Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

How to Play Music From Android Wear – XDA TV

Yesterday, we showed you how to do some advanced things with your Moto 360 quite easily … more

Google Updates Play Games, Wallet, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, Google+, and Camera

While we haven’t really had much in the way of … more

Google Execs Talk to Ars About Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is right around the corner, and it’s expected to hit AOSP … more

3/4g internal modem.

OP nateleduc

15th September 2011, 07:27 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

24 posts
I'm looking to start a thread about turning an a500 into a a501. I've done a teardown of the a500 and it has the capability of potentially being able to support an internal card. It has the space/slot and screw mounts.

Before I start ordering and soldering parts to the circuit board I'd like to get a few facts straight.

1. The firmware (kernel) between the a501 and a500 are the same? I've heard that it is, and that it isn't

2. Drivers- obviously drivers will need to written. No way of getting around that.

3. PCIe Riser extender - As you can see from these pictures, the plastic bracket is missing/not included. You can see on each side there is two holes for mounting the bracket. I'd recommend the extended below, as it will allow me the needed length between the two.

http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-Ri.../dp/B0054CIL46

The reason I'm picking this is because I can solder this

Here is the empty space:

Now here is the space with a pcie wlan card

You can see from the last picture that there is a space issue that needs to be addressed.

I would need to use riser with an extended back end inorder to align up this the screw mounts.

this picture is just of the screw mounts.

I've seen a few threads now about the idea of this , nothing really taking liftoff, so I thought I'd be the first to start.

Also, is there a command for listing hardware/chips in android , using android terminal emulator. Something like lspci (linux command)

On to pcie 4g/3g cards.

Here is the 4g card I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-5150-m...item43a38d57f7

I'd rather have one with the major cellular provides, but I can't seem to find any. Clear has a basic 200mb (holy hell) for $20. Not bad for 4g coverage.

3g Card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inspiron-152...item5645ae677e

This one is cheap, and from verizon.

$30 /2gb plan from verizon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know what you think. If you have anything to add please feel free to let me know
Last edited by nateleduc; 15th September 2011 at 07:35 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nateleduc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th September 2011, 09:50 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 80

712 posts
Donate to Me
More
Make a video when you got it running.
15th September 2011, 03:11 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

24 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny0906

Make a video when you got it running.

Still learning basic programming.I've taken a programming fundamentals and half of programming structures. Teacher was Indian and had us read from a book. If someone wouldbwrite the driver I would jump into it
The Following User Says Thank You to nateleduc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th September 2011, 03:32 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2

155 posts
wow .. really interesting ..
now u know what would be even better ?
to have this module external.
to be able to connect it to the a500.
anyway ..
sure hope u get something..
16th September 2011, 04:34 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Flag Milton, Florida ✖✖✖✖✖✖✖✖✖✖
Thanks Meter: 10,295

4,697 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxandrei

wow .. really interesting ..
now u know what would be even better ?
to have this module external.
to be able to connect it to the a500.
anyway ..
sure hope u get something..

I agree!! Your average XDA user is open minded when it comes to flashing roms, kernels and different types of software mods but they aren't that open minded to cracking their device open and screwing around with things internally. A usb type of module would be great!! I KNOW you're properly thinking like "WOW, do you want it to clean your house too" BUT T'll put my wallet where my mouth is and will donate 75 dollars if you can get this thing working via usb or provide some sort of brick-proof way of doing this.

I'm really excited to the idea of possibly having 4G on this tablet!!
Good Luck!!

Sent from inside my house using XDA Premium
17th September 2011, 05:45 AM   |  #6  
It looks like its missing one of these..

Mouser is a great source for parts like this. It will involve soldering a connector and possibly writing a driver.

Once you find out the parts requirement, any electronics repair shop can handle it.
http://www.mouser.com/Interconnects/...ors/_/N-72bz7/

I can't help anymore then this, I don't own one of these devices. However, kernel=drivers. You've got two issues. Kernel support and Hardware. Once you've got the physical connection done, search for some linux devices which uses similar hardware and grab the kernel modules built for your kernel. If you're lucky, you can just insmod them into the device. If you're not lucky, you'll need to build from source.
17th September 2011, 06:05 AM   |  #7  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Australia
Thanks Meter: 1,893

6,297 posts
More
Would a kernel dump or source from an A501 do the trick? I don't have one, just throwing around ideas...
I-S
17th September 2011, 06:22 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
A little background: I'm an electronic engineer with some experience of teardown work.

I agree with Adam that you need a socket rather than trying to solder a flexy on.

Do you have any teardown information on the A501, or would someone with an A501 be willing to get photographs. I think the key hardware things to find out are 1) what socket is used for the card and 2) what card is used.

If you get a 3g card with the same chipset on, then wouldn't it be as simple as hacking in A501 firmware for the driver?
17th September 2011, 06:44 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Developer
Flag Springfield IL
Thanks Meter: 654

1,124 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S

A little background: I'm an electronic engineer with some experience of teardown work.

I agree with Adam that you need a socket rather than trying to solder a flexy on.

Do you have any teardown information on the A501, or would someone with an A501 be willing to get photographs. I think the key hardware things to find out are 1) what socket is used for the card and 2) what card is used.

If you get a 3g card with the same chipset on, then wouldn't it be as simple as hacking in A501 firmware for the driver?

That one itself would be the ideal. But that makes sense.
17th September 2011, 08:30 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
The story doesn't end at installing the card mount, but also needs other components to work. Instead you can tear down a 2 port USB hub, tear down your 3G modem and Stick it in an empty place do some soldering so that the end result should be as follows........

1. The socket which generates USB inside the case, should be fed to the USB hub,
2. One output of the hub should go to the USB dongle we earlier ripped out
3. The other output of the hub should be the cable that extends to the outside USB port.. after all we need this USB also for external USB for attaching keyboards, flash drives etc..

I hope I gave a unique idea here

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread