5,599,977 Members 45,826 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best Looking / Strongest / Most Protective cases?

Tip us?

erebusting
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Best Looking / Strongest / Most Protective cases?

I dropped my first DVP and am awaiting an replacement...(the screen shattered)...
so I am paranoid of this happening again and I would like a case which protects the screen pretty well (in one way or another) and I have had trouble finding any cases except 1 or two types and leather pouches or holsters...
I don't believe a screen protector would protect it against cracks very well...
any options?

Retired / Sold / Returned

Dell Venue Pro
Black HTC Glacier/ MyTouch 4G
iPhone 2G UL & JB
Cingular 8125
Nexus One -Stock ROM
Tmobile USA HTC HD2 -Duttys HG v2

For Sale / Trade:
Sidekick II, Sidekick III, Sony Ericsson w810i, BB Bold 9700, White G1, HD7
(PM me your offers, Thanks =) )

hipzilla
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I haven't seen any bumpers or other common phone accessories for the DVP (I don't think we even have official car chargers yet). I feel like this phones lack of popularity (adoption by major carriers) and portrait-slider form factor is going to continue hurting our accessory selection.

I think your only real choice for drop protection is the Otterbox.

erebusting
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
what about those pdair cases:
http://www.pdair.com/catalog/product...ducts_id=31668
http://www.pdair.com/catalog/product...ducts_id=32233
http://www.pdair.com/catalog/product...ducts_id=31671

or monoco cases:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MONACO-ALUMINUM-...item5d2e23dcba

IDK...I noticed some of them are the type where they have a type of latch on one side (so they basically open up like a book kind of)... I dont know if that would be a pro or con since I have never used such a case..

edit:
I think the 'monoco' case is the same thing as one of the pdair's above...

Dell Venue Pro
iPhone 2G UL & JB
Cingular 8125
Nexus One -Stock ROM

For Sale / Trade:

eXtermia
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I like my otterbox from dell. It protects the edges where the gorrilla glass is the most vulnerable. Plus I find that the silicon buttons for volume and camera are much more tactile when using compared to the standard button. IT does add some bulk but it reall covers almost everything you can think of.

hipzilla
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXtermia View Post
I like my otterbox from dell. It protects the edges where the gorrilla glass is the most vulnerable. Plus I find that the silicon buttons for volume and camera are much more tactile when using compared to the standard button. IT does add some bulk but it reall covers almost everything you can think of.
Would you mind posting some pics of it?

erebusting
Old
(Last edited by erebusting; 14th April 2011 at 08:22 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Is there a way to use a Dell Venue case?... maybe get two silicone / tpu type (or any actually) cases for a dell venue, maybe cut each half way down the side giving one slack on one side and the other slack on the other to make two pieces -one for your screen and the other for the back / keyboard section... ? idk just a quick idea haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXtermia View Post
does it at a lot of bulk? like do you have any phone you can compare it to (size wise) when it has the case on ? (i.e. it is about the thickness of a g1.. or something along those lines...)

I am still worried about the screen somewhat, the piece that covers the screen -does it have any silicone type backing? I think I saw one of those pdair cases or something which had a silicone backed front plate (if that is what you would call it? lol)

Dell Venue Pro
iPhone 2G UL & JB
Cingular 8125
Nexus One -Stock ROM

For Sale / Trade:

erebusting
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
anyone got any insight?

Dell Venue Pro
iPhone 2G UL & JB
Cingular 8125
Nexus One -Stock ROM

For Sale / Trade:

deepz
Old
(Last edited by deepz; 18th May 2011 at 02:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
hey, i bought the dell venue pro otterbox, let me tell u whats cool about it other than the fact that it has a dell logo in the back..after putting it on the phone...the phone now feels like military tank...feels great..and looks safe....but there might be a few issues....first of all...if u manage to drop ur tank, the front cover just hits the ground comes off and flies away...so the screen is still exposed after the first hit..and other problem i noticed was that the beautiful design behind the screen (once u slide it up) is getting a little abraded.
thats about it....
on the whole a good case, i'd say..

Thunder_47
Old
Thanks Meter 6
When I bought my Venue, it came with an Otterbox. The otterbox had an Invisible Shield screen protector that came with the package (silicon, hard shell), and the phone, while being a bit more bulky, is protected from almost everything now. The only problem is that the otterboxes are a pain to get off when you put it on.

Theycallme Tim
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is there a silicone skin that can be used on the DVP? I just want something that will protect the back half. Also, ideally, would like to see something that's not so slick. ... Something that won't slide around in the car ifI hit the brakes a bit too hard.