Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,442 Members 42,657 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[FIX][APK][ZIP] DroidFroam - Manage data roaming ( force data roaming always ON )

Tip us?

raymccoy
Old
(Last edited by raymccoy; 18th March 2013 at 02:57 PM.) Reason: Update to version 1.1
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Plug [FIX][APK][ZIP] DroidFroam - Manage data roaming ( force data roaming always ON )

DroidFroam
Version: 1.1

UPDATES:

- v1.1 (18/03/2013): Allow disabling data roaming

--------------

DroidFroam keeps data roaming always on.

It is a known problem from the Droid 3 that even if data roaming is set to enabled in settings, it will reset back to disabled after some time, showing the "data roaming is off" notification and you having to enable it again manually.

I'm using a small Spanish carrier that rents the network of another bigger carrier, so I'm on national roaming most of the time, and was sick of this problem. I had to re-enable data roaming maybe 30 times a day. So I made this little app to put an end to it!

How it works

The app listens to android.net.conn.CONNECTIVITY_CHANGE. If you are not on WiFi and the network is roaming, it will enable data roaming whenever there is a connectivity change. It also allows you to manually enable and disable data roaming, useful with Minimoto as there is no interface for doing this in that ROM.

How to install

The app needs the WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission, which is only available to system apps, so it needs to be installed as a system app.

If you have a rooted phone, the app will install itself as a system app on first launch (with your authorization of course). If not, you will have to install the zipped version via recovery (i.e. Safestrap), or you can copy it yourself with root explorer if you prefer.

I HAVE ONLY TESTED THE APP IN MY Droid 3 (XT862) WITH MINIMOTO 1.7. Let me know if it works for you!

This is my first android app so use under your own responsibility

Attached Files
File Type: apk DroidFroam_1_1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (227.2 KB, 560 views)
File Type: zip DroidFroam_1_1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (442.7 KB, 196 views)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to raymccoy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raymccoy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Updated to version v1.1, now you can disable data roaming as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to raymccoy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

roshandes
Old
(Last edited by roshandes; 17th August 2013 at 12:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 155
hi.. it works on my micromax A110 (Canvas 2).

RAD7
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Question Query

I have a Motorola Atrix 2 model "EDISON" ME865 running stock Jellybean 4.1.2 with init.d support & rooted. I have read your disclaimers but can it cause serious harm of botching up my internet connectivity for good as it is a system app and mainly if it does cause issue is it possible to rollback to original settings simply by uninstalling the app?? I do have Nandroid but I do not want to do a restore for a small issue. Do reply as even I am fed up of this roaming settings issue. Thanks!
Life is a bitch & then you die, still tryin to get a piece of that apple pie!

Rooted (One Click Method) ME865 running Stock JB 4.1.2 leak # 1 by wanggjghost - converted from originally Asia (India) MB865 (non At&t & non Lte) 1.2 ghz clockspeed & OC on fly using Tweakerz & CWMR using BMM 0.3.4 by Whirleyes & init.d support using 'apk based init.d by Ryu'

raymccoy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD7 View Post
I have a Motorola Atrix 2 model "EDISON" ME865 running stock Jellybean 4.1.2 with init.d support & rooted. I have read your disclaimers but can it cause serious harm of botching up my internet connectivity for good as it is a system app and mainly if it does cause issue is it possible to rollback to original settings simply by uninstalling the app?? I do have Nandroid but I do not want to do a restore for a small issue. Do reply as even I am fed up of this roaming settings issue. Thanks!
Be sure to leave the app with the "force data roaming" setting to "disabled" before uninstalling, just in case. But it should be OK with just uninstalling.

In any case I think it doesn't work in Jellybean, only Gingerbread, but give it a try and let me know!
The Following User Says Thank You to raymccoy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RAD7
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymccoy View Post
Be sure to leave the app with the "force data roaming" setting to "disabled" before uninstalling, just in case. But it should be OK with just uninstalling.

In any case I think it doesn't work in Jellybean, only Gingerbread, but give it a try and let me know!
Thanks for the reply and if you say it will roll back to original setting making sure to disable 'force data roaming' if uninstalled then it's ok but since you also mention it works only on GB I am afraid to experiment on JB. No offense but just being cautious. I will try to bump this to my phone developers too to see if they can work this in to JB. Thanks again.

Rooted (One Click Method) ME865 running Stock JB 4.1.2 leak # 1 by wanggjghost - converted from originally Asia (India) MB865 (non At&t & non Lte) 1.2 ghz clockspeed & OC on fly using Tweakerz & CWMR using BMM 0.3.4 by Whirleyes & init.d support using 'apk based init.d by Ryu'

raymccoy
Old
(Last edited by raymccoy; 22nd August 2013 at 10:55 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Thanks for the reply and if you say it will roll back to original setting making sure to disable 'force data roaming' if uninstalled then it's ok but since you also mention it works only on GB I am afraid to experiment on JB. No offense but just being cautious. I will try to bump this to my phone developers too to see if they can work this in to JB. Thanks again.
Well according to @roshandes who just wrote a few posts before, it works in his Micromax A110 (Canvas 2). which comes with Jelly Bean, so it MIGHT work in Jelly Bean, just I have never personally tested it so I can't say first hand.

Let me know if it works for you!

RAD7
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymccoy View Post
Well according to @RoshanDoes who just wrote a few posts before, it works in his Micromax A110 (Canvas 2). which comes with Jelly Bean, so it MIGHT work in Jelly Bean, just I have never personally tested it so I can't say first hand.

Let me know if it works for you!
The canvas 2 is a ICS device and I was unsure if he updated to JB as it was not mentioned. I am tempted to give it a shot but am pensive that it should not screw up my internet connectivity or at least I should be able to revert to normal as before taking care of point mentioned by you while uninstalling. I will advise results when I go through the process. Is there something in particular that I can back up if I need to go back to original configuration?, Thanks!

raymccoy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
The canvas 2 is a ICS device and I was unsure if he updated to JB as it was not mentioned. I am tempted to give it a shot but am pensive that it should not screw up my internet connectivity or at least I should be able to revert to normal as before taking care of point mentioned by you while uninstalling. I will advise results when I go through the process. Is there something in particular that I can back up if I need to go back to original configuration?, Thanks!
You can always make a nandroid backup if you want to be extra safe

RAD7
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Exclamation Issue

I installed apk & gave it root access & to install as a system app and enabled force roaming but the tabs were non functional for enable roaming & disable roaming & now all of a sudden it wont open up and throws a message " com.cactilio.droidfroam has stopped. I cleared the setting in SuperSU and tried again but no luck. So supposedly since I was successful in enabling the 'force roaming' tab but the moment phone went in to roaming now the data got disabled and I went to normal system settings & enabled roaming and data works then. Now I cant even click the disable tab close 'force data roaming' before uninstalling as advised by you. Next steps??

Tags
data roaming, droid 3, fix, roam, roaming