OP GoodDayToDie

4th September 2011, 03:18 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,768

5,815 posts
More
Hi hackers,

Threw together something fun for you: a one-click (don't sue me, Bezos) app for enabling or disabling multitasking (no-dehydrate) on Mango. Fast app switching + full multitasking = awesome! Disabling multitasking when you need to save battery = convenient!

Credit to Jaxbot for working out the no-dehydration registry change. That's all this app is, just a convenient way to toggle that registry value.
I'm going to try to add support for more devices (Samsung Focus S and HTC phones that have lost the ability to use COMRegRW.dll).

UPDATE 1.1.1: Case sentitivity recognizing SAMSUNG now fixed, Samsung and LG confirmed!
UPDATE 1.1: Better Samsung support, possible LG support.

Features:
Secondary tile with deep linking! Shows current multitask state and toggles it when tapped.
Supports HTC, LG, Samsung phones.
HTC phones need to not have the latest HTC updates, as those break the Registry driver I used.
The latest DFT ROM works, and others that support TouchXplorer probably do too.
I'm working on a way to make it work with official ROMs as well - you can help out here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1335862
Works on Mango! Uses no homebrew DLLs.

Limitations:
No Dell/Asus/Toshiba/Nokia/etc. support yet (find me a registry function and I'll add them, though).
Doesn't work pre-Mango; it's a 7.1 app (could be downgraded pretty easily).
Requires interop-unlock.

Instructions:
Unpack ZIP file and find the XAP in MultiTaskToggle\Bin\Debug.
Install app on an interop-unlocked Mango phone.
Run app and ensure it loads the current value.
[Optional] Select the value you want; it will set immediately.
[Optional] Tap "Live Tile" button to create a tap-to-toggle secondary live tile.

This app is a simple wrapper for the OEM registry edit DLLs to make use of Jaxbot's hack. I wrote it largely just for familiarity with mango homebrew. The source is a bit of a mess right now - I took an existing homebrew library and beat it savagely until it worked on Mango, but didn't really put the pieces away neatly afterward - but it's simple enough I expect somebody else can use it for good things. Personally, I plan to make an app that allows easy general-purpose registry edits on Mango, though I still don't see any way to do registry browsing.

Thanks to XDA member MarysFetus for taking the time to do a visual overhaul of the app, with nice icons and such. It's much more artistic than my solid-color tiles with simple text! Grab the xap directly below. You can also visit the site: http://www.suicideclown.com
Thanks to XDA member singularity0821 for doing more visuals for the app, with a new (and flipping) live tile. I've included that XAP below as well.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MultiTaskToggle.zip - [Click for QR Code] (263.2 KB, 3980 views)
File Type: xap MultiTaskToggle.suicideclown.xap - [Click for QR Code] (65.6 KB, 1752 views)
File Type: xap MultiTaskToggle_flipping.xap - [Click for QR Code] (82.8 KB, 674 views)
Last edited by GoodDayToDie; 10th November 2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: More variants and HTC info update
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2011, 07:03 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 12

171 posts
Downloading to test now.

Oh. wow nice tool.Fast toggle MultiTask no need to edit registry by using touchexplorer and connection setsetup
Last edited by parnunu; 4th September 2011 at 07:12 AM.
4th September 2011, 08:43 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 956

1,692 posts
Donate to Me
Doesn´t run on OMNIA 7.

"System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMExeption (0x80070032)..."
4th September 2011, 11:17 AM   |  #4  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 85

145 posts
Donate to Me
Custom Skin
Great App,

but personally wanted to do an custom design, so I've changed color values in the MainPage.xaml file, but for some reason I am getting an error while building the xap.

Anyone knows how to fix that?

Error Code is in German.

@Moderators: delete if this necessary.
4th September 2011, 11:24 AM   |  #5  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Pacoima, CA
Thanks Meter: 265

2,401 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysFetus

Great App,

but personally wanted to do an custom design, so I've changed color values in the MainPage.xaml file, but for some reason I am getting an error while building the xap.

Error Code is in German.

Error in English;

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight for Phone\v4.0\Microsoft.Silverlight.Common.targets(249,9): error : Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Phone.InteropServices, Version=7.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=24eec0d8c86cda1e' or one of its dependencies. Strong name validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A)
Last edited by drkfngthdragnlrd; 4th September 2011 at 11:51 AM.
4th September 2011, 12:25 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 7

83 posts
Thank u very much.....

It works great in my HTC Mozart....

regards
4th September 2011, 12:53 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1,692

3,680 posts
Donate to Me
More
work on HTC HD2 Mango 7720 (BTTF)

edit:
change between Dehydrating and Multitasking with Live Tile also working
Last edited by dxdy; 4th September 2011 at 01:00 PM.
4th September 2011, 03:15 PM   |  #8  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 224

568 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysFetus

Great App,

Error Code is in German.

@Moderators: delete if this necessary.

Read: http://thounsell.co.uk/2010/11/avoid...o-the-wp7-sdk/
The Following User Says Thank You to fiinix For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2011, 03:43 PM   |  #9  
Flag Pacoima, CA
Thanks Meter: 265

2,401 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiinix

Read: http://thounsell.co.uk/2010/11/avoid...o-the-wp7-sdk/

Make sure to read the comments about using Visual Studio Command Prompt. I had to do this after copying in the dll & editing the filelist XML.
The Following User Says Thank You to drkfngthdragnlrd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2011, 05:04 PM   |  #10  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,768

5,815 posts
More
Yeah, I had to get around the Strong Name Validation too, before it would compile. People have said it shouldn't be necessary but I ran into it all the time.

Thanks for testing, folks! Let me know if you find any bugs or have feature requests.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
htc, mango, multitask, source
Previous Thread Next Thread