can we increase the size of /datadata on cm7 with a symlink?
throughout the time ive spent with my captivate i have seen more people saying they are having issues with this /datadata folder getting too full on the root of the cappy when running cm7 than anything else (except BLN but thats not a true issue as much as a feature request of many) and i was wondering if there was any way i could increase the size of /datadata? is there any way we could rally together and get the size increased by the cm team themselves? if this /datadata folder getting low on space hadnt caused most of the problems i have read of people encountering with cm7 i wouldnt have made this thread.
but basically what im talking about is this:
1. new cm7 user installs the rom
2. they comment about how awesome and smooth it runs and how its better than anything, and "how could i have waited so long for this" type statements
3. they install all their user apps, generally not even close to enough to fill up the phone's "internal storage"
4. they come to the cm7 nightly or rc threads and make a post about force closes, lag, performance complaints, market download issues, or whatever random problem the tiny /datadata folder has caused them to experience
5. 1-4 people tell them about the /datadata folder needing more room to wiggle in and everything is fine after that
if there was some way to increase this mysterious (and entirely too small) /datadata folder's size then we could stop the steps above at 3, and to my knowledge the system doesnt act the same way on samsung roms, therefore a developer for samsung knows how to make the /datadata location work differently, or better in some way. if there is a partition specifically for that folder then i would like to know how to make it larger without screwing up the rest of the phone (i.e. making caches too small can cause market issues and such nonsense)
does anybody else have any information to add to this? if so please let me know to update the OP because i would enjoy how clean the threads will be, how well cyanogen will work out of the box, and not having to relay the same information repeatedly because some just simply will not use the search function to find one of the dozens of users experiencing the same problems in the threads they are posting in.
I know there has to be some way because no other phone i have used has acted this way, and no other rom, thus it is a 100% fixable and do-able thing. if anybody can do it its those here on xda so i figured i would post this to try and get the development needed for the fix going strong.
I know very little about these things honestly, but i do know some and i shall contribute as much as i can
use the thanks button if ive helped you
like skateboarding? check THIS out : )
"life is too imporant to be taken seriously"