Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,869 Members 39,371 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will there ever be ports to ___? No!

Tip us?

NikolaiT
Old
(Last edited by NikolaiT; 15th September 2011 at 08:34 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Default Will there ever be ports to ___? No!

There won't be ports to say, the Motorola Xoom or the HP TouchPad. Let me explain:

1. In it's current state, Windows 8 doesn't support ARM architecture, although it will later, so I suppose this is only a semi-valid point.

2. and 3. Windows 8 isn't open source, so any ports would be illegal and without source, it's basically impossible.

Please don't fill this subsection with questions concerning if it'll ever come to your tablet/phone/etc., because it won't.
Current Device:
Samsung Galaxy SIII

Former Devices:
T-Mobile G1 - Broken
Samsung Vibrant - Sold
HTC Inspire - Sold
Nook Color - Sold
HTC Sensation - Sold
HP TouchPad - Given Away
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NikolaiT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

omar_killer
Old
Thanks Meter 3
your right,I almost forgot about legal stuff! +1 for pointing this out!

Nitro_123
Old
Thanks Meter 66
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4811/w...-intel-silicon
???????
i guess we can be confident that 1. will happen
Trying to help

TonyCubed
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiT View Post
There won't be ports to say, the Motorola Xoom or the HP TouchPad. Let me explain:

1. In it's current state, Windows 8 doesn't support ARM architecture, although it will later, so I suppose this is only a semi-valid point.

2. and 3. Windows 8 isn't open source, so any ports would be illegal and without source, it's basically impossible.

Please don't fill this subsection with questions concerning if it'll ever come to your tablet/phone/etc., because it won't.
Microsoft does have Windows 8 running on ARM, the only thing they haven't done is release a dev build. We'll either get it at a later date or we'll have to wait for the beta.

Saljen
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:

Not being open source didn't stop the HTC HD2 from recieving Windows Phone 7
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saljen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NikolaiT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saljen View Post
Mobile OSes are less work than a full fledged operating system, plus, you need to consider legality.
Current Device:
Samsung Galaxy SIII

Former Devices:
T-Mobile G1 - Broken
Samsung Vibrant - Sold
HTC Inspire - Sold
Nook Color - Sold
HTC Sensation - Sold
HP TouchPad - Given Away

stevenmu
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro_123 View Post
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4811/w...-intel-silicon
???????
i guess we can be confident that 1. will happen
While it will support ARM, I'd say it's doubtful that it would be released on a disk that you could just load onto your existing device, it will probably only come preloaded on devices by OEMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saljen View Post
Traditionally MS haven't been worried about piracy of their mobile OS's. Their mobile OS efforts have mainly been about keeping people in the Windows eco-system, and to a much lesser degree selling licenses for CE to OEMs making embedded devices. In most cases of mobile OS roms being posted, they've just been updated/enhanced roms for existing Windows mobile devices and so haven't really cost sales and have possibly enhanced the ecosystem.

They're generally much much more concerned about piracy of their main OS. It remains to be seen how they will react to people trying port the ARM version of Windows 8, but they could easily react as strongly as they would for a normal x86 windows.

domineus
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Mobile OSes are less work than a full fledged operating system, plus, you need to consider legality.
That's never stopped developers from porting anything before...
I think at this point the largest hurdle is getting a build from an ARM dump. And drivers...can't forget about drivers.
DVP USERS! DONATE TO GET CHRIS WALSH A DVP SO WE CAN FINALLY GO NATIVE!!! GO HERE AND DONATE!!!!!!

dhiral.v
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Why would the legality be an issue? As long as you have a valid licence and key, when it officially becomes for sale, wouldn't it be ok?

ugothakd
Old
Thanks Meter 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiral.v View Post
Why would the legality be an issue? As long as you have a valid licence and key, when it officially becomes for sale, wouldn't it be ok?
It most likely won't.