Thread Closed

[GUIDE] How to Get Free Wifi Tether on Droid Bionic!

OP zedomax

12th September 2011, 09:48 AM   |  #41  
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
ok got it

so radiocomm is useless with droid bionic then that is fine so now we just have to figure out how much we can get by with all this just using the settings.db changes.

I am assuming that verizon can tell we are using tethering despite us not being redirected to their page or can they or will we everknow before we start either getting big bills or auto signed up for tethering.

just how far does the changes to the settings.db file go in making us undetectable or does it merely let us tether but not do anything to hide that we are tethering.

thanks
12th September 2011, 12:04 PM   |  #42  
Thanks Meter: 10

252 posts
What is the penalty if they do discover that you are using Wireless Tethering illegally?

I guess worst case scenario they make you pay the stupid $20

Anybody with experience in that?
12th September 2011, 01:57 PM   |  #43  
Flag CT
Thanks Meter: 49

431 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellzealot

This is exactly why you need to have very clear warnings about using RadioComm to do anything with your phone. Users like this person will blindly think it is safe to do these things and without very concise and well informed instructions, or even despite them, you can really mess your phone up or even destroy it very easily in RadioComm.

To try to help this person, from your description there is no reason why simply restarting the device from RadioComm would do anything at all unless you changed something else or hit any other buttons in the GUI before restarting.

Please edit your OP immediately to remove the video.

THIS WILL NOT WORK AND IS DANGEROUS TO DO!!!

So...do you have better instructions posted somewhere? I've become interested for sure. It's either tether or rely on the garbage sprint 3g/4g card for my work laptop, which is the most unreliable piece of crap I've ever had my hands on.
12th September 2011, 01:58 PM   |  #44  
Flag CT

431 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafarataneneces

What is the penalty if they do discover that you are using Wireless Tethering illegally?

I guess worst case scenario they make you pay the stupid $20

Anybody with experience in that?

That, and they'll force you to get onto a tiered plan, so if you're grandfathered into unlimited, that will end.
12th September 2011, 02:56 PM   |  #45  
Thanks Meter: 4

10 posts
More
cellzealot, thanks for your work on RadioComm. Do you have any reason to believe that vzw is using the sim to authenticate 3g dun as well? Do you know of any apps that would be beneficial in snooping authentication packets?
12th September 2011, 03:27 PM   |  #46  
Thanks Meter: 2

22 posts
So I've read through this whole thread and think I've got the gist. Please let me know if this summary is correct:

It is no problem getting wireless tether to work using the OP instructions

At this point, although you can get it to work Verizon will know about it and likely end your grandfathered unlimited plan and put you on a tethering plan

Is this accurate as the situation currently stands?
12th September 2011, 03:45 PM   |  #47  
Flag CT

431 posts
More
Let me make it clear that what I said in my last post is only substantiated by heresay and anecdotal claims. It has not happened to me personally, and I have no evidence to support it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium
12th September 2011, 04:24 PM   |  #48  
Thanks Meter: 4

10 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy1027

So I've read through this whole thread and think I've got the gist. Please let me know if this summary is correct:

It is no problem getting wireless tether to work using the OP instructions

At this point, although you can get it to work Verizon will know about it and likely end your grandfathered unlimited plan and put you on a tethering plan

Is this accurate as the situation currently stands?

I've never heard of that happening and I doubt they would modify your original contract terms. More likely they will automatically sign you up for the cheapest tethering feature ($20/mo) or cancel your contract outright. In the latter case you may still be liable for an early cancellation fee since it was due to a TOS violation.
12th September 2011, 06:30 PM   |  #49  
OP Senior Member
Flag San Francisco, CA
Thanks Meter: 2,643

1,144 posts
Donate to Me
More
don't abuse it
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmspionage

I've never heard of that happening and I doubt they would modify your original contract terms. More likely they will automatically sign you up for the cheapest tethering feature ($20/mo) or cancel your contract outright. In the latter case you may still be liable for an early cancellation fee since it was due to a TOS violation.

I've been tethering free on all carriers including Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile(free anyways), and Verizon since 2010. They CAN terminate you but they are not going to do that unless you abuse the system.

Use your common sense and don't start downloading a bunch of torrent files off your Bionic 4G connection but if you are going to use it lightly perhaps at the mall or the airport, you should be fine. Verizon has nothing to gain from terminating users even if they are tethering but they might if you abuse the system.

Use common sense!
12th September 2011, 06:33 PM   |  #50  
Flag Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Meter: 869

1,337 posts
More
To be honest, I don't have all the answers to these questions yet.

Today will be my first day off since I got the Bionic so I can start taking a closer look at some of these things.

The fact is that VZW and the other carriers and the manufacturers are all working together to stop this practice and have implemented numerous different schemes to accomplish that.

The phone can still be read and programmed using QPST because the MDM6600 Qualcomm chip is handling CDMA/EvDO it requires those NVM parameters, but the values in those authentication strings for NAI and Tethered NAI are now different. We also do not have any diagnostic tools available in the wild to read and monitor the new Motorola LTE radio chipset in the Bionic. This the first time anyone has had the chance to see it. When they developed it, they didn't even have proper diagnostic monitoring software tools like QXDM for their testers to use in the field. All of that had to be developed internally and that was part of the delay in getting this device to market.

They have finally implemented the network side changes needed to differentiate internal and externally routed data in an new way.

We have lots of work to do now...ok?
Last edited by cellzealot; 12th September 2011 at 06:41 PM.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread