Asus damaged my dock and want me to pay!

OP grenademasta

10th September 2011, 12:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29

192 posts
More
I am writing this to warn all of you who are thinking about sending in your Transformer Dock for the battery drainage issue. I just got an email from their repair center in Texas stating that there was physical damage on the dock. My first reaction was, what? My dock was pretty much brand new and hardley used because of the battery drainage issue. Thank God I took pictures of my dock right before I put it in a package to send it to them. In the email, they sent me a picture of the physical damage and it appeared as if they pried it open with a screwdriver and there is a gap between the seams at the corner of the dock.

The worst part wasn't the fact that they damaged my dock, it was the audacity of them telling me to pay $40 for parts and $65 for labor to repair something they damaged!

Anyways this is a warning for anyone who owns the older docks with the battery drainage issue. TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR DOCK BEFORE SENDING IT IN!

I can only imagine about the poor guys who didn't take pictures of their dock only to get scammed by ASUS. I also took higher quality/resolution pictures with my Lumix LX5. The picture I posted was from my 8mp camera on my phone. The pic of the damage was sent to my by ASUS repair.

Here is a copy of the email:
My apologies for the delay in sending you this notice. Your RMA has been received; however there is a delay in processing as it has ( damage to the top case of the docking keyboard ), which is not covered under the ASUS manufacturer warranty. For your reference, please review the attached picture(s). For more information in regards to types of damage not covered under ASUS manufacturer warranty, please visit http://service.asus.com, http://support.asus.com, and/or refer to your User Manual.

If you would like to continue with repairs for your ASUS product, please return the completed and signed credit card form by one of the following methods:

Fax: 510-797-2102 (Attn: deleted by me to protect the employee/scammer)

Email: (PDF/JPG formats accepted only)

Payment will need to be received no later than ( 9/15/11 ) to prevent your RMA from being returned unrepaired on ( 9/16/11 ). Repair process is approximately 3-5 business days from once payment is approved (excludes: parts on backorder and/or shipping/transit time).

Cost of repairs (all amounts are USD) enter amounts on credit card form:

Parts - $40.00 (Docking Keyboard)

Labor - $65.00

Shipping please select one shipping method only on credit card form

Sales Tax** please select one option only on credit card form
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110824_103905.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	715051   Click image for larger version

Name:	USG7181101.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	715052   Click image for larger version

Name:	sidecornernodamage.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	715070  
Last edited by grenademasta; 10th September 2011 at 12:20 AM. Reason: added photo
The Following User Says Thank You to grenademasta For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2011, 12:53 AM   |  #2  
Flag Durham
Thanks Meter: 21

355 posts
Donate to Me
More
Everyone who gets this reply is getting the exact same email from the same person.

A solution people have found is to continue to tell ASUS that it was in perfect condition when it was sent, and to ask to see the packaging to see if it was damaged in transit.

They are all getting a reply along the lines of, we no longer have the packaging, and because of your discrepancy over the damage being done in transit we will waver the fee and repair it at no extra cost

It is always the Texas repair centre that is doing this, the California one seems to be fine.
10th September 2011, 02:20 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

192 posts
More
Funny thing was I usually don't take pictures of my products when sending it in for warranty repairs. I read a thread months ago about someone claiming this same scam was pulled on him. I decided to take pictures and thank god I did.

I wonder if that damaged dock photo is the SAME photo they are passing off to other people who sent in their dock for repairs. Either that or they have some moron who has no clue of opening up the dock to repair it.
10th September 2011, 02:58 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 463

1,573 posts
I take pictures of everything I send every time. Without proof of proper packaging and content, you won't get crap from shipping insurance and you could get headaches from manufacturers. Since pretty much every single cell phone on the planet has a camera now, there is no excuse to not do it. Protect yourself!
10th September 2011, 04:22 AM   |  #5  
Flag Georgetown
Thanks Meter: 6

142 posts
More
I'm glad you're not the type of people condemning the whole company just because of such issues. It's usually down to just the employee who issued this problem.

And that picture certainly does not look like transit damage. How is it possible to have such an awesome crooked metal rim even by knocking it...?
10th September 2011, 04:46 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

192 posts
More
Its seems there is a similar pattern going on at the ASUS Gravpevine,Texas repair facility based on other transformer blogs out there. They are damaging the docks and in some cases like mine, charging people for it. It is one thing to break something and say hey we are sorry we broke it, but we will fix it for free. Instead the idiot who damaged my dock not only broke it, said it was already broke when they got it, then wants me to pay for it to fix it? Am I missing something here? I really doubt it is ASUS' policy of telling employees to break things then charge them for it so they can make money. I'm sure they wouldn't want that PR nightmare of having employees arrested for fraud.

I'm sure its one or a few employees there that are damaging the docks while opening it to replace the bad chip. The real question is, are they doing it on purpose? Do they get a kick back from the parts and labor charges? If so, then there is your MOTIVE.

These guys breaking your property then charging you to fix and repair it is no different than auto repair shops that rip you off for repairs not needed or performed. Either case it is FRAUD which is against the law.

God I am hoping to see a Dateline NBC episode of this. It would be a change from the usual the A/C repair, plumber, handyman that is caught on camera ripping off people. I would love to see Chris Hansen say "Hi I'm Chris Hansen of Dateline NBC, did you damage my keyboard dock? Have a seat.........."
10th September 2011, 03:06 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 254

634 posts
More
I might as well live down the street from the Grapevine repair center (meh, 25 miles). I've never had an issue with them and my dock came back perfect. Definitely not a center wide issue and is most likely a single employee trying to cover their ass.
10th September 2011, 04:00 PM   |  #8  
Flag Durham
Thanks Meter: 21

355 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiaV

I might as well live down the street from the Grapevine repair center (meh, 25 miles). I've never had an issue with them and my dock came back perfect. Definitely not a center wide issue and is most likely a single employee trying to cover their ass.

Or they won't try it on with someone within baseball bat distance
The Following User Says Thank You to magicdave26 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2011, 07:05 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 626

3,558 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonXW

And that picture certainly does not look like transit damage. How is it possible to have such an awesome crooked metal rim even by knocking it...?

It looks like impact damage to me, specifically a crush on the device from front to back, causing it to bow in the direction of least resistance (outwards) at the point of least resistance (where there's a hole cut for the charger port).

It most certainly does not look like damage from an attempted repair. Most likely the item was either packaged badly, mistreated badly by the shipping agent, or both.
11th September 2011, 09:02 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

192 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxploration

It looks like impact damage to me, specifically a crush on the device from front to back, causing it to bow in the direction of least resistance (outwards) at the point of least resistance (where there's a hole cut for the charger port).

It most certainly does not look like damage from an attempted repair. Most likely the item was either packaged badly, mistreated badly by the shipping agent, or both.

Impact damage? Wouldn't the force from a direct impact from striking a hard object (like the floor) cause intrusion into the dock and create a dent at the point of contact? If you are saying an impact from the front of the dock transfered to the rear of the dock, then you lost me. They didn't mention there was damage on the front of the dock, just the rear left corner. Sorry, I'm very familiar with crush analysis, and I don't see your point of view. I still say a prying tool was placed into the rear left corner seam and then pulled downward towards the port (in an attempt to open the dock) causing the thinner material at the top of the port to bend and bulge outward. Btw, the dock was wrapped completely around twice with bubble wrap and then with at least 4ft of paper bag material (15inches wide).

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread