No registration required

no 4g love in virginia

OP queva1

27th October 2011, 04:35 AM   |  #61  
OP Member
Flag Lynchburg, VA
Thanks Meter: 2

40 posts
Sweet....I love having 4g when I'm out of town....to have it at home will be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingwhite

The Verizon retail store employees in Lynchburg are being told January 2012 for LTE deployment in the area.

Sent from my Thunderstick using Xda App
27th October 2011, 06:41 AM   |  #62  
Thanks Meter: 37

724 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingwhite

The Verizon retail store employees in Lynchburg are being told January 2012 for LTE deployment in the area.

I didn't think anyone from Lynchburg knew about xda besides me.

Sent from my Incredible 2 HD using XDA App
27th October 2011, 02:15 PM   |  #63  
Thanks Meter: 38

297 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman99393

I didn't think anyone from Lynchburg knew about xda besides me.

Sent from my Incredible 2 HD using XDA App

lol. There are a few of us out there....
14th February 2012, 01:54 AM   |  #64  
OP Member
Flag Lynchburg, VA

40 posts
Still no 4g in Lynchburg.... Anyone have any news on it?

14th February 2012, 02:15 AM   |  #65  

297 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queva1

Still no 4g in Lynchburg.... Anyone have any news on it?

Yeah, I have heard some updated rumblings in the past few weeks. The newest word from multiple sources is earliest of end of February, latest of sometime in April.

From what I am hearing, my guess would be March, but closer to April. Those of you with Verizon 4G phones in Lynchburg should be checking daily to see if you can catch them testing it.

Verizon hasn't been very transparent with 2012 LTE launches up to this point, so I am hoping for a big announcement or series of announcements soon. Maybe we will hear more as we get closer to MWC.
16th February 2012, 05:08 AM   |  #66  
Thanks Meter: 0

38 posts
Got 4G in newport news since october

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
23rd February 2012, 03:57 PM   |  #67  
Lynchburg VA
Thanks Meter: 79

285 posts
The Snowflex has 4g. I haven't checked out Liberty's campus yet. I went to the Snowflex back in Nov and had a 4g connection. Not sure where the tower is located.
3rd March 2012, 11:10 PM   |  #68  
OP Member
Flag Lynchburg, VA

40 posts
Interesting I'm around lu often no 4g for me sounds like I'm gonna have to take a trip up the hill to snowflex

3rd March 2012, 11:24 PM   |  #69  

297 posts
After more talk with area reps, I don't think they have any solid info on when 4G is coming to the 'burg. I was evening hearing December for a few weeks, and then most recently I have heard August/September. So I would guess that we will likely see 4G sometime in 2012, but unknown on exactly when.

From some research I have been doing, I think part of the problem may be with backhaul. Some of the sites don't have the necessary infrastructure in place yet. I even saw a crew burying fiber along Rt 29 north of Lynchburg the other day, which I was surprised to see. The other problem is that Verizon is trying to increase the height on some of their towers in the area -- which would be great. So we will just have to wait and hope for sooner rather than later.

tl:dr, 4G probably sometime in 2012, but who knows exactly when.
17th April 2012, 09:42 PM   |  #70  

297 posts
Just an update for anyone still interested. The side of the road near one of the main towers on Candlers Mountain Road has been marked for digging and burial of Verizon fiber optic cable (this is needed so the 4G LTE equipment can deliver the faster speeds and bandwidth) and leads right up to the tower. This is great news, and seems to be in agreement with the rumors of a summer/early fall deployment of Verizon LTE.

On the US Cellular front, I checked out one of their towers the other day and saw no evidence of significant infrastructure upgrade yet, despite their summer deployment time-frame. It is still possible that they could do this very quickly though.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread