.

Is there any good GPS software/app which does not require an internet connection (pls not offline maps but like turn by turn app or similar.)

Thanks a lot.

Nitro_123
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Personally i use Copilot live 8
maybe you could flash the phone to a clean stock ROM and then try again ??
Good Luck!!

RiKKu28
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
So I finally managed to fix it and get a fix on the satellites
Now my last problem is, I need a good turn by turn app that does not use internet (except maybe for downloading maps first time etc.)

Thanks.

RiKKu28
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Hmm anyone?

sencafe
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I'm using Navigon. You need an internet connection to download the maps. Following that, there is an option to turn off internet connection. Go to Menu>Settings - second option from the top.

shinkid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
in my personal experience... you need to learn how to root, flash firmware, etc...
i'm also a noob and used to apple devices..
before my galaxy s get great firmware (thx xda-dev), i miss my iphone so much...
but after flashed with great firmware, everything working great, nice apps.. and so on,
also a great benefit for me, i know how to do those things... and i can say bye2 for my apple devices now.. even one great iphone 5 wont help me back to apple
just PM me if you need anyhelp
hope you enjoy your sgs as much as i do...

RiKKu28
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinkid View Post
in my personal experience... you need to learn how to root, flash firmware, etc...
i'm also a noob and used to apple devices..
before my galaxy s get great firmware (thx xda-dev), i miss my iphone so much...
but after flashed with great firmware, everything working great, nice apps.. and so on,
also a great benefit for me, i know how to do those things... and i can say bye2 for my apple devices now.. even one great iphone 5 wont help me back to apple
just PM me if you need anyhelp
hope you enjoy your sgs as much as i do...
Actually Im used to apple too and my phone was jailbroken too so I will root this one soon probably too. but yeah I could use some help

RiKKu28
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
So I downloaded Navigon and connected to my pc, installed maps used for couple of sec it was great app I have to say but then I started to crash on me every time ;(((

RiKKu28
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiKKu28 View Post
So I downloaded Navigon and connected to my pc, installed maps used for couple of sec it was great app I have to say but then I started to crash on me every time ;(((
exact error here:

The application Navigon (process.com.navigon.navigtor_checkout_eu40) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again later.

All I can do is choose force close.