How to Root Android Wear 5.0.1 Lollipop Devices – XDA TV

The Lollipop update for Android Wear devices has hit the market and people are … more

Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[GUIDE] Install Windows 8 from a USB Stick/SD Card

OP NikolaiT

15th September 2011, 08:35 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66

381 posts
More
NOTE:
THIS GUIDE WAS CREATED WHEN WINDOWS 8 WAS IN THE DEVELOPER PREVIEW STAGE. IT MAY NO LONGER BE VALID, IT HASN'T BEEN TESTED WITH THE RELEASE PREVIEW OR RTM.

Well, I didn't have any DVDs available with me so I figured I'd install Windows 8 from an SD Card, and it succeeded, so here is a guide to install it from an SD Card or USB Stick.

AT LEAST AN 8GB SD CARD OR USB STICK IS NEEDED
THIS GUIDE ASSUMES YOU HAVE ANOTHER PARTITION TO INSTALL WINDOWS 8 OVER OR YOU'RE GOING TO INSTALL IT OVER YOUR CURRENT PARTITION. Learn how to create a new partition here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../gg309170.aspx

1. Download the ISO here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

2. Download Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (this was meant for Windows 7 ISOs but it works fine with the Windows 8 ISO: http://images2.store.microsoft.com/p...B-DVD-tool.exe

3. Format your SD Card/USB Stick to NTFS, do not do a quick format, fully format it.

4. Install and open up Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (This application requires at least .NET Framework 2.0)

5. Choose your ISO:

6. Choose media type (choose USB!):

7. Insert your USB Stick or SD Card and select it:

8. Wait for it to finish creating your bootable USB Stick/SD Card:

9. You should see this, If you don't something went wrong:

10. Choose "Safely Remove G: (or whatever drive letter your USB stick/SD Card is.)", but don't actually remove the USB Drive or SD Card physically.

11. Shut down your computer and press F12 (or whatever button it is that lets you choose what media to boot off of, it's F12 on my Inspiron 1545.)

12. If you followed these instructions exactly, and you using an SD Card, but it does not work, your computer probably does not support booting off SD. But I urge you to repeat step 10 a few times before giving up, the first time I tried it, it just sat at a flashing _, but the second time, it worked.

13. Follow instructions setup gives you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ

Q: Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool seems to have stalled?!?
A: It probably hasn't, mine stayed on 98% for 30 minutes. If it has been more than say, 3 hours, cancel, reboot your computer and attempt again.

Q: Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool tells me it's not a valid iso!?
A: Make sure your ISO is not corrupt, compare SHA1 hashes with valid ISOs here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516
If the hashes are different, redownload your ISO.

Q: I'm using an SD Card but my computer won't boot from it?!
A: Your computer probably doesn't support booting from SD Card, the only option would be a new computer.

IMAGE SOURCES: WindowsVJ - SizzledCore - Softonic - Elmajdal
Last edited by NikolaiT; 25th July 2012 at 01:35 AM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to NikolaiT For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th September 2011, 08:44 PM   |  #2  
Flag Cloud 9
Thanks Meter: 18

132 posts
More
Wow, that was quick. A noob question, migrating from windows 7, what data I'm going to lose after installing Windows 8?
15th September 2011, 08:55 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

381 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanedreamz

Wow, that was quick. A noob question, migrating from windows 7, what data I'm going to lose after installing Windows 8?

Don't install it over your Windows 7 partition, Windows 8 is currently a developer preview, it's stable, but has issues. I recommend creating a new partition and installing Windows 8 there, here's a how-to guide on creating partitions: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../gg309170.aspx
15th September 2011, 09:38 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,974

2,754 posts
More
Put windows 8 x64 through Windows 7 usb tool on my 4 gb stick,failed at 99% but the os and the installation works..
Anyways,thanks for the guide
15th September 2011, 09:42 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

381 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter88

Put windows 8 x64 through Windows 7 usb tool on my 4 gb stick,failed at 99% but the os and the installation works..
Anyways,thanks for the guide

No problem .
15th September 2011, 09:53 PM   |  #6  
Flag Kissimmee
Thanks Meter: 650

2,738 posts
More
If you create a new partition, will it work like a dual boot? where I can install in the new partition, launch Windows 8 in my laptop and afterwards I can reboot back into my regular Windows 7 ?
15th September 2011, 10:15 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

63 posts
Ive got a 60gb partition on my hard drive, everytime i try to install win8 onto that partition it fails, its the same format as my C drive and my recovery drive and it will allow me to install on them fine but why not my new partition
im going to try one more time and i will take note of the error message so i can post it here

(once i finish formatting my drive.... again)
Last edited by Sturgie; 15th September 2011 at 10:18 PM.
15th September 2011, 10:35 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

381 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roloracer

If you create a new partition, will it work like a dual boot? where I can install in the new partition, launch Windows 8 in my laptop and afterwards I can reboot back into my regular Windows 7 ?

Yes. You shrink your Windows 7 partition and use the unallocated space to create an NTFS partition. Yes, it will dualboot.
15th September 2011, 10:35 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 12

55 posts
I found instructions on how to install to a VHD (virtual disk image) that you can then actually boot from at this site:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/GuideT...lHardDisk.aspx

It saves having to repartition (or install over a current OS). It has actually failed for me so far, about 25% through the install I get an error about required files missing, but I seem always get that bloody error with every preview of Windows going back to at least W2K, so it may work well for some of you. Seems like the most risk free way to try.

I'm just about to try a different USB key set to boot using unetbootin, and if that fails I'll try the tip above about fully formatting with NTFS (I did a quick format). Maybe one of those will help.
15th September 2011, 10:38 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

381 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgie

Ive got a 60gb partition on my hard drive, everytime i try to install win8 onto that partition it fails, its the same format as my C drive and my recovery drive and it will allow me to install on them fine but why not my new partition
im going to try one more time and i will take note of the error message so i can post it here

(once i finish formatting my drive.... again)

Take note of the Error, your computer, the format, what type of removable media you're using (SD card or USB stick), and the version of Windows 8 you're attempting to install. We may be able to help you then.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread