Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,011 Members 39,049 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] R800a can not OTA update or enter fastboot, root problems? mode.

Tip us?

JDMpire
Old
(Last edited by JDMpire; 8th September 2011 at 05:49 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] R800a can not OTA update or enter fastboot, root problems? mode.

I recently purchased a R800 from someone on Craigslist. The phone is already rooted, permanantly I think since it is rooted after doing a factory restore. It is not sim locked, I believe its factory unlocked.

I tried to do the OTA update, which downloads, but fails to install. It appears to get about 3/4 of the way done, reboots and gives me an "update failed" message.

I wanted to unlock the boot loader, I got the unlock key from SE. I must of tried 10 times to get the phone to boot into fastboot mode, it NEVER does it. It simply boots up normally. I even got an app that makes it easy to reboot into restore or fastboot modes (just click an option and it reboots), however just like before the phone simply reboots normally. I even did a factory restore prior to trying the update... no go.

Should I try to remove the root access? Is this what is giving me all the problems. I was able to successfully install root explorer and titanium backup and both of those programs worked fine.

R800i, Android 2.3.3, Kernel 2.6.32.9-perf SEMCUser@SEMCHost #1, Build number 3.0.1.A.0.145

Edit: Title should be "Can not OTA or enter fastboot mode, root problems?"
Current [T Mobile USA] phone lineup:

-- HTC One <silver, clear plexi case, stock rom 4.1.2, bootloader unlocked & rooted> (me)

-- iPhone 5 <white, 100% stock, hello kitty case> (wife)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other:

iPad 2 (wifey), Kindle touch, Nook HD+ (Carbon Rom, Android 4.2.2), Samsung Ativ 500t (Windows 8 tablet, 11.6" of Awesome)

Deoxlar
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Is your phone sim locked? Sim locked phones need to be unlocked before able to unlock bootloader or fast load. After you unlock bootloader make sure you never ota update.

Sent from my XPlay using XDA App.

sdlaurin
Old
(Last edited by sdlaurin; 8th September 2011 at 06:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 35
Your phone has a locked bootloader and a factory lockout on fastboot.

Best advice to you is flash the r800a world generic 2.3.2 root it with gingerbreak then ota update. Use a program called wontanserver as its super easy.

Dont get anyone to remove your factory locks on fastboot until you read tons of threads on these fourms from the last couple months.

JDMpire
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Smile Ok, lets see....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoxlar View Post
"Is your phone sim locked? Sim locked phones need to be unlocked before able to unlock bootloader or fast load. After you unlock bootloader make sure you never ota update."
My phone is the R800a. It was my understanding that this phone was never locked (factory unlocked). It came in an official Sony Ericsson box and has no carrier branding on it what-so-ever. It was not purchased through a carrier. It does have a weird stock data APN called "Telekila"?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlaurin View Post
"Your phone has a locked bootloader and a factory lockout on fastboot.

Best advice to you is flash the r800a world generic 2.3.2 root it with gingerbreak then ota update. Use a program called wontanserver as its super easy.

Dont get anyone to remove your factory locks on fastboot until you read tons of threads on these fourms from the last couple months."
Doesn't wontonserver require credits to run? How expensive does this get?

I didn't know the phone could have a factory lock on the bootloader. I did go to the SE website where you get the unlock key and it was successful in giving me a key... Well I shouldn't exactly say "successful", it did give me a key code to use if and when I can unlock the bootloader, weather or not that code is actually legit remains to be seen. I'm a bit skeptical now since you said the phone is bootloader locked from the factory. I though SE was allowing their phones to be unlocked. I recently unlocked my Motorola Atrix and was expecting to do the same with this phone.

Thank you guys for the advice. I love this phone so far but I can't wait to get a custom rom on it

-- HTC One <silver, clear plexi case, stock rom 4.1.2, bootloader unlocked & rooted> (me)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other:

iPad 2 (wifey), Kindle touch, Nook HD+ (Carbon Rom, Android 4.2.2), Samsung Ativ 500t (Windows 8 tablet, 11.6" of Awesome)

sdlaurin
Old
(Last edited by sdlaurin; 9th September 2011 at 12:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 35
It uses credits but they are free.

There are currently 2 gentlemen on these forums that can remove your fastboot locks and unlock your bootloader.

Have a look for thier threads on this matter

JDMpire
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
I would like to have this done now, so gentlemen, whomever is able to do this please message me and we can work something out. Im dieing to get a new rom on this awesome phone/game console.

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

Other:

PsychoShaft
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
If you need help with unlocking your phone contact Alejandrissimo he does Unlocks
The Following User Says Thank You to PsychoShaft For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Christian6809
Old
(Last edited by Christian6809; 16th October 2011 at 12:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
I flashed the r800a world generic 2.3.2 rooted it with gingerbreak then ota updated.I get the same thing as DMpire , reboots and gives me an "update failed" message.

Is this because I removed some of the stock apps that came on the phone after it was rooted? Anyone know about this?

Does it matter if the SD card is mounted or not?

swebosdev
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Removing stock apps then trying to ota isnt going to happen. Reflash, root, ota, then remove your stock apps

Christian6809
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Is there any easy way to do this? can I reflash it as it has a locked bootloader, or do I have to get the bootloader unlocked?