OP Darkshado

15th September 2011, 08:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Montréal
Thanks Meter: 474

997 posts
Donate to Me
More
(Avis aux intéressés, j'ai parti une discussion en français sur Frandroid.)

Hello everyone,

Here's my ArpegGioMod ROM, for the Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M. Current (and final) version is 0.9
(ArpegGioMod has had over 1500 downloads! Thanks!)

Features:
  • Rooted
  • Deodexed apps and framework. (Optional)
  • Working FM radio (remember, your headphones are the antenna!)
  • No power on sound.
  • Restored support for the normal Android bootanimation.zip format. Right now it's just running the "base" animation (with the green Android text). I'm open to suggestions/logos/proposals!
  • CRT screen off animation re-enabled, you do need to turn back animations on in the settings to see it.
  • ADW Launcher (I just used the "standalone" version and placed it in /system/app/, not the cleanest way, but it works, and leaves you the choice between that and Touchwiz Launcher)
  • Removed all Bell software, as well as some Samsung apps.

New in 0.6
  • Added options to the power button menu: Reboot (Normal), Reboot Recovery Mode and Reboot to Download Mode.
  • Car mode.

New in 0.7
  • Phone will not relock itself to Bell after doing a factory reset without a SIM card in the phone.
  • Changed the default browser homepage to Google instead of Bell's.

New in 0.8
  • Phone will not relock itself to Bell after doing a factory reset without a SIM card in the phone. (Turns out I mixed up some files and uploaded a version with Bell apps left in the CSC folder, along with the unmodified customer.xml. Not an issue, until someone did a factory reset.)
  • Unsecure kernel. So now, adb remount and push work. adb shell is permanently root.

New in 0.9
  • CWM installation instead of Odin
  • Using Phiexz's customized stock ROM kernel, with support for both ext4 and RFS partitions. The kernel also includes different wifi drivers, and they work for me!
  • Updated superuser apps (3.0.7) and binaries (3.0.3.2). The upgrade of su from 3.0.3 to 3.0.3.2 seems to have fixed whatever caused the crashes.
  • Reodexed, this seems to provide better performance.
  • Removed the annoying "Full charge" notification.
  • Enabled native SIP functionality. (Untested.)
  • Removed the "Android Tips" widget.
  • Added the "Roboto" FlipFont apk, found on XDA.
  • No-frills CPU Control 1.20

Google Application updates:
  • Android Market 3.4.4
  • Gmail 2.3.5.2
  • Google Maps 6.3.0
  • Google Search 1.3.3.247963
  • Street View 1.7.1.0
  • Voice Search 2.1.4
  • YouTube 2.3.4

To do:
  • Implement BLN by patching /system/framework/services.jar

Things I will not do. (Or at least, not without significant assistance from those requesting it.)
  • Additional languages.

Files required to install 0.9:

Galaxy Gio ext4 converter
Backup RFS User Data (Optional)
Restore User Data to ext4 (Optional)
ROM Zip file: ArpegGioMod 0.9 MD5 hash: 010DA7C4542537443D2DD2E9BDBAFC43
Re-odex script (Optional)

Short Version 0.9 Installation instructions:
  1. If you're upgrading from a stock ROM or ArpegGioMod 0.8: Backup User Data Script
    (You'll probably want to delete the two tar.gz files remaining on your SD card afterwards.)
  2. As required: format from RFS to ext4.
  3. If you're upgrading from a stock ROM or ArpegGioMod 0.8: Restore User Data Script
  4. Flash ROM zip
  5. Re-odex as required

Detailed Version 0.9 Installation instructions:
(Or, the "this is my first time trying this out and frankly I'm a little overwhelmed with information" version.)

I'm going to start this one with a brand new, freshly out of the box Gio. I will however assume that you already have a working Odin and Android SDK install. Plenty of tutorials out there for both. (See links below for the correct Odin version.)
  1. Copy the zip files to your MicroSD card.
  2. Reboot your phone in Download Mode. (Hold Volume Down + Home + Power. There will be a pink warning screen. Press Volume Up.)
  3. Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery with Odin.
  4. Reboot the phone into Recovery Mode. (adb reboot recovery, or Home + Power)
  5. "install zip from sdcard"
  6. "choose zip from sdcard"
  7. Install the ext4 converter zip.
  8. Install the ROM zip.
  9. Install the Re-odex script zip.
  10. Reboot
  11. Optional: adb shell, then dd if=/dev/block/bml5 of=/sdcard/bml5 bs=4096 to get your unlock code as per Tweakradje's unlock tutorial.
  12. Enjoy!

Version 0.8 Installation instructions:

Un7zip and flash with Odin.
I strongly suggest you do a factory reflash and reset if you're flashing from something other than stock or ArpegGioMod.

Version 0.8: http://www.mediafire.com/?nxp0ce21909c676 7-Zip file MD5 hash: 6CEE73812AF9D30189A5F808CE0A7DEA
(Thanks Koodiifin!)

Tools and additional information:

CWM 5.0.2.7-based recovery, compiled for the 5660 by Phiexz, modified for the 5660M by Peteragent5: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1493932

"Supersafe" bml5 unlock method by Tweakradje, originally meant for the GT-I5500, should also work with little or no modifications for the 5660M: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=828534

My other thread from which all of this started: Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660 and GT-S5660M Partition Mapping This thread contains links to a rooted, but otherwise completely stock ROM backup I made prior to starting my work on ArpegGioMod.

Older Clockworkmod-based recovery, meant for the Europe/Asia 5660, but working fine on the 5660M: http://particle.blurringexistence.ne...rkmod-recovery

Tutorial on flashing with Odin, with link for the appropriate version for our phone.

Goodbye,

Darkshado
Last edited by Darkshado; 20th July 2013 at 07:58 AM.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Darkshado For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th September 2011, 10:51 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 13

5 posts
Just installed ArpegGio on my Virgin Mobile 5660M and it seems to be working great. 3G wifi and FM are working, plus I am glad to be rid of a bunch of carrier garbage apps. Thanks Darkshado I can't wait to see a2sd in there. Could I install it the manual way on this FW?

OT:
Thanks too Darkshado for all your tips for 5660M owners. I got mine 3 days ago, rooted and unlocked on day 2, flashed your FW on day 3. Reminds me of my days making custom OS for my blackberry
16th September 2011, 04:11 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Montréal

997 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardran3

Just installed ArpegGio on my Virgin Mobile 5660M and it seems to be working great. 3G wifi and FM are working, plus I am glad to be rid of a bunch of carrier garbage apps. Thanks Darkshado I can't wait to see a2sd in there. Could I install it the manual way on this FW?

If you mean by modifying your boot.img ramdisk, yes. That's what I've been unable to do. I suspect an outdated/incompatible mkbootimg binary, and can't download the source make a new one as of writing this since kernel.org is still down.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could also try flashing an Euro 5660 boot.img. But I can't guarantee there won't be other issues.

Quote:

OT:
Thanks too Darkshado for all your tips for 5660M owners. I got mine 3 days ago, rooted and unlocked on day 2, flashed your FW on day 3. Reminds me of my days making custom OS for my blackberry

You're welcome.
Last edited by Darkshado; 16th September 2011 at 04:14 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkshado For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th September 2011, 05:09 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

80 posts
More
Hi, This is going to be my first flash for my S5660M. I've a small question for it. What mode should I choose in ODIN? Do I need to care about the ops file?

Sorry for my newbie question. Thank you.
WillingMagic
18th September 2011, 02:47 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
You have to rebuild kernel with ext support. To create system.rfs or other *.rfs you have to type in console
Code:
 mkfs.ext4 -O ^huge_file system.rfs
or it won`t boot. Of course you need modify initscripts. You can change from rfs to ext4 and it should work.
Last edited by WillingMagic; 18th September 2011 at 02:49 PM.
18th September 2011, 04:00 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Montréal

997 posts
Donate to Me
More
My problem is that due to the troubles at kernel.org I haven't been able to download the AOSP source yet.

I already suspected it wouldn't work with the stock kernel boot.img before trying.

For the conversion, I used a modified Galaxy Tab ext4 conversion update with the mkfs binaries included. That worked like a charm, CWM mounted the partitions, no questions asked.

I'll have to wait until an official AOSP repo comes back online to take this further.

Goodbye,

Darkshado

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App
Last edited by Darkshado; 19th September 2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Errors.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkshado For This Useful Post: [ View ]
WillingMagic
18th September 2011, 08:29 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
It will work with stock kernel, but you need change build config.
19th September 2011, 02:44 PM   |  #8  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 1

19 posts
More
Hi

Just installed your rom this sunday... It work nice and no problem!

Was wondering, is the factory reset from the cwm is better than the one within the phone app? And or is the same?

And keep up the good work it is really appreciated

Thx Dark!

Sent from my GT-S5660M using XDA App
19th September 2011, 10:46 PM   |  #9  
Westerlee
Thanks Meter: 41

280 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshado

Hello everyone,

New in 0.6
[*]Added options to the power button menu: Reboot (Normal), Reboot Recovery Mode and Reboot to Download Mode.[*]Car mode.[/LIST]

Goodbye,

Darkshado

Nice job, very nice.

Is it duable to create that option in a aditional zipfile.
That you can flash it in recoverymode with a other rom????

You would make me very happy with that.
20th September 2011, 05:30 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Montréal

997 posts
Donate to Me
More
You have to modify framework-res.apk framework.jar and android.policy.jar for this to work, and it requires editing Smali code.

I did it by loosely following guides meant for the I9000 found here.

You could always push those files from my ROM to give it a try like that, but I wouldn't count on the framework from the 5660M to be fully compatible with the 5660 (which I understand you have from some of your other posts).

The Following User Says Thank You to Darkshado For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread