FX 3.0 is now available!
See next post for information on how to get current, beta, and archived versions.
(Updated 4 December 2014)
For Material Design 4.0 Beta Info and Screenshots, go to post:
This is the ongoing development thread for FX File Explorer. I greatly appreciate feature suggestions, bug reports, and general feedback!
FX intends to be an uncluttered, everyday-usable file manager for Android. The primary development goal has been to create the same level of usability, intuitiveness, and efficiency as that offered by the file manager on your desktop computer.
Local file management features of FX are free, including the root features, indexed search, cleaning tools, usage view, non-encrypted archive creation/extraction, the text editor, and all other viewers (e.g. script exec, binary viewer, image viewer). The network/cloud stuff and media-specific stuff (e.g. browsing music by album, editing playlists) is a paid add-on called "FX Plus".
The free version of FX is not a "Lite" version or some kind of watered-down demo. There is no advertising in FX. And there is no user-tracking, phoning home, or any other "doubleplusungood" stuff of any kind in FX.
Gesture Demo Video
A very short video showing some gestures used in FX:
Note: I'm using a Galaxy Nexus (i.e. late 2011) phone to record this. Modern phones not running a screen recorder in the background are smoother.
The "Home Screen" appears when you first open FX. The idea of the home screen is that you create bookmarks to the folders you actually use, rather than milling through the garbage every app places in the root folder of your SD card.
One last note regarding the free-vs-plus stuff: The features shown in the "Media" and "Internet and Network" sections are part of the "FX Plus" add-on, while everything else is free. And another note: the home-screens below have every option turned on: you can use the "View" menu to customize what is shown.
- The first image shows a default home screen.
- The second image shows the home screen configured with a translucent dark theme and view mode set to "Icon". The translucent dark theme uses your default system wallpaper (or optionally an alternate wallpaper of your choosing).
These screenshots show FX viewing a directory. The one on the left shows the default white theme, the one on the right uses a translucent theme.
Windows and Split View
FX supports multiple (unlimited) windows, with the ability to view one or two at a time.
- The first screenshot shows the window menu, which is accessible by tapping the "FX" icon in the upper left corner or sliding your finger from the left edge of the screen to the right.
- The second screenshot shows the split view mode. You can enter this mode from the window menu by tapping "Split View", or by dragging the path bar from the top of the screen downward (see gestures video above).
Root / Developer Features
FX supports root access. Root access requires an add-on, but the add-on is free.
Root access is kept entirely separate from normal file browsing, and can optionally be protected.
Developer features include:
- Root access may be secured via PIN, Password, or Warning; secured access can be enabled for viewing or only for modifications
- Remount filesystems as read/write or read-only
- Disable System Apps
- Root Usage View
- Recursive Search
- Modify permissions
- Change Ownership/Group, with Android-based design (e.g. select an app-specific user by app name; see screenshot)
- Symlink Creation (relative and absolute)
- Shell Script Execution, with support for creating launcher shortcuts to execute scripts [NR]
- Explore APK Contents [NR]
- View Android Binary XML Files in Text Viewer [NR]
- View any file in Binary Viewer [NR]
- MD5/SHA1 Checksum and Composite Checksum Calculation/Comparison (checksum directory structures, optionally with UNIX permissions, [NR])
FX includes a full-featured text editor. It can edit local text files, edit files as root, and edit files on remote hosts (with FX Plus add-on). Features include:
- Undo/Redo with History (able to undo/redo multiple times)
- Pinch-to-zoom font scaling
- Proportional and fixed fonts, word wrap can be enabled/disabled
- Optional shortcut bar can be enabled to provide arrow keys and fast access to undo/redo
- Jump to line number, beginning/ending of file
- Find text within documents
- File browsing for Open/Save As
- Enable/disable autocorrect
- Multiple color schemes
- Save/load files in different character sets
All features demonstrated above are entirely free. The Plus Add-On is the paid component of FX, and adds additional features:
- Application management: browse user, system, or all installed apps
- Browse installed apps by permission (e.g. find all apps which require GPS location or Internet access)
- (Root Access Required) View /data usage by application, disable any application
- AES-128/256 Zip Encryption/decryption; browse inside encrypted zip files/folders, view text files, images, audio and video files without ever writing decrypted version to media
- Browse all Images, browse images by folder (e.g. Camera folders on different media/SD cards)
- Browse camera Videos or all videos on device
- Browse Music by Artist, Album, Playlist, or view all music
- Browse ringtones, podcasts, notifications, and alarm sounds
- Create playlists, add albums/tracks/artists/playlists to playlists, reorder playlists via drag-and-drop
- Bluetooth FTP and Bluetooth Pairing within FX (pushing files via Bluetooth does NOT require FX Plus if your device supports it)
FX Plus adds support for the following network/cloud services:
- SMB (Windows Networking), supports network browsing
- FTP, including FTP-S and FTP-ES; browsing local network supported via mDNS
- SSH, including public key, password, and interactive authentication; browsing local network supported via mDNS
- WebDAV, including WebDAV over HTTPS; browsing local network supported via mDNS
- Google Drive
- Microsoft OneDrive
- OwnCloud (by creating a WebDAV connection)