5,596,128 Members 34,040 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [question]Windows 8 on Iconia?

Tip us?

brady.wassam
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] [question]Windows 8 on Iconia?

Today at Build Microsoft announced that Windows 8 would launch with ARM support. Does this mean someone could potentially port it for the Iconia to be used in those times when a Window based software is needed but neither PC nor VLC is unavailable?

Please save "why would you want to use Windows" comments. This is a mature developer website, send those comments to Engadget.

tkolev
Old
Thanks Meter 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by brady.wassam View Post
Today at Build Microsoft announced that Windows 8 would launch with ARM support. Does this mean someone could potentially port it for the Iconia to be used in those times when a Window based software is needed but neither PC nor VLC is unavailable?

Please save "why would you want to use Windows" comments. This is a mature developer website, send those comments to Engadget.
This being a "mature developer website" has a search function and q&a section. Both would lead you to this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1259742

Anyway, only time will tell if win8 will be ported to the iconia (or any other android tablet). I haven't heard of wp7 being ported to an android phone, so I wouldn't bet on it. Still I can see the potential in it and would gladly try it (especially if it can be made as dual-boot).

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App
kjy2010 Old
Thanks Meter
Downloaded and installed the "Developers Preview" of Win 8 last night. Remember this is a pre-beta release, and for certain it's in it's infancy relatively speaking. As of this moment in time, Android has a much smoother interface for touch. Win 8 still feels a bit sticky for lack of a better word. I installed it on my HP Touchsmart TM2 2150 US laptop (core i3 with 8Gb ram), so it's not exactly a slouch in terms of hardware. It's a total touch screen laptop that has a screen that folds down onto the keyboard to create a tablet. As of this moment, Win 7 has a much better touch screen experience, but I fully expect that to change as the builds mature.
There are very few apps that come with it (28 I believe), and no app store as of yet obviously.
I read last night that typical Windows apps will not run on the ARM version of Win 8, and that MS is going to do it's best to prevent side loading of apps on the ARM version to keep people purchasing apps, instead of loading them from a USB stick or SD card, but that is just rumor as of right now.
Long story short, you're not missing much yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

twisticles
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkolev View Post
only time will tell if win8 will be ported to the iconia
I appreciate this is in the A500 forum, but the Iconia also comes in a W500 variant which does indeed run Win8:

http://youtu.be/_CNQVk7nok0

kaziko
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisticles View Post
I appreciate this is in the A500 forum, but the Iconia also comes in a W500 variant which does indeed run Win8
Some of us already have an a500. No need to bring up another piece of hardware. "Yeah your Honda s2000 can fit a Corvette engine, but why not get a Corvette instead"

Sent from my A500 using xda premium

masands
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I don't think Microsoft will be releasing a beta for ARM chips and we will see Windows 8 run on ARM only during retail. After that XDA will not port Windows 8 simply because it would be considered illegal.

tkolev
Old
Thanks Meter 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisticles View Post
I appreciate this is in the A500 forum, but the Iconia also comes in a W500 variant which does indeed run Win8:

http://youtu.be/_CNQVk7nok0
The OP was asking about the ARM version of win8, so I seriously doubt that it is about the w500.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App

JdgM3NT4L
Old
Thanks Meter 197
I installed Windows 8 on my pc a few hours ago. It is very smooth! But my DVD burner doesn't work... Anyway, I would love to see it on the A500.
Immortal... For a Limited Time.

Ever wonder what that adb thing is all about? Check this> ADB guide by iamareebjamal.
kjy2010 Old
Thanks Meter
Here's a preview of Win 8 tablets. Acer's is running an AMD chip instead of a Tegra:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4811/w...-intel-silicon

emo-dudes
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Smile Windows 8

Windows 8 *might* just support ARM. Everyone on the net is talking about it but no one is really sure. But as for now if you want something similar to Windows 8 there's always WinCE7 :D Cheers.
LG KS20 Home Cooked ROM
LG GD900 Crystal
Acer Iconia Tab Ubuntu Linux

Tags
a500, acer, acer iconia, iconia, windows 8