Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,559 Members 52,434 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Consistent Force Closes (error logs included)

Tip us?

jprow507
Old
(Last edited by jprow507; 23rd September 2011 at 03:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 19
Has anyone figured this out yet? I have a Droid Incredible and am having the exact same problem multiple times a day ..... after the disk I/O errors and force closes whenever I try to open most of my apps, the phone will do a hot restart and sometimes the process will continue until I reboot and then it may go away for a while but it always comes back.

It has happened on the last 4 or so ROMs I've used (at first I thought it was a ROM problem) ..... it's like the phone is unable to communicate with memory (I thought it was the internal memory, but it could very well be the SD card). I haven't tried to pull the card out and run a scandisk on it yet. Has anyone with the issue done that and seen if it was fixed?

EDIT: I ran a scandisk on my SD and no errors were found? Any other recommendations?

jprow507
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I moved one of the apps that seemed to be having problems to internal storage (gReader) and still received an Commit I/O error (usually followed by force closes of many other apps both on and off the SD Card and then a hot restart). It doesn't seem like the SD card should be the culprit.

When you flash a new ROM and wipe everything, doesn't it wipe the entire internal storage except for the media portion? I would imagine I'm starting with a clean slate as far as internal storage goes each time but I still have issues for some reason .....

This is so frustrating .... I can't reliably use my phone anymore. The Vigor can't come out soon enough LOL.

mben1287
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I would say don't use titanium to restore data if you are that can cause unwanted effects I.have learned.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

jprow507
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mben1287 View Post
I would say don't use titanium to restore data if you are that can cause unwanted effects I.have learned.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App
I'm currently formatting my SD card and I'm going to flash a ROM and set everything up from scratch without using Titanium at all. I will report back with whether or not that fixes the force close issues mentioned on Post 1.

n1ghtwish
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
See OP for update - still no dice on the issue but I have noticed some things that may help with the investigation!

johantheolive
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I've been getting this too for the past few weeks. Christ is it aggravating. I'd thought maybe it was kernel related but none of the three I have switched between have changed. Have cleared caches, no dice...

I finally looked and saw that I had a little under 200mb free internal for apps. I moved a few to my SD card so I have 300mb+ free and havent seen a FC since I did that earlier this morning. Hopefully it stays...

eddie90000
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I would like to throw my hat into the ring.

This is happening to my wife and I too.

It started in CM7 and has persisted through changing ROMs. Although all the ROMs have been Senseless.

I do restore with Titanium Back Up, but only app data, no system data.

I really hope someone comes up with a fix to this problem.

eddie90000
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think I may have the problem fixed (hopefully).

I installed a cache cleaner and have it running ever 24 hours.

I have it on both my phone and my wife's phone and it is now running faster and better than ever.

If it continues working i will let tell you what cache cleaner I am using.

n1ghtwish
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
If you have Root Explorer, go into data/data/ and look at the top where the app shows you how much room you have left in that folder... You only have 150mb for your app data so if that's almost full, that's why the force closes are happening. I realized this today and moved my 3 biggest apps to the SD card and now I have 50mb free in the data folder.

Hope this helps

caosorio
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I had a similar problem with a Galaxy S runnint CM7. The problem was caused by partition /datadata being full.

You can check this by running this command as root:
df /datadata

If you see % used = 100 then this is you problem.

Just move some aps to the external SD card and it will solve the problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caosorio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]