FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Will there ever be ports to ___? No!

381 posts
Thanks Meter: 66
 
By NikolaiT, Senior Member on 15th September 2011, 08:08 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
There won't be ports to say, the Motorola Xoom or the HP TouchPad. Let me explain:

1. In it's current state, Windows 8 doesn't support ARM architecture, although it will later, so I suppose this is only a semi-valid point.

2. and 3. Windows 8 isn't open source, so any ports would be illegal and without source, it's basically impossible.

Please don't fill this subsection with questions concerning if it'll ever come to your tablet/phone/etc., because it won't.
Last edited by NikolaiT; 15th September 2011 at 08:34 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NikolaiT For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
15th September 2011, 08:33 PM |#2  
omar_killer's Avatar
Member
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
your right,I almost forgot about legal stuff! +1 for pointing this out!
15th September 2011, 09:11 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 72
 
More
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4811/w...-intel-silicon
???????
i guess we can be confident that 1. will happen
15th September 2011, 09:24 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiT

There won't be ports to say, the Motorola Xoom or the HP TouchPad. Let me explain:

1. In it's current state, Windows 8 doesn't support ARM architecture, although it will later, so I suppose this is only a semi-valid point.

2. and 3. Windows 8 isn't open source, so any ports would be illegal and without source, it's basically impossible.

Please don't fill this subsection with questions concerning if it'll ever come to your tablet/phone/etc., because it won't.

Microsoft does have Windows 8 running on ARM, the only thing they haven't done is release a dev build. We'll either get it at a later date or we'll have to wait for the beta.
15th September 2011, 09:34 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiT

There won't be ports to say, the Motorola Xoom or the HP TouchPad. Let me explain:

1. In it's current state, Windows 8 doesn't support ARM architecture, although it will later, so I suppose this is only a semi-valid point.

2. and 3. Windows 8 isn't open source, so any ports would be illegal and without source, it's basically impossible.

Please don't fill this subsection with questions concerning if it'll ever come to your tablet/phone/etc., because it won't.

Not being open source didn't stop the HTC HD2 from recieving Windows Phone 7
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saljen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th September 2011, 09:40 PM |#6  
NikolaiT's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saljen

Not being open source didn't stop the HTC HD2 from recieving Windows Phone 7

Mobile OSes are less work than a full fledged operating system, plus, you need to consider legality.
15th September 2011, 09:46 PM |#7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro_123

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4811/w...-intel-silicon
???????
i guess we can be confident that 1. will happen

While it will support ARM, I'd say it's doubtful that it would be released on a disk that you could just load onto your existing device, it will probably only come preloaded on devices by OEMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saljen

Not being open source didn't stop the HTC HD2 from recieving Windows Phone 7

Traditionally MS haven't been worried about piracy of their mobile OS's. Their mobile OS efforts have mainly been about keeping people in the Windows eco-system, and to a much lesser degree selling licenses for CE to OEMs making embedded devices. In most cases of mobile OS roms being posted, they've just been updated/enhanced roms for existing Windows mobile devices and so haven't really cost sales and have possibly enhanced the ecosystem.

They're generally much much more concerned about piracy of their main OS. It remains to be seen how they will react to people trying port the ARM version of Windows 8, but they could easily react as strongly as they would for a normal x86 windows.
15th September 2011, 09:59 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 130
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiT

Mobile OSes are less work than a full fledged operating system, plus, you need to consider legality.

That's never stopped developers from porting anything before...
I think at this point the largest hurdle is getting a build from an ARM dump. And drivers...can't forget about drivers.
15th September 2011, 10:50 PM |#9  
dhiral.v's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiT

Mobile OSes are less work than a full fledged operating system, plus, you need to consider legality.

Why would the legality be an issue? As long as you have a valid licence and key, when it officially becomes for sale, wouldn't it be ok?
15th September 2011, 11:35 PM |#10  
Senior Member
O 'Fallon, MO
Thanks Meter: 407
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiral.v

Why would the legality be an issue? As long as you have a valid licence and key, when it officially becomes for sale, wouldn't it be ok?

It most likely won't.
15th September 2011, 11:58 PM |#11  
dhiral.v's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 11
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugothakd

It most likely won't.

Why not?

If you've paid for the license, I am free to put it on which ever device I own be it my laptop, desktop or tablet.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes